“basic but good value”
Review of Castle Park Hotel

Castle Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Central location , cheap and cheerful, and staff pleasant.
Decent continental breakfast, and rooms comfy if a bit basic.
Not suitable for anyone who cannot climb stairs , as they are pretty steep and no lift.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify twin or double
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
MagJ1897, General Manager at Castle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

All feedback is valuable to us as it helps us evaluate our products and services in line with our guests expectations. Thank you once again for your choosing to stay at Castle Park Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I visited during a heavy snow storm and the City was deserted apart from the odd commuter stuck without any Buses and few Taxis available which made me think that the very well located and easy to find Hotel would be busy with stranded people,it wasn't.
I was made very welcome and the room was up a couple of flights of stairs and I managed to find two ways down to reception without fathoming how.
The staff were very helpful when I asked if they could get me a Taxi to the Football Ground,but due to the weather the efforts were in vain.
The room was excellent and quiet (although I couldn't work out how to release the plug in the sink).I did not find the morning traffic disturbed my sleep
If you wanted a Drink or meal you are spoilt for choice as there are numerous Bars and Restaurants nearby.
Minus points were trying to find the Breakfast room and wondering where everyone was which meant I wasn't sure what I could take or how much. I liked the choice of continental breakfast but I gather some would have liked a warm or cooked meal given the weather.

Room Tip: Late rooms gave me a massive discount and if their not full ask for en suite if like me you booked a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

You get what you pay for. What did disappoint me was that the shared bathroom was on the next floor down and the bed awfully skweeky. All very very basic. However the pace was clean with friendly staff. The location is nice and Central and my was at the back so I didn't experience much noise.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Danny B

Reviewed 12 February 2014

The hotel is situated in a brilliant location with lots of near by amenities, the decor is very tasteful and the rooms are a very good size. All this is made even more brilliant by the very affordable prices. When booking a continental breakfast is included, which was very substantial with lots of choice. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful.
The only draw back of this hotel is because of its central location there is lots of noise at night from the surrounding bars and traffic, also there is no lift, which may be an issue for some if they are situated on the top floor.
Overall we were very impressed and will stay again if visiting Leicester again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We chose this hotel as we read a couple of good reviews and it was well located in the centre of Leicester.
We arrived at 1pm and our room wasn't ready (check-in starts at 2pm). Plus the person who welcomed us has managed to put us off from the start by telling us that "the area ins't safe so we shouldn't park here". At that point we were already disappointed.
We came back after 2pm, our room was on the 3rd floor (no lift). The room was very dusty and not very clean. The bed wasn't comfortable at all, extremely low and very 'bouncy'.
We had a horrible night sleep, not only because of the bed but because the hotel is located right next to a nightclub so extremely noisy. Taxis didn't stop biping their horns before 5am!
Breakfast was average, service was poor, no one checking on us, asking whether we want tea or coffee, etc.
When we left, there was no one at reception so we left our keys in a box.
I have hardly every seen such a poor quality of service. Not the best value for money either, you can probably find much better for the same price or even cheaper.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marjo1609
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The cheapest room I could find in Leicester - as a student attending a conference, I wanted to spend as little money as possible, and this was the answer.

Although I had booked a non-en suite room, I found myself apparently upgraded to one with a bathroom. The room quality was fine - smart bed and bed linen, thick curtains to keep our the light, and the neighbours weren't too noisy. The bathroom was a little on the shabby side, but fine, functional. The lady on the front desk was very friendly, if a little stressed as it was apparently her first day. Breakfast was included, and was perfectly adequate, with a relatively wide range of choices.

The hotel is located in a relatively central area of town, surrounded by bars and clubs - I was pleasantly surprised to find that in my room I couldn't hear any of them, but I imagine you could end up with the bad luck to be on the other side of the hotel. Coming in late at night the area might be seen as a bit threatening.

If you are only staying for a short time, not spending too much time in your room, and are able to cope with a few knocks to the paintwork, there's nothing wrong with this place at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My dad booked this hotel as we were travelling away supporters going to watch our team play the Tigers. If you are visiting for this reason, the hotel is perfect. 10 minutes walk from Welford Road and a central location to go for a beer after the game. The room was basic, but clean. The beds weren't the best I've slept in but at this price, you really can't complain. The only minor gripe was the scalding hot shower in our room - far too hot to even attempt standing under. Having said that, we have already talked about coming to our away fixture here next season and will definitely be staying at this hotel. For the price you pay, you can't beat it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends