“Food and service very good - a great meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lincoln Hotel

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
East Midlands, United Kingdom
“Food and service very good - a great meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I should start by saying that this review relates only to a family meal at the hotel - we did not stay there, or use any of the other facilities.

Along with our extended family and friends (approximately 40 people) we attended a celebratory birthday lunch at this hotel. The staff coped really well with a large party and the food was served promptly and was piping hot. It was also very good quality, and everybody in our party commented on how much they had enjoyed the meal. The hotel itself is looking quite tired in places, but that certainly cannot be said of the staff, who were all very pleasant and keen to ensure that we all enjoyed the celebration to the full.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent family celebrations at The Lincoln Hotel.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the staff concerned as they all work extremely hard to maintain high levels of customer service for all our guests.
It is also very pleasing to hear your positive comments about the standard of food. All the staff are extremely proud as they were awarded Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink & Hospitality Awards 2014.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit; hopefully you’ll be able to stay a bit longer.

The Lincoln Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
Ipswich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I think this is a very good hotel in an excellent location for exploring the City and further afield. With a fanstastic view of the Cathedral and just five minutes walk away is the Cathedral Quarter with an array of boutique shops, galleries, pubs and resturants. A further 10 minutes is a steep downhill walk to the City centre. Needless to say a good 20 minutes walk back! It is also very easy to drive out of the city and explore the surrounding countryside - the Wolds near Market Rasen being a fine example.
The lounge and reception area over look the cathedral green - a fine way to end the day with a drink and read of the freely available newspapers. Even better was seeing the Peregrine Falcons, resident in the cathedral tower, giving a quick display.
The staff at the hotel were very helpful, pleasant and busy. They seemed to enjoy working there.
I found my hotel room compact but comfortable. There was a good sized TV and an impressive walk in shower. If staying there again I think I might upgrade to 'a room with a view'. My one complaint was that I was woken up by a laundry delivery at 5.30am - this was pointed out to hotel reception staff.
The breakfasts were very good with a broad selection of continental and english. I was able to ask for a fresh pot of tea as I found the communal pot rather over done for my tastes. I noticed others asking for freshly fried eggs - all served quickly and with a smile.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Lincoln and will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us, and your kind comments about our staff, who all work very hard to maintain high levels of customer service.

I am glad you were fortunate enough to see the Peregrine Falcons during your stay, they really are fantastic to watch!

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a weekend in early July in a double room overlooking the cathedral and was not disappointed. The view from the large window of the cathedral was stunning, especially when lit in the dark. The stay got even better with an excellent dinner in the Green Room restaurant on the first evening. Breakfasts were good although service was slow, possibly due to the large wedding parties on both mornings! Will definitely visit again and will possibly pay the extra for a room with a balcony or patio.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

It is also very pleasing to hear your positive comments about the standard of food, both at Breakfast and in the Green Room. The staff are extremely proud because the Green Room Restaurant won Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink & Hospitality Awards 2014 and it is always great to receive positive feedback such as yours.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Bingley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business in a 'garden room'. The bed was ok apart from feeling the join down the middle. Bathroom had a large walk in shower and everything worked. But ........ The garden looked as though it was in need of some extra care and a good tidy up and the stairwell down to the basement rooms was like a staff only area - a bit grim to say the least.
I had difficulty finding the car park entrance and had to phone the hotel for directions despite having a sat nav.
I ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was good - better than the breakfast which was the normal buffet style.
Certainly not a cheap option - would I stay again? Probably not until some real investment has been made to refurbish the 'tired looking areas'.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and that you thought the food that we serve was good. The Green Room won Restaurant of the year 2014 so we are very proud of this product.

Although the building is very old, which adds to its charm and character, we are constantly updating and refurbishing each room in turn to ensure that we continue to modernise our offer. Since being in private ownership we are striving to update the whole hotel, naturally this can’t all be done in one go but we are planning and investing hugely into improving the building.

