“Not good for the money”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not good for the money”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I had looked forward to two nights in a great small city and chose this place after reading other reviews.
The appearance of this gaunt building sandwiched between the MacDonalds and Morrisons was not encouraging - but at least the cathedral was in sight still. Though the location for tourist activity is OK - it is far from the best even at the price. Car parking is a charged extra - listen closely to how to work the barrier system!
The room was OK - not large,but clean enough. The carpet could have benefited from a shampoo and the complementary services in the room were weak - we had to ask for tea bags etc during stay.
Far the worst feature of the stay were the breakfasts. They were basically a 'university hall' service. The same each day, little choice was available, and the scrambled egg was sloppy and unpalatable. The sausages lacked taste and seating was uncomfortable.
The reception staff did a lot to recover from the very worst kind of experience.
Do the business people - or those visiting the nearby University - not want something better on visiting Lincoln. We certainly will!

Room Tip: Get high to reduce sound impact from large roundabout
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DSPENCERPHILLIPS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lincoln City Centre, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel, it is only with guests feedback that we can aim on improving what we already offer, I’m sorry you seem confused by the car park operation I can only think this is due to the fact that we have a free 15 minute window for people being picked up/dropped off that in this “window” we cannot validate your ticket after this period once validated the ticket works for the duration of your stay enabling exit and entry.
As part of a branded hotel group guests choose us for consistency and we uphold this by standardising our offering, if you stay at an Holiday Inn Express in London or in Lincoln the product is the same. The number of complimentary teas and coffee’s in the room is one of our standards, and as you mention we supply more on a request basis at the front desk.
I’m sorry you didn’t like the fact our free breakfast is self-service and it is an area under constant review and after guest feedback we added three hot items to what was historically a cold continental selection we now have over thirty items in our breakfast buffet.
Once again thank you for your review

Darren Spencer-Phillips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

There are two Holiday Inn Express hotels in the city only about 500 metres apart, this one was £50 less than the one on the riverfront but no less quality. Well fitted and new enough to feel good. Staff very helpful, room very quiet considering a busy roundabout adjacent. Will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We were on fourth floor so maybe that helps in getting separation from the traffic below.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

On my first night at the hotel I have to say the food was well below par from what I would expect from such a chain hotel.
The check in receptionist did not stand out at all, however in the evening duty manager Ryan and his colleague Chris, were chatty, welcoming and everything I would expect from hotel staff.
Must say on the second night I was served my dinner in was placed in front of me the young lady serving did not look at me, but swiftly turned and walked away, without bothering to ask if it was the correct meal, if I needed anything else, god forbid a smile!
Once again duty manager Ryan and Chris were on duty, I now feel that if the other members of staff are the ones we encounter, Ryan and Chris should be training managers for the group!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DSPENCERPHILLIPS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lincoln City Centre, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I’m sorry you felt that the food was “below par” as part of the holiday inn express group we do not offer a full a la carte dining experience but in line with our brand a small selection of simple classic favourites. I will certainly pass on your comments to Ryan and Chris and I am glad that they displayed excellent customer service; this makes your other comments particularly disappointing regarding the other members of the team you encountered, once again thank you for the comments.

Cambs
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Hotel very well located and short walk into old town Lincoln. Staff very helpful and friendly. Well above average than some of the other Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in. Onsite car park although this is extra cost.

Room Tip: Room facing city ideal as view over Lincoln and Cathedral
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We (family of 4) recently stayed here for an extended period, and were well catered for. Obviously an apartment would have been better, but unfortunately it wasn't an option, as it was a work trip. The rooms were serviced daily, and although myself and the kids did hang around the room from time to time, we were never interrupted for cleaning. The rooms were an ok size for a family, consisting of a queen size bed, with a sofa bed that was permanently in bed position for the kids. Breakfast was self service and included, plus very substantial. The restaurant menu was pretty basic, and a little overpriced for what you can get around town, but fair if you're considering convenience. The pizza's were quite good. It's very much a typical hotel, décor wise, that's very clean with pleasant helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have stayed in an express before and was not overly looking forward to my stay, but I was pleasantly surprised. The reception staff were very pleasant and checked me in quickly. My room was a good size with a good sized working area and nice sofa, so no sitting on the bed all the time. There was a problem with my room but they moved me straight away with no fuss. You will need to bring all your smellies as only a basic body wash is provided. The bar area is nice and somewhere you might want to sit and have a drink. The breakfast was basic, but not too bad. Good location for the city centre, only a 10 min walk into town. When I come back to Lincoln I will probably book here again.

Room Tip: There is no gym within the hotel and parking is not free. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel ov...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review Its great to hear when guests have had a great stay and we provided everything they needed, myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back soon

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We use the Holiday Inn chain regularly throughout the UK.. and this one was excellent for location, nice friendly staff helping us choose a Restaurant for a special evening (The Old Bakery), the foyer/bar area always had people around and was lively a place you actually wanted to sit and have a drink or snack and watch the world go by and definitely no complaints with the free Breakfast....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple