“Cracking little restaurant”

Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jones cafe bistro is a family run restaurant at the heart of clarendon park.serving breakfast, lunch, alacarte, fresh fish, homemade dessert's, slices.
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We where recommended by friends to this small but friendly little bistro
Met by a smiling friendly blonde waitress who showed us to our table and told us what the specials where....good start

Ordered off the cocktail menu and my drink arrived in a quirky jam jar with lots of fruit....lovely

Went for the tiger prawns to start, but they'd sold out a bit disappointing but hey at least you know there fresh! Was guided by the waitress to try the squid instead,turned out to be a good choice!

Steak with peppercorn sauce for mains nicely pink and you get the sauce seperatley so it's not swimming in sauce really good

Was full to the brim after so just coffee and a mini desert to finish I thought this was a really good idea aswell

My bill was £62 quid for me and my wife bargain! I've booked for next Saturday!

2  Thank Xr31970

Reviewed 5 April 2014

To be fair we have been satisfied customers at Jone's Bistro for many years but last night was our first visit for a while and we were shocked by the difference in food quality. The delicious bread for the table arrived at the same time as our starter so we didn't get the pleasure of savouring bread and wine whilst anticipating our food. The brioche/mozzarella/tomato/basil starter was more like a compacted toastie, quite greasy and far too filling for a starter (I wished I'd just had the crusty bread and speciality butter provided on the table instead). My husband's lasagne main course was a small bowl (it looked like a cereal bowl) which literally had layers of lasagne pasta floating on a liquid gloop. Cutting through the pasta was perilous as the 'lasagne soup' spilled out over the edges of the bowl. My duck main course looked beautiful (and had lovely flavours) however the duck was thin, overcooked and therefore tough.
On the up side though, the service was extremely attentive and friendly (even thought they were busy), the Chardonnay was much nicer than anticipated, the bread delicious and the dessert (chocolate fondant) a pleasure.
Hopefully this negative experience was a one-off and things will improve again...

2  Thank Jollygosh
daisybeau, Owner at Jones' Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

hi there ,

thanks for your review and I'm sorry we let you down on friday evening,
its really important to me you have good quality well cooked food when you dine with us

pls contact me at the bistro and hopefully i can resolve this

thanks

andrew
owner

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Small little cafe came here once on a sunday and got eggs benedict and was amazing and then came again for a full breakfast and was awful, eggs were runny and sausage was way over cooked. Not to sure if i'll come again now.
Average priced, quick service and friendly staff

1  Thank Ani_x23x
Reviewed 16 March 2014

One of our fave restaurants but disappointed by the recent refurb when we visited in February which seems to have turned what was an intimate and cosy interior into a brightly lit and stark environment not unlike a motorway cafe. Usually a faultless experience but this time grubby wine glasses, grubby water carafe and food not up to its usual standard....do hope this was just a blip.

1  Thank Katarzyna K
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A lovely way to catch up with friends over a lovely brunch, we tried the delicious egg florentine with the perfectly poached runny egg just waiting to be burst in the spinach and hollandaise sauce. Not at all soggy as this comes on toasted bagel with fresh mushrooms, perfectly yummy, a treat and served with hash browns too. Well worth the wait. My husband tucked into his big breakfast of quality locally produced fat sausages and thick cut moist bacon with all the trimmings.Not the place to go if you're in a hurry as it's a victim of it's own success with every table packed they turned down 12 people looking for tables while we were waiting for our food.
Great for a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning.

1  Thank jane c