“Tip top Hotel”
Review of Hotel Maiyango

Hotel Maiyango
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 29 January 2012

As a frequent traveller for business and pleasure, I am always very appreciative when a friend gives me a hotel recommendation that pays off. This was definately the case with hotel Maiyango. So why is it such a find?

Location, couldn't be more central in Leicester city centre just a couple of hundred metres from the flashy Highcross shopping centre, which pleased my girlfriend greatly.

Staff, well presented and polite even when we arrived back past midnight.

Room, stylish and spacious, slept like a baby.

Food, the restaurant below is a real treat and the cocktails went down a little too well.

Keep up the good work Maiyangos, I'll be back!!!

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed here for a party so was very handy. A little hard to find the entrance but once you get in you feel like you are in a slick little pocket of Leicester. Lovely attention to detail in rooms like yummy cowshed toiletries and soft slippers. Expected noise from outside as this is a city centre hotel but actually it was quiet. However a lot of noise from upstairs throughout the night and early morning! Understand the dim lighting in room but was a little too dim. Asked for an iron as was getting ready in a hurry but it took around half an hour. When checking out was asked by receptionist the cost of water from the mini bar which was a little bemusing. Also despite having agreed a late check-out we were called to ask why we hadn't left the room! Overall, modern rooms and would definitely recommend staying here above chain hotels but service just needs to be a little slicker though staff are friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed at Maiyango hotel for two nights in Jan. Upon first impressions thought it was a good central location though a bit quirky with reception on the third floor.

Reception staff were all very friendly, well presented and helpful. Check in was done very efficiently.

I stayed in Room 9 which was very spacious and comfortable.Despite the hotel being situated in the centre, i found i had a great sleep. Liked the choice of cowshed toiletries- very cool and fluffy towels. Felt like going from one home to another!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I was looking for a treat for my partner Birthday and with not wanting to break the bank Maiyango looked perfect, with it's cocktail friday offer for only £150.

We were welcomed by friendly staff and made to feel at home as soon as we arrived. I was worried about the reviews on the noise but i thought after a few cocktails it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

The offer included a cocktail classes for two, I was planning to book a table somewhere else as my partner loves thai food but my friend persuaded me to book the restaurant afterwards, as she'd been there before and loved it. The cocktail class was great fun, and I learnt how to make my favourite drink... Mojito! It's brilliant for that special treat.

The restaurant did not disappoint either and the atmosphere was great, you didn't even feel like you were in Leicester with all the fabrics and romantic lighting.

Both myself and my partner slept really well, and we decided to have our cooked breakfast in bed in the end as we had a few too many cocktails in the restaurant as they were so yummy!

Thank you Maiyango, it was the perfect birthday present and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were invited back to Maiyango after a dissapointing first trip by the manager. Previously we had to leave the hotel due to the extent of the noise. We were invited back and I hoped that my opinions would be changed second time around. Upon arrival the room was lovely, there was a problem with the lighting and after a couple of staff had played with the fuses eventually they realised it was just the lights on dim!! Dinner was good although having visited the restaurant a number of times it does start to seem slightly repetitive and the menu doesn't change much. At the end of the meal, I asked the waitress if she required me to sign the bill and she said no all is fine so I presumed they had our room number noted and we walked back to the hotel, only to be chased down the street by the bouncer and a member of staff & asked to sign the bill....very embarrassing and unprofessional! We returned to the room and the noise was horrendous, considering they were trying to win my business back they placed me in a corner room opposite the taxi rank and next to Weatherspoons. Overall very disappointing and I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Pick a hotel with double glazing!
Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MrsCliffo
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for 1 night as part of our Wedding Anniversary celebrations.
Location: City Centre location next to the Highcross centre, a major shopping centre in Leicester. Pros - within easy walking distance of a variety of pubs, bars, restaurants, shops and other places of interest. Cons - as mentioned by other reviewers the noise... not really unexpected in a city centre admittedly, but what I didn't expect was the loud mechanical voice and warning signals that came from the bollards which block off a nearby pedestrianized street. Deliveries which set off the recording started early in the morning and seemed to go on a long time - perhaps some extra soundproofing would be a good idea.

Room: As it was a special occasion we booked the Suite. Pros - a clean, comfortable room; very spacious, with ample storage, large bed, desk, wall mounted TV, and a separate seating area. There were some nice little touches - fruit bowl, petit-fours, bottled water. There was coffe/tea making facilities with 'real' milk in the minibar. The bathroom was large with a huge bath. Robes and slippers were provided as well as plenty of towels. Cons - the lighting was too subdued for comfort - in some areas of the room I almost felt that I should have brought a torch!

Breakfast: A continental breakfast was complimentary and it was adequate. There were cooked options at an extra charge which we did not sample, though the menu suggested it would have been good.

Staff -all the staff we came in contact with were pleasant and helpful; we did feel sorry for the young man who checked us in, as the keycard system went on the blink and no room cards would work - it took him some time to get that sorted out - technology... a wonderful thing when it works!

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed at the hotel on 19th December, I booked 2 Superior Rooms for our Christmas Party - I have to say, this Hotel was absolutely amazing!

From the moment we walked in, we were not in Leicester, but Morocco!

The Superior room was huge, absolutely immaculate & quiet, despite being told about the party above. We had bath robe & slippers & the bath was large enough for 2!!!

The free wifi was great so we could Skype our 2 young boys - along with the flat screen tv!

We also enjoyed the lobby bar which was very cosy, we enjoyed wine & buckets of beer in ice, the service was incredible!

We had some issues with staff not confirming Christmas party bookings etc & we ended up having to eat in the Restaurant instead - but thank goodness for the staff's mistake because if not we would have never found this gem! The manager made sure we were taken care of with upgraded courses, wine etc. and the food was amazing (see Restaurant Review).

The Restaurant
From the moment we walked through the door you would not realise you were in Leicester, but at a kasbar! as the night went on, the food & service was outstanding, we can't believe a small train journey away brought us to this little gem!

The food was like Masterchef, and we could not fault a single item that was ordered, as we stayed in the Hotel, we were upgraded to our deserts being included & so glad we were - they were amazing - I can't say enough about this Restaurant - apart from - I will be going back & especially to try their cocktails!

Room Tip: Definitely book the Restaurant!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends