“Good food and room- one major problem”
Review of Hotel Maiyango

Hotel Maiyango
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We stayed on a Sunday night and ate in the restaurant. The food was really good and the room was very nice. Unfortunately we found that we had been bitten by bed bugs the next day! I received an email from the hotel asking for any feedback. I replied regarding the above- 20 days later- no response. Unacceptable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JtotheB
HotelMaiyango, Manager at Hotel Maiyango, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Dear Reviewer

You are completely right, it is totally unacceptable why you did not receive a reply, especially after going to the trouble of contacting you for feedback in the first place! For this I can only apologise.

Regarding you being bitten, I can assure you we have never come across this problem and the way our linen is laundered, handled and wrapped by our laundry company before being sent back to us would make it virtually impossible for there to be any issues. Furthermore our experienced Housekeeping team run a fantastic operation at the Hotel and it is their attentiveness that keeps our guests coming back time after time.

Without knowing where else you may have been, how your clothes were washed and stored in your luggage it is unrealistic to lay the blame with us.

Reviewed 24 February 2011

We visited the hotel restaurant as it was recommended by several friends, we booked a booth so that we could have a cosy meal, when we arrived we were told we were late and that the other party had not vacated the booth so we would have to wait, we advised that we were in fact early and suggested a round of drinks for our trouble. Basically we waited about an hour, the staff were rude they did not offer us an alternative table and with every course came an attitude!! When it came to paying the staff could not be bothered to come to the table so we went to the bar where they ignored us! we did eventually pay but not before advising them if they didn't take our money there and then we wouldn't bother handing it over!! Don't bother eating here unless you want to be insulted on arrival and then treated badly throughout the duration of your meal, we can't remember if the food was long as it took so long to get to the table. not a night to remember.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nelly024
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We booked in for the Sunday night offer which included dinner at the restaurant. the food was exquisite and the cocktails delightful. Our room was beautiful and spacious with a really comfortable bed.
We are booked in to return again later this year. Such a lovely hotel with a nice atmosphere. Quite in the rooms and a lively feeling to the bars and restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I recently attended a wedding party at Hotel Maiyango. The venue was chosen by the weeding party as it was close to the wedding venue and offered the kind of food and venue the bride and groom wanted. All good on that front.

The evening bash was great, it's a nice place but does have pretensions of being something perhaps it could be if it wasn't where it is (about a taxi rank, next to a Weatherspoons pub - not very classy but great inside).

The evening however and my take on their business was ruined by a simple mistake and a complete and utter lack of customer friendliness that left me speechless.

I was given a bottle of champagne by the bridal party for helping with the wedding. A nice gift and unexpected. I offered this bottle to a table of friends and their partners I had met at the stag and thought nothing more of it until I was informed that the Champers had been taken off them after they opened it and was behind the bar with a £30 corkage fee if we wanted it back.

To cut a long story short, when I talked to the bar manager and explained it was an honest mistake (it was a wedding party for Christ's sake!) and that it was not only a mistake but a gift from the bride I was told that it made do difference to her. If I wanted the Champagne back I would have to pay £30. Needless to say I let them keep the bottle.

In short, this manager had no quibbles about trying to grind out another £30 from a party guest (on top of the extremely expensive london-priced bar prices!), would not make any concessions and pretty much told me it was her way or the high-way. Considering there was over 100 people at the event, all paying their over the top prices, one extra bottle of unpaid for champagne wouldn't have broken their bank.

I for one will never go there again simply because if you can't get the basics right you don't deserve my business.

• Stayed: February 2011
4  Thank spaccaboy
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed on a Saturday night. Very pleasant welcome from reception who, as we hadn't stayed before, escorted us to our room. This was the suite which consisted of an enormous bedroom, sizeable bathroom and a rather small sitting area off the bedroom. Very comfortable and large bed and if I could have figured a way to fit the bath into my car I might well have stolen it!
There was some noise from the street - unsurprising as it is a city centre hotel - though the main issue with noise was the scurrying of the staff first thing (around 5am) in the morning. Unfortunately the room is directly below the reception area which has hard floors so you can hear every footstep.
Only minor complaint is that the menus in the room are out of date so our breakfast was somewaht different to expectations (though we didn't try the restaurant in the evening, that menu was also out of date in the room - dated three months previously).
As I say, minor issues really, but at this price I would have expected the relatively easy admin details to be 100% sorted.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

This is a wonderful contemporary boutique hotel. Wonderful rooms, fabulous food and well worth the superlatives heaped upon it by other reviewers. However...
Rooms 12, 14 and 15 are on the 2nd floor and directly below the bar / reception / lounge area. All of the rooms have hard flooring and until 1.30 am and again from 5am, staff walking back and forth across the room sounded like hippos marching above my head. With no carpets to deaden the sound, the cacophony was awful - even when wearing earplugs. The bed vibrated to each step and the room was like an echo chamber, magnifying the noise.
If you desire peace, tranquility and a restful nights sleep after a busyday, do NOT sleep in these rooms.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Eileenbrown
Reviewed 5 December 2010

A boutique hotel in the center of Leicester well place for shops and nightlife. The hotel is hidden above shops close to the Highcross shopping centre, we stayed in a deluxe room which was huge! it had a very comfortable king size bed and a great touch was the pillow menu which allows you to choose the type of pillow you prefer, my choice was the" white goose feather" perfect! the bathrooms are beautiful with the biggest fluffiest towels and everything you could need for a nights stay. We ate in the hotels restaurant where the food was delicious and cocktails too tempting! Every member of staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The hotel offers a great bed,breakfast and evening meal rate which we thought was exceptionally good value.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends