“Good food, terrible service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bombay

The Bombay
Ranked #335 of 445 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Blackburn, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, terrible service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

After ordering the drinks twice and telling them we wanted 2 popadoms 3 times we thought this was going to b a bad experience but fair play to the chef the mixed starters and the main courses was up thier in my top 5 Indians, shame about the service

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Lincs, England
“great food and attentive waiters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I ate here with a group of 5 friends and we really enjoyed the food. I have travelled to India so am reluctant to eat in UK Indian restaurants but this was very nice. I arrived earlier than my friends and there is a small bar area you can sit in whilst waiting. The room is nicely decorated although they could play some more authentic music - Shakira was playing for a while!! The staff were all pleasant and friendly and the food was described well (eg the medium was medium, the extremely hot was certainly that!!) We had poppadums between us which were served with 3 possible extras, a mango sauce, coconut and onions, all nice and none spicy. I had a medium curry and rice and shared a naan bread, this was plenty! We all tried each other's food, and you could tell the difference between the mild, medium and hot curries. The waiters also brought some cucumber and yogurt at the end, thinking our friend with the extremely hot curry would need some! All in all, a well priced and tasty meal and would recommend to others.

• Visited October 2011
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Food was spetacular, and made up for the service, which was average.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

This restaurant would have had an excellent rating, if the main waiter had just smiled and not looked like he had the weight of world on his shoulders! The service was fast, a little too fast, and the food came a little too quickly. It gave the impression that they wanted you in and out fairly quickly, but actually this wasn't the case as we were not pressurised at all to leave! However, saying that, there was nothing wrong with the service techincally. The order was taking perfectly, no problems with asking us if everything was ok etc, it just lacked a smile from the main waiter (the others certainly had a good sense of humour). This is just being picky though, as the food was the best I have tasted for years, in fact outside of the best of London's Indian restaurants. Having just moved to Lincoln from London, we are searching for the best restaurants, and along with Straits, this is one I would not hesitate to take friends too when they visit. It is no wonder it has been around for over 50 years! The popadums, and the chutneys were superb (which takes alot to say about popadums!), the main courses were clean tasting, fresh and plentiful, fantastically well presented and delicious.
If you are looking for a great Indian restaurant, this is certainly it!
So much so, I have upgraded it to Excellent.
Especially because it came in at £25 per head including popadums, starters and mains, and wine and beer! Great value.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“look under the place mats!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Lovely food although dinning was a disaster for my partner. He had some stray chicken in his vegetarian meal. The waiter was unsympathetic and didn't offer a refund and my partner felt physically sick after that so didn't want any more food which was offered. To top it off, looking under the place mats there was dried on food stuck to every one that was on our table. I was that shocked I took a picture (below) It looked like the bottom of a childs play-doh mat at school. I'm afraid I won't be going back. Shame really!

Visited April 2011
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We found the food and drinks to be good, as was the service. The prices were reasonable too.

Visited July 2011