“Spectacularly rude proprietor but decent food, fairly priced”
Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #629 of 1,153 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leicester
“Spectacularly rude proprietor but decent food, fairly priced”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Ok, I will to try to be as objective as possible after having been given the worst service four people have ever experienced: Generally, everyone enjoyed their food. My pate starter was too cold but tasty, braised lamb shank slightly under seasoned but very well cooked, pancake dessert was delicious. Waiting staff were polite and pleasant. The fact that orders had to be double checked by the proprietor indicated that there was something wrong with the communication between waiters and the kitchen. My three friends ordered coffee (I did not). When the coffee came one was sent back because it was not what was ordered. The proprietor then came to our table and made it clear - to me - that it was my fault the coffee order was wrong and not his. All four of us were gobsmacked by the proprietor's aggressive behaviour. The bill came with service included. I pointed out to the waitress that the food and her service were good but that I wanted the service charge removed because we had never before experienced such rudeness from the proprietor of a restaurant. The proprietor then came to tell us that he had not been rude ('because he hadn't used swear words, or anything') and that, again, I was mistaken. Then, finally, at the end there was an apology. Too little, too late. We will never go back to this restaurant and I cannot recommend it to anyone because the proprietor does not seem to be aware of his own aggressive behaviour towards the customers.

3 Thank travelwearyLeicester

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, you wouldn't even know it was there!”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We went here at the weekend recommended by a friend, and really enjoyed it. I walk past this place every morning, and with the shutters down, you wouldn't even realise there was an Italian restaurant there! We had the pate with toast and onion chutney and tomato and mozarella salad for starters which were good. We both chose veal for mains but cooked in different ways, one with a marsala sauce and the other with a creamy mushroom sauce, and both tasted amazing, along with the homemade garlic bread. Probably the best course though was the homemade lemon cheesecake, which we had to share! I'm not a pudding person, but this just melted in your mouth! Will definitely be coming back again!

“Heaven on a plate”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This was our third visit to La Dolce Vita and it continues to impress. My starter of mussels in a cream sauce caused me to request a soup spoon to finish off the sauce......beautiful. The main of braised lamb shank was beautifully cooked and literally fell of the bone, the accompanying jus complemented it perfectly. I finished with panacotta bread and butter pudding. A fellow diner and I agreed that it was probably one of the finest deserts we had tasted. Keep up the good work, we are already looking forward to our next visit.

“Scrummy”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

La Dolce Vita always gives a warm welcome. Nothing is too much trouble. The waitress was helpful and went out of her way to make us feel welcome. The food is always lovely, a good selection cooked and presented well.
An informal place with lots of warmth, a rare combination these days. Go and check it out and enjoy.

• Visited February 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
“If only the Spanish waiter was on the menu!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Fantastic food and atmosphere but nothing compared to the wonderful floor show put on by Pepe including his majic show for the kids!!!! I would come and pay just for this alone, but the food and wine was also good!