Here are a few of the projects that we have undertaken just recently:
• Replace the old hot water system to cope with modern demands
• Install free Wi-Fi throughout the whole hotel
• Completely remove and refurbish the gents public toilets
• Replace all the flooring in the banqueting room
• Refurbish all of the banqueting room including curtains
• Renovate and replace old en-suites in many of the bedrooms
• Replace many of the bedroom carpets
• Decorate the main Lounge
• Replace every bedroom door with new and install an electronic key card system

There are still some areas that require some attention and we are focussing on these next as we have to carefully plan these works around our guests so as to not cause any disruption.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Lincoln Hotel very soon so that you can experience first-hand the improvements that we are making.

Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

On arrival we were greated by a most helpful receptionist who advised us of the car parking arrangements, the facilities of the hotel and the arrangements for our stay. Our room was well appointed overlooking an area of garden that could do with a bit of tlc. however the trees shielded the hotel from being overlooked and taking account that the hotel was situated in the centre of Lincoln the room was quiet. The restaurant staff were most professional and we noticed that the food at breakfast time was regularly temperature tested. The menu was modern and well presented. as stated the hotel is very close to the Cathedral and walking distance from the attractions of Lincoln. a very pleasant Stay

Room Tip: see notes above.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Lincoln Hotel over the weekend.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Solihull, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I last stayed here 13 years ago when it was a Moat House hotel called the Eastgate. The position is wonderful, just opposite the Cathedral the bell of which strikes up to 1100 and starts again at 7.00. Superficially there have been a lot of cosmetic improvements making it feel much brighter. No longer were there were frayed carpets! However, I noted that much of the furniture (tables in the bar) had seen better days.
On arrival I was well received initially but then they tried to make me paid for a room booked by my company’s agent, and I had to give the receptionist a copy of the booking confirmation! The rate she tried to charge me was £165 per night. The receptionist seemed a little stretched and not fully focused. I asked for an alarm call for both nights but it didn’t happen on the second morning.
The Car Park entrance may not be clear to a guest unfamiliar with the hotel as it is located on the out of city side of the road to the north. There is a side entrance into the hotel with a lift.
I was allocated a standard room on the ground floor. The corridor was clean, wide and bright. The room was approximately 5m x 4m + an entrance hall 2m x 2m with a bathroom of 2m x 1m. Cream walls. Dark carpet. The room and bathroom were clean. The furniture included a skeleton wardrobe in the entrance hall, occasional table, 2 occasional chairs, desk and chair, bedside drawers. There was a large picture window and heavy drapes but blackout was poor. The television was a 36 inch freeview. The bed was a little firm for my liking but I slept well. The room was quiet but when I tried to turn the radiator on in the evening, I could get no heat.
The wifi worked very well.
The hospitality tray was pleasant and well stocked. Toiletries were ample but both were not completely restocked the second day.
The shower worked very well and was hot and easy to operate, towels were very soft. I noted a significant crack in the wash hand basin and on the toilet seat. The bathroom floor was black granite tiles which was very marked from water leakage.
The breakfasts were slightly better than basic but the fruit was clearly recycled daily and hadn’t unfrozen from the deep freeze. I had two bar meals, a recently excellent Caesar salad and a superb cheesecake and on the second night a tasty steak baguette. Both meals came quickly and service was pleasant.
Overall I enjoyed my stay but I would have been pretty disappointed at the rack rate – not worth £165 a night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Topkoppite
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, your very positive comments about the standard of food and cleanliness will certainly be relayed to the team.

I’m also glad that you have had the opportunity to return to The Lincoln Hotel now that we are fortunate enough to be privately owned. Since then we are constantly updating and refurbishing each room in turn to ensure that we continue to modernise our offer. The Long Room Bar area has just undergone a refurbishment to brighten up the appearance. The furniture in here is shortly to be replaced also, which will then complete this update.

Please don’t leave it so long again before you return, you should come and enjoy the changes that we are making to improve our hotel.

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for only 1 night as part of a wedding but from what I could see the hotel was really well looked after and presented in as good a fashion as possible. Location was brilliant being a short stroll from the Cathedral but not in the thick of all the action. Staff were super friendly and helpful and really provided a 1st class service. Room was quite modern with a nice bathroom. The bedroom was on the small side and parts of the hotel are quite dated but overall I would rather enjoy staying here again if the opportunity presented itself.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, some don't. Some are in the old building some in the new, so dependi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us, especially your comments about the service offered by our team. I will ensure that these are passed on to them, as they all work extremely hard.