“WHAT A DUMP ! DON'T GO THERE !”
Review of The Poplars

The Poplars
Ranked #26 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I must make it clear from the outset that all you read here and what you see in the pictures is THE TRUTH so don't accept any excuses for the state of the place by the proprietors. We stayed 4 nights 13-16 July at this the worst B&B we have ever seen The proprietors were apparently on holiday, a silly thing to do in the " high season ", surely astute and caring people in this business take their hols in the " low/off season ". The room : Thick dust all over the bed headboard top edge. Entrance door scratched and chipped. Curtain pole adrift and no end stops. Mould on paintwork around windows. Dust inside wardrobe. The en-suite : Appeared to have recently been re-furbished to a very good standard however, it hadn't been cleaned properly for some time, there was an accumulation of dust and grime at the back of the toilet, there were hairs and grime around the fitted washbasins.
The breakfast room : A RANK SMELL presumably because of the filthy and stained carpet, time it was introduced to a skip. There was so much dust of the top of the room heater I used my finger to write DUST ME on it. The walls had a strange collection of pictures of ethnic World people, why not Lincoln ! Furniture : The cupboards, wardrobes etc. looked as though they had been recovered from an Auction House skip of unsold items then shabby chic'd, badly. We loved Lincoln, our first visit, we hated Poplars who we felt cheated us out of our hard earned money.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mikikiEastSussex

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Martin and Heike have made their home into a beautifully comfortable place to stay. The rooms are spacious and quirky will an eclectic style of art and furnishings. The bathroom was modern with plenty of hot water, shower gels and soaps. The breakfast was a 'help yourself' affair, which was great as it didn't matter what time we got up. I even boiled my own egg in a funky gadget. We felt very at home here, and cant wait to go back. The views of Lincoln are stunning and the location is right by the castle.

Room Tip: The house is on a hill so the views from the front of the building look out over Lincoln.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review made our day, hope to see you soon Martin and Heike

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night Enroute to Beverley from Oxford on cycling holiday . Great location if you are reasonably fit as approach up a seriously steep hill . Allowed us to bring bikes indoors and Martin the owner and his wife very welcoming and chatty and helped us find a good place to eat and helped us in the morning to get our bikes up the back garden steps the following day ! Room was small but clean our only reservation was lack of extra toilets as the only one was in a shared bathroom .

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Barbarathecyclist
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Overall, this B&B offers the perfect location to explore Lincoln but until the issues below are dealt with, we could not recommend The Poplars .

YOU WILL NEED:

1. A mobile phone - otherwise you are stuffed to get in unless you can rouse another guest (we were roused from our bed to let in a beleagured OAP couple at the front door)
2. Night-vision goggles or a torch if it is dark
3. A steady nerve to negotiate the precipitous drive up to the house and a navigator to help you steer past the numerous obstacles eg low-lying brick walls that seem determined to rip off wing mirrors or bumpers
4. A good command of English because your welcome and instructions will be given to you on your mobile phone (if you have one)
5. A high tolerance level because your room may be like ours ie cluttered, worn-out and dirty furniture, grubby carpets, broken curtain rail, damp towels ....
6. Initiative - EVERY B&B we have ever stayed at offers a cooked breakfast that is prepared for you. You will be required to figure out for yourself what the breakfast arrangements are and may be surprised to find that it is DIY. Forget the bacon, fried eggs and Lincolnshire sausages - the best you can do is a boiled egg.

The potential is there but it all needs rigorously to be pulled together. Such a pity!

Room Tip: ensuite on first floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Buck P

Hi Buck,
We were away on holiday ourselves in August and am very sorry our manager badly let you down by the sound of it. Even before we got your review we had let's say artistic differences and she no longer works for us. I have a feeling that a couple of issues snowballed and coloured your review but if you contact me (sorry I don't have your number you must have booked under a different name, your wife's ? as I cannot find you) I'm sure we can make it up to you.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Having stayed in The Poplars in 2011, when I needed accommodation in Lincoln again in 2013, this was my 1st choice - and it didn't disappoint!

The staff were friendly (as before) and allowed us to leave bags with them well before the check in time. When we went back to check in, we were shown to our room (via a tour of the house) and given some tips on places worth seeing in Lincoln.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and in great walking distance of every 'tourist' destination in the city.

Me & my friend had a lovely evening in the city, and returned to The Poplars for a great nights sleep and an early rise for a lovely breakfast. There are all sorts of options from breakfast, from cereals and yoghurts to toast and cooked eggs.

The Poplars is a perfect location for anyone wanting to explore the city of Lincoln and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stay here! We will be returning later this year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks, Hannah,
You kept your promise and came again, sorry we missed you this time but we were away our selves. See you next time. Best wishes Martin and Heike

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nobody there when I arrived at the arranged time. Followed email instructions to get to the blue door in the dark and rain, bell not answered, saw notice in window giving new number to ring if nobody was there. Phoned number and was directed away from that door back through the garden, to and fro, and then eventually back again in the dark and increasing rain, by a woman who could not work out where I was, despite my describing the door, garden gate, driveway, angle of house, etc., and who got increasingly, rudely irritated as we went along. She was breathtakingly rude. Finally arrived back at the door I had started out at, when two guests emerged. I was then TOLD OFF by the woman for talking to them. At this point I would have left, had I had anywhere else to go.

Getting in involved my having to flick open a 'key lock', manually setting a four figure code on a small lock, in the dark (no light), whilst grappling with my glasses, holding my phone in the rain and not wanting to put my bag down on the wet ground. The stuff of which sitcoms are made. Then another switch had to be flicked so I could open the cover to reveal the key. Finally couldn't open the door with only one hand - operate key and door handle at the same time - and one of the two guests I was not allowed to speak to very kindly did it for me. We did in fact converse, of course, later. Thank you again, both of you!!!
No milk for tea in room, would have to go down to the breakfast room to get fresh milk, as instructed by woman on the phone. Can't remember whether she said left or right and no instructions in the room as to where that might be. Shall I phone that number again? No. Never. Ever.
Shan't stay for breakfast, so no opinion on that; just want to leave now. Amusing experience, in retrospect, but not to be repeated. Shame, could be quite a nice B and B, good location, quite comfortable, pretty bed linen. I shall be in Lincoln once a month for the next three years - but not staying here!

Room Tip: Don't arrive in the dark.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne C
Reviewed 4 August 2013

When we got there had a real warm welcome by a polite young girl, showed me and my partner our room and let us get settled even though we were early. The place was really cute and homely, gave us some ideas for furniture and kitchen ware. The manager came round to us the next day to see how we were which was brilliant customer care, she was friendly, welcoming and professional, we felt very well looked after. It was my partners birthday and they left her a card on the bed for when we returned that day, she was really touched and loved it, such a brilliant thing to do. Breakfast was awesome, plenty of things to have and it was nice to be left to it, they really did make you feel comfortable and at home. The place was really cute and cosy and well thought out, every member of staff we met were happy to see us and were just awesome, that's including the Gardner. I've read negative reviews and they are just petty and I wouldn't judge the place by them at all, that would be a mistake. It's a truly awesome place to stay and the staff are incredible. Thank you all so much for the perfect stay, see you in the future. Rob & Zoe.

• Stayed: August 2013