“First Time for Ages”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It's been a good 3-4 years since I've eaten at La Dolce Vita, mainly because we moved out of the city centre into rural Leicestershire 3 years ago and there are enough good options out in the Shire to save journeying into the city centre.

Having been confident enough to state that this was the best Italian we'd had in Leicester after trying numerous others but always falling back to eating at LDV as our favourite, we had high hopes for another great meal.

Partly down to my choice of main and partly down to just something I can't quite put my finger on, it seems like a bit of the old magic has gone. There wasn't anything you could point at and catagorically state it was poor, in fact my goats cheese wrapped in vine leaves was a great dish and one I'd have again without hesitation.

The prices aren't unreasonable and the service is always good (or has been every time we've been there) so I can't really moan about anything in isolation. Aside from the starter, the veal main was fine albeit a bit of a leftfield choice for me and not something I'd have again despite it being cooked perfectly adequately (chips were excellent mind), my wife's steak looked good and she was happy enough whilst the tiramasu was ok but nothing special.

So whats happened? I'm not sure

Would I go back? I think so but not with the same excitement or anticipation we did this time

Would I recommend LDV? Just about but I can't help thinking that there must be better Italian options available in the City it's just that after 3 years living outside the city, I don't know where!

4  Thank JackRoy

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Although I have previously enjoyed meals here, our fourth visit showed they have definitely declined. Reviews which claim this to be the best Italian in Leicester are having you on, and not helpful to La Dolce Vita. However, we had hoped it would prove a reasonably reliable local near to us, to save having to go into town. The ingredients (pasta, meatballs, etc) are out of a packet, and sauces are crude and badly made. Whilst they were half empty on a summer Saturday evening, the new Turkish opposite had queues waiting to get in, so they need to improve the food if they are to stay in business.

4  Thank rtressell
ladolcevita_12, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi, thanks for your review of La Dolce Vita.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit.
I would like to assure you that all of our food is freshly made on the premises.
I am confused that you say we are in decline after 43 years of business but still very busy with loyal customers. To compare us to the Turkish restaurant across the road is slightly misconstrued as we have completely different menus.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

After having given the Dolce Vita a 5 star review previously, I was so disappointed with a recent visit.
The fillet steak had a tough membrane running through the centre which made it almost inedible
and was incorrectly cooked. Even the chips weren't up to their usual standard. The squid was a very small portion and was extremely chewy
It takes a while to get a regular customer but at todays prices it doesn't take long to lose one.
I just can't justify a return visit - such a pity!

4  Thank shako40
LaDolceVita36, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

We have sold countless portions of squid and fillet steak prior to and post this review without any complaints. Like a lot of reviewers, you seem unable to highlight any problems on the night you visited. The squid takes two minutes to fry therefore could have been replaced very quickly. We moniter all of our deliveries and have never found any fillets with huge membranes. Such a fillet would never have left the kitchen. As for being incorrectly cooked, again if highlighted this could have been rectified.

We are always happy to help at La Dolce Vita and resolve any problems with the food you may have. If you do reconsider to come here again, notify us of any problem so you don't go away unsatisfied with your meal.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was my first visit to LDV in many years and whilst the premises remain the same much has changed . The old Italian guy Angelo is no longer there but has been replaced by two lovely ladies who were very pleasant and helpful .
Its strange that a city the size of Leicester has so few decent privately owned Mediterranean / Italian restaurants so its always pleasing when you come across a little gem like this .
Its a small place maybe only seating 30 diners so booking is very advisable .
The menu has a good and varied choice and there was also an excellent specials blackboard .
I started with pan fried tiger prawns and my wife had the goats cheese and tomatoes wrapped in vine leaves - both were superb .
For mains I had the belly pork and crackling served in a cider sauce with mushrooms and my wife had fillets of sea bass and again both were excellent .
The only slight niggle we had and its almost churlish to mention it is that we ordered a side dish of mixed veg which was a bit bland and unadventurous to be honest comprising carrots broccoli and cauliflower - some nice Mediterranean veg or even ratatouille would have been much better .
A very enjoyable evening at a price that doesn't break the bank in nice surroundings with friendly staff !! Belissimo as I believe they say in Italy !!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Living in Devon, I was given the task by my daughter of organising a family meal to be had in Leicester where we used to live. Very daunting as we haven't been there for 5 years!
I found this place on trip adviser having remembered Angelos spaghetti inn from my youth. From the moment of trying to book, everything was made so easy for us by the owner Peter. All staff on the night went over and above to ensure my daughters birthday was one to remember. Service was second to none, food was gorgeous (albeit huge portions!!), and the atmosphere was warm, intimate and perfect for a larger group to celebrate together. Thank you Peter for giving my daughter a wonderful 18th birthday she will always remember! I cannot recommend this place highly enough for a party of this kind.

1  Thank Ally V