“What a shame.”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Malaga, Spain
“What a shame.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We adore lincoln & try to visit every time we come over to England. This time it was also my birthday so decided to stay the night. I really liked the idea of the Lincoln Hotel, its situation and views. What a shame, the first impression was it could do with some money spending. The railings up to the entrance are rusting in places, a sofa in the entrance was stained. The reception area just felt quite tatty. The check in was fine and the staff were friendly. We took the lift to the room which had a bad smell and the frame on the wall was cracked. The smell in the corridor was really unpleasant. The room was clean but paint was peeling on the window frame in a couple of places. The following morning we came down to breakfast and shown to a table, the waitress wasnt overly friendly. We obviously didnt have the right faces as were never asked if we would like any eggs...fried, boiled etc, but heard the waitress asking other guests. All in all a bit of a let down & i wouldnt recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Guest

I was sorry to read your comments following your recent visit to The Lincoln Hotel and please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment that you experienced during your stay.
I would be happy to discuss the problems you encountered further and would ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely
James Little
The Lincoln Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
NORTHANT
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in a family room, hard bed, but clean . comforters on bed need replacing . bathroom clean.
breakfast ok , asked for poached eggs as they wasn't on the buffet and they promptly arrived at my table.
The staff were all friendly and helpful. Convenient for the cathedral and the castle.
Would I stay here again . . . .maybe if there was no other hotels available .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

A very nice hotel in a wonderful location. Room, excellent and the view was fantastic.
I like the bowler hat lamp shades in the hall.
Food was very good and I can say that all of the meals were superb. Breakfast was a banquet and prepared me for a days walking and sightseeing.
Staff could not do enough, they were courteous, friendly and very helpful.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definitely be booing another room again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms with a cathedral view and if you can afford it, with a balcony
Warwickshire
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed in the Lincoln hotel recently. Its position is excellent, being opposite the Cathedral and close to the castle. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff. We were upgraded to a garden room. This room had a very large and extremely comfortable bed, and had its own patio, overlooking a small garden. The room was clean and so was the bathroom.

Breakfast the following morning was more than adequate, and here again the staff were very friendly and helpful.

My only comment is that because our booking was made through Booking.com rather than direct, we had to pay a £5 car park charge, even though the cost of the room was the same. However it did not spoil a very enjoyable short stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The garden room had a larger than normal bed.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed two nights on our way home from Suffolk. From the reception to the restaurant etc the staff were friendly and helpful. They couldn't do enough for you. Breakfast was good and the food in the Green room was excellent.
Only criticism was bed. It needed replacing, I went boing every time you moved other wise the rooms were excellent.

Room Tip: Until they replace the bed do not accept 327
Bedford
Reviewed 19 October 2013

SETTING
The Lincoln Hotel was built in the 1960's and was first known as the Eastgate Hotel. The outlook from the building and all of the front bedrooms is stunning, over-looking the cathedral. Every bedroom, on this side of the hotel has a picture window. We have now stayed at this hotel twice and can confirm that both rooms have this view.
ACCOMMODATION
The rooms are of a standard design with a standard double bed and a small sitting area. The shower room was modern, bright and well fitted out. There were two small criticisms, the toilet roll when new could not revolve on the fixed spindle as there was insufficient space. These should be replaced.
The decorations of the shower room door was poor and should be re-decorated more often, but the room was well fitted out with a glazed shower.
The rooms are double glazed and all have air-conditioning units fitted.
PUBLIC AREAS
The reception desk looks like a set from the Muppets, with a curatin behind. The receptionists were pleasant and attentive to our needs, as were the other staff we met.
The public lounge area has views of the cathedral, as does the outside sitting area to the front, which was closed at this time of the year.
On the Saturday evening there was a wedding function in the main restaurant and a separate party in the second function room.
DINNER
We wanted diner on the first night but were told that the main restaurent was closed due to a party function, and we were advised that there may be some noise as our room was over the entrance. This was not a problem.
It would have been good if we had been previously advised that there would not be any restaurant service, on both nights of our stay. We were attending another function on the Saturday so that was not a problem for use, but I am aware that it was for other guests. Most local restaurants are booked-up on Friday and Saturday evenings and without due warning guests found it difficult to make alternative arrangements..
This is a basic error which allienated a number of guests.and did nothing to encourage guests to return.
BREAKFAST
On the Friday morning the breakfast was of reasonable quality. The service was good, despite it being a buffet. I wanted poached eggs and these were quickly prepared and delivered to me at my table.
I noticed that the temperatures of the various foods were checked whilst we were eating, which is good to see and to know that the hygiene standards are being maintained.
However, and I am sure dear reader that you were expecting a 'but,' on the Sunday the party tables from the previous night had been cleared away but there was a Wedding Fair being held in the breafast area. Guests were therefore, directed to a small conference room which had been fitted out with tables and the breakfast buffet. The staff which arranged this obviously were Pooh Bear clones, for thay had little brain! I apologise if the staff think that that comment is unfair but it may have all looked nice, but it was totally user unfriendly.
If you want people to flow through the process you do not place the coffee and toaster in a corner where people will congregate waiting, and blocking the area for the other guests who were serving themselves with their cooked breakfasts.
The food was placed too close together and the covers could not be placed anywhere. Guests wer carrying their plates, which had been warmed, then they had to lift the food container lids, and then serve themselves. A process which required three or four hands. This is something that I do not have! A lady kindly served me with sausages and bacon whilst I held the container lid. This problem obviously persisted all the way down the line
Later I feltched the coffee and served a lady on the way back from my table. [I learnt later that coincidentally these too ladies were sisters.]
The whole arrangement was a disaster, whilst there were few people at the Wedding Fair, apart from an officious lady at the 'reception' for that event. It was interesting to watch her organising people and laying down the law. A true 'battle axe.'
I understand that the hotel needs to supplement their income with parties and wedding receptions, but these should not be at the expense of the paying guests.
CONCLUSIONS
The hotel needs to decide upon its priorities, and if that includes weddings etc, then arrangements for the hotel guests must be significantly improved.
We will be very reluctant to return, despite that wonderful outlook from the rooms, for whilst all of the staff were pleasant the service they were able to provide is significantly below that which is required of such a hotel.

Room Tip: Our exoerience is that all of the front bedrooms are of the same design and have the wonderful views...
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Architectural taste is .... well, a matter of taste! There seems to be little agreement about the visual appeal of the outside of the hotel (well, I guess most people would agree it doesn't try to emulate old-fashioned style and it does pose a challenge to perceptions of 'fitting-in') but the consensus appears to be that this is a prettyy decent hotel.

this really is in an excellent location (thought you might get a view of the car park at the rear rather than the wonderful view of the cathedral!). Staff were helpful and efficient, hotel itself was pretty quiet (even at the weekend) although the air conditioning pump was pretty noisy. Breakfast was nice. All-in-all, worth a punt

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple