“What a waste of time and petrol!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #660 of 1,139 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Northampton, United Kingdom
“What a waste of time and petrol!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

A friend booked a table for 7.15 pm at La Dolce Vita for a party of six to celebrate my birthday despite some of the poor reviews. Unfortunately, we ended up leaving the restaurant without even ordering our meal!
When we arrived the proprietor said he had made 'a mistake' with the booking as a couple were having a meal at our table and the only thing he could suggest was to seat us at two separate tables until the couple had finished their meal. We clearly were not happy but went along with his suggestion despite his lack of charm and ended up sitting at two separate tables next to the couple who had just started their main course. As we sat there I apologised to the couple as it must have been apparent from our conversation that we were unhappy and the couple told me that they had been informed the table would not be needed until 8.30pm. Already having felt let down we decided to leave as we did not want to spoil the couples evening aswell as our own especially as the proprietor did not even have the decency of offering us a complimentary drink for his 'mistake'.
Clearly we will NOT be going back and suggest the proprietor attends the school of charm if he wants people patronising his restaurant.
Also, I can honestly say that the fine wine, fish and chips we ended up having that night was definitely 'la dolce vita' and the paper the fish and chips came in were a whole lot cleaner than the menus we were presented with in the restaurant!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Liz H
ladolcevita_12, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
In response to your review, particularly with regard to my "lack of charm", I must make readers aware of your groups lack of patience.

A rare mistake was made with your booking and it was explained clearly if you had listened. The couple who were eating at your table would be asked to move on completion of their main course. Not wishing to uproot the couple mid meal, I sat four and two of you adjacent to each other with the view that by the time you had ordered your drinks and food, I would have moved the young couple to another table, enabling the six of you to sit together. The amount of time to achieve this would've been 10-15 minutes maximum.
After sitting down, nobody in your group gave any inclination that you were about to get up and leave. I have to ask myself why you came to our restaurant in the first place when you say that you came despite the poor reviews?
The other 45 people we served that Saturday night have obviously left satisfied which I am sure we would have been able to achieve for yourselves if you had shown a little more patience.
How we can be scored 1 star for food, atmosphere and value when you never even stayed to sample those aspects of La Dolce Vita?

Leicester, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Went to his restaraunt after being recommended by a family member who has been numerous times. The restaraunt is situated on Narborough Road in Leicester which is a busy road. I used to travel past this restaraunt twice a day onto my way to work and never noticed it.

The restaraunt is quite small however it gives it a homely feel. The staff are very friendly and the person who took the booking asked if we were new to the restaraunt and remembered us when we arrived, which gave a personal touch.

The food was really nice, I had a vegetarian pancake dish and was not expecting much however I wasn't dissappointed. The portions are generous and the prices are what you'd normally expect for an Italian. The only critism for me is that they only had 2 meat free options on the menu, however I expect if you wanted one of their pasta dishes without the meat it could be done. The house wine is nice and only £10 a bottle.

All in all a really enjoyable meal which friendly staff.

• Visited December 2013
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Lovely little place, very friendly staff, tasty food, generous portions and reasonable prices. Chain italians are not a patch on this, will definitely return.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank trellybear
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice place, nice food, nice staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

2 or 3 times a year a group of us meet up when we're all back from Uni. Before our previous meeting we all agreed we wanted to go somewhere a bit different and a bit nicer then our usual trips to the major chain restaurants. My Dad recommended La Dolce Vita as he had been some years ago and said it was excellent. As we're all students I needed to make sure we'd all be able to afford the restaurant and so rang up inquiring about food prices and the manager kindly emailed me a menu. We all agreed it seemed cheap enough for us and so went. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the owner who got us drinks (nice cheap wine) and went through the specials board to us. He knew we were students as I had explained to him on the phone and he knew we didn't want to be spending a lot, and so it was fantastic to be treated just as nicely as customers paying for the more expensive meals. Most of us decided to have pasta of some sort because it was £7 or £8, I can't quite remember now. What we got for the money was excellent, fantastic service and very good food. Food wise I can only review my dish in detail as I cannot remember any negative comments from the rest of the party, only positive ones. I had a spicy meatball dish off the specials board. The meatballs were by far the best I've ever had. The level of spice in them was perfect, not so spicy that you can't taste the meat but spicy enough to be noticeable. I was thoroughly impressed with them. However the sauce they were served with was not quite so great, it was quite bland in flavour and my friend, who had the same dish but with regular non spicy meatballs, said he much preferred mine (we tried a bit of each other's) and I certainly agreed. I tried a bit of another friends carbonara and that was also really nice and could only comment that it was a tad too rich/creamy. I had a dessert and couldn't fault that, it was very nice, although I can't remember if I had cheesecake or tirimasu. I seem to remember them not doing profiteroles which was a shame. With regards to the criticisms though I'm a very critical person and for the money that you pay it isn't fair to complain or be put off from going. I think I ended up spending less then £15 for a main, glass of wine and a dessert which is fantastically cheap for what feels like a more up market restaurant with friendly staff. I'd definitely recommend you try it. Next time we're arranging a meet up I'll definitely be saying we visit again. Big thanks to the wonderful staff of this restaurant!

• Visited August 2013
“Always excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've been coming here for years. The food is always outstanding. I've had one of the best steaks ever here.
It's like eating in the front room of an Italian family. I can't praise this place highly enough, Easily the best Italian in Leicester and one of the best restaurants in the city.

• Visited September 2013