“Fiasco, funny in retrospect, but would never go back!”
Review of The Poplars

The Poplars
Ranked #24 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nobody there when I arrived at the arranged time. Followed email instructions to get to the blue door in the dark and rain, bell not answered, saw notice in window giving new number to ring if nobody was there. Phoned number and was directed away from that door back through the garden, to and fro, and then eventually back again in the dark and increasing rain, by a woman who could not work out where I was, despite my describing the door, garden gate, driveway, angle of house, etc., and who got increasingly, rudely irritated as we went along. She was breathtakingly rude. Finally arrived back at the door I had started out at, when two guests emerged. I was then TOLD OFF by the woman for talking to them. At this point I would have left, had I had anywhere else to go.

Getting in involved my having to flick open a 'key lock', manually setting a four figure code on a small lock, in the dark (no light), whilst grappling with my glasses, holding my phone in the rain and not wanting to put my bag down on the wet ground. The stuff of which sitcoms are made. Then another switch had to be flicked so I could open the cover to reveal the key. Finally couldn't open the door with only one hand - operate key and door handle at the same time - and one of the two guests I was not allowed to speak to very kindly did it for me. We did in fact converse, of course, later. Thank you again, both of you!!!
No milk for tea in room, would have to go down to the breakfast room to get fresh milk, as instructed by woman on the phone. Can't remember whether she said left or right and no instructions in the room as to where that might be. Shall I phone that number again? No. Never. Ever.
Shan't stay for breakfast, so no opinion on that; just want to leave now. Amusing experience, in retrospect, but not to be repeated. Shame, could be quite a nice B and B, good location, quite comfortable, pretty bed linen. I shall be in Lincoln once a month for the next three years - but not staying here!

Room Tip: Don't arrive in the dark.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne C

Reviewed 4 August 2013

When we got there had a real warm welcome by a polite young girl, showed me and my partner our room and let us get settled even though we were early. The place was really cute and homely, gave us some ideas for furniture and kitchen ware. The manager came round to us the next day to see how we were which was brilliant customer care, she was friendly, welcoming and professional, we felt very well looked after. It was my partners birthday and they left her a card on the bed for when we returned that day, she was really touched and loved it, such a brilliant thing to do. Breakfast was awesome, plenty of things to have and it was nice to be left to it, they really did make you feel comfortable and at home. The place was really cute and cosy and well thought out, every member of staff we met were happy to see us and were just awesome, that's including the Gardner. I've read negative reviews and they are just petty and I wouldn't judge the place by them at all, that would be a mistake. It's a truly awesome place to stay and the staff are incredible. Thank you all so much for the perfect stay, see you in the future. Rob & Zoe.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I'm a Lincolnshire girl, recently moved to Nottingham. We stayed here as we had two weddings over two days. One thing of the days happened to be my birthday and I got left a lovely birthday card by Elfwyn, possibly the nicest hostest I've ever met. We had a beautiful room overlooking Lincoln and have really enjoyed our stay. Definate recommendation. Bit difficult to find needs a bigger sign but otherwise perfect. Thankyou for a lovely stay x

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

On arrival,greated very well young girl very pleasant.My husband was staying for 2 nights.On the Sunday needed early start so did not have Breakfast.Returned that evening to find Bed unmade in the same condition as when he got out.Monday morning he was looking forward to a Breakfast to find a DIY job.Make your own Tea,Toast,boil your own egg.That was it apart from a bowl of cereal.Dissapointed,Town and Cathedral worth a visit though.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 4 July 2013

If you don't want to read my full review here, just know that I would recommend the Poplars to everybody visiting Lincoln.

First off, the location is great, especially for the price. You are a five minute walk from the cathedral, castle and everything else on the hill, while everything downtown is only a few more minutes away. Because it gives you great access to both areas I'm not sure that there is a better location in Lincoln, frankly, at least not at these prices. Cab drivers may not immediately know where it is, however, so tell them to take you to the top of Beaumont Fee, just past the police station: the driveway is a little bit hidden. Although close to the rail station, I would not recommend trying to find it yourself if you have bags: you'll be going up a steep hill that I wouldn't want to climb without knowing where I was going.

The building is a lovely three story mansion which feels like something out of a movie. There are probably 6-8 rooms connected by a big staircase which seems like it takes you up very high, but because of the way it's situated on the hill, every story of it feels level with the outside. This gave my room both an excellent view of Lincoln and Lincolnshire looking away from the hill, but the feeling I was still at ground level. That might help some people with accessibility issues who can't get up the winding staircase, but I don't know: if you need to use a lift or can't handle too many stairs, you might want to call the owners ahead of time. I am sure they will help you decide what is best if you ask.

My room was very comfortable with a queen bed, lots of in-room tea and coffee options, and then Sky Sports and a million channels on tv. The bathroom at the other end of the hall, which I shared with two other rooms on the floor, was clean, very nice and the shower was excellent.

Breakfast was a low-key, DIY affair which I appreciated but some people might find disappointing. There is a dining room on the main floor with fruit, cereal, bread, a refrigerator full of juice, yogurt, milk, eggs, etc. and then a toaster and egg cooker available. The door was always unlocked so you could come and grab whatever you please when you want, which was exactly how I like it. (In fact I went down there for some late night snacks as well, which may not have been what the owner's had in mind, but...) I hate it when BnB's give you a 7-7:30 AM window to come eat and you're out of luck if you aren't awake then, so this was right up my alley. However I can understand those people who expect freshly cooked sausage and bacon with their eggs and toast in the morning might be disappointed. I would advise them to deal with it and stuff their faces with eggs, cereal and toast instead.

Martin the owner was very nice and helpful, as were the housekeepers/cleaners I met at various points. His wife was out of town at the time, but I'm sure she is just as nice. He let me keep my one heavy suitcase in a room on the first floor for the duration of my stay so I didn't have to take it all the way up the stairs, which I greatly appreciated. He was also happy to let me leave it there for the day while I was changing locations.

I had a great stay and hope other will give it a shot as well. Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Superbly situated for the main sights of Lincoln and a gorgeous view too. Friendly and helpful owners too - no problems with our visit at all.
Sky movies in the bedroom was an additional treat too, and the breakfasts - if one is happy with just continental and a very cool egg boiling machine - are fine and very relaxed.
Do think though that to get a full five stars, the decor could do with a minor facelift (the carpet is a true 70s style!), and the bedding could be ironed before being put on the beds to make it that little bit more lovely. But otherwise, would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rowena E
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We have stayed here twice now, and would go back again. We usually stay at Xmas for the big market, and have always had a very nice stay. The rooms are all different and all very comfortable, and the self serve breakfasts are really good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thanks Rod, glad you enjoyed hope to see you again in the near future. Regards Martin