“Urgh... So many rickety stairs!”
Review of Castle Park Hotel

Castle Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This trip was for me and my partner to go visit friends from university, and this hotel was quite conveniently located which is the only positive for me that I can think of about this hotel. We arrived in to check in and the receptionist tried to charge me for the room despite already having paid on the website. After showing her my confirmation emails she then realised there was a mix up though this took around 5 minutes with most of it saying how I was wrong. I got the keys and noticed we were on the top floor. We were told when breakfast would be and when we would check out. So we made our way up, we weren't escorted which does not surprise me, though there was no offer of it which does.

So we went up the stairs; as you can see by the title were awfully rickety and; me not having a great thing for heights did not enjoy going up or down them. So we finally made it onto the top floor, the hotel was a little shabby on the way up but nothing too bad, fallen light fitting, ripped carpet. We got to the room and the door handles were loose... Great start I thought. and it took some gigging but we finally were able to open the door onto.....

The tiniest room I have ever stopped in. It had a double bed in the middle of the room and about a foot of leg room around the bed. Needless to say opening the door fully was not possible. The en-suite was not to bad but only given one towel for the two of us... so my partner went to get another. In the meantime I went to get a more thorough look. The walls were all scuffed marked simply because of the lack of space, damage to the walls and even scuff marks on a pillow. The guess welcome pack was also grubby with so many scraps of paper with all the things that had changed over the course of the packs lifetime which looked considerable.

That evening once we got back from friends we got back and went to lay down after a long day... again having to walk up the stairs which I hated. We could hear the rest of the occupants on the same floor and the walls are not thin. Fortunately all I could hear was talking but It could have been much much worse.

That morning we woke I did not attend the breakfast but my partner did, my partner told be about the burnt croissants and pain au chocolates and the lack of what was on offer. Also the breakfast area was in the basement, how lovely I thought.

Another night we spent and then it came to check out the next morning... we checked out on a Sunday and check out time is 10.30 which is very early in my experience. Though unusually reception did not open on a Sunday till that time, however there was a back post post for keys to check out... felt like thanks for your money now be on your way it didn't seem secure either just to leave the keys there. Service was poor all round. Apart from the cleaner who was very polite, though from the experience not very good at it.

Overall, I would not stay in this place again, the premier inn seems like much more of an attractive option.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank propapanda1

Reviewed 14 October 2013

A group of us come over from Limerick every year to a rugby match at Tigers and we have been staying at this hotel since 2006 and will be returning again in Jan '14. I highly recommend this neat, very reasonably priced City Centre hotel for any visitor to Leicester

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We had to walk up lots of stairs with dirty ripped carpets (no lift) we got to the room door it looked like it had been kicked in at sometime we went into the room it was a really grotty room very dull and boring the bed covers looked grubby so did the towels when I opened the bed there was a hair the kind you don't want to see anywhere, I went in the shower room the shower was filthy,the basin was dirty, sat down gingerly on the bed looked at each other and said we can't stay here it is disgusting so we went on the internet and booked into the premier inn which was only £20 more for twin bed room .i have never been in such an dirty and depressing hotel

Room Tip: Book into another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I booked in as My daughter was moving into De Montfort Uni, so needed somewhere cheap and close to stay. Lovely hotel, central and clean. Only issue is had a shared bathroom but this was fine, but just be aware not all rooms ensuite.

Will definately stay again when I visit the daughter in Leicester.

Room Tip: try and get an ensuite
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
MagJ1897, General Manager at Castle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

All feedback is valuable to us as it helps us evaluate our products and services in line with our guests expectations. Thank you once again for your choosing to stay at Castle Park Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I tentatively booked 4 nights at this hotel, and was so impressed, I extended my stay for another 4 nights. Perfect position in the heart of Leicester, clean, tidy, nice decor, great continental breakfast choice, excellent value for money, and exceptional helpful and friendly service.
I will definitely book again, and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
MagJ1897, General Manager at Castle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed alone while visiting family in Leicester and was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, for a very low price you get a big room with a tv and free wi-fi and a complimentary breakfast! The staff very very accommodating and helpful, I would definitely recommend this hotel and will visit again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Pleasantly surprised with the quality and service. Room was nice and clean, staff was friendly and helpful, excellent location (close to city shopping centre), price included continental breakfast, well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo