“Lovely afternoon tea”
Review of The Lincoln Hotel

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We were very surprised at how the afternoon tea was with a Travelzoo voucher. Amazing quality and choice, great service even though they were catering a wedding.

Great views of the cathedral and Roman ruins with great relaxing environment on the lawn.

Good to have free parking too

• Stayed: July 2014
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience with us. I am delighted that you were able to make the most of the good weather and enjoy the beautiful views of the Cathedral from our outside seating area.

The Lincoln Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

On arrival at our Hotel we were put in a small room just to the right of reception. It was shabby with cracks in the wall wallpapered over and only a 3/4 bath. When I complained I was told that it was the last room available which infuriated me because I know that our friends had booked after us. The Resteraunt was fully booked so we ended up going out for a meal and then later that evening there wasn't anywhere to drink unless you wanted a loud young persons bar which was very busy.Yet again we trapesed out to get a drink. When we checked out I was told that the duty manager was on holiday and given a compliments slip with an email scribbled on it ad told to email with my complaint. I emailed them ten days ago but have had no reply. I have seen plenty of good reviews about this hotel. That just makes more disappointing. that I had such a poor experience

Room Tip: Don't choose room to right of reception 121 I think. It is awful
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel and please accept my apologies for any problems you experienced with the customer service you received.

I shall certainly address the problems you mentioned internally with my management team, to ensure our usual high standards are maintained. In the meantime, thank you for your comments as we do appreciate all feedback.

Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Lincoln Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel actually looks a bit out of place next to the medieval sites around Lincoln the outside resembling a rather ordinary architecturally challenged building but it with the quirky 60’s retro interior décor, it actually works well. The staff were helpful, professional and courteous. The rooms are a little plain looking but they are freshly decorated and very acceptable. The hotel lounge/lobby was a very comfortable place for a morning coffee and to read the copious amount of daily newspapers offered for free. The breakfast was excellent quality with a great choice of hot/cold dishes. We didn’t eat in the restaurant but it looked like a high class establishment with a good menu. The location right next to the cathedral complex was perfect and we would definitely stay here if we visit Lincoln again. You need to be on top of the hill in this city – Steep Hill is a well named and not for the unfit. Viewing the cathedral lit up at night was breathtaking so if you are going to stay here, then make sure you take a walk from the hotel when darkness falls.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the staff concerned as they will be delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I’m pleased that you had time to take in some of the best views of Lincoln Cathedral from the hotel as it certainly is very beautiful.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned from a 2 night break at The Lincoln. Receptionist was efficient and professional. Room was good size and quality. The view of the cathedral was great. Free Wifi was brilliant. Star of the stay was our evening meal, it was amazing. We have eaten in some seriously fancy restaurants and the meal we had was the equal of them. The quality, presentation and taste were fabulous. The staff are young but very enthusiastic. We would have eaten here on our 2nd evening if we didn't have prior arrangements. The breakfast offer is again, very good. Cold meats, cereals, fruit, menu options, quality buffet ingredients, freshly cooked and a nice selection of croissants etc. we were very satisfied with our stay and would highly recommend. We hope to return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the staff concerned as they all work extremely hard to maintain high levels of customer service for all our guests.

It is also very pleasing to hear your positive comments about the standard of your evening meal. All the staff are extremely proud as we were recently awarded Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink & Hospitality Awards 2014.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here on a Travel Zoo voucher for 2 nights, including a contribution towards one dinner. The location of the hotel was excellent, just across the road from the cathedral. There is a large car park attached to the hotel for which I was to be charged £5. However, there was no forward knowledge of this charge and it was swiftly removed. Good customer service.

The bedroom was air-conditioned, essential as we stayed through a very hot period. The manager had to demonstrate how to use this appliance as the remote control would only apparently work if it was virtually in contact with the unit! It did however work just fine.

The dinner in the Green Room Restaurant was superb. Good choice, plenty of tasty food and good service. The breakfast was just as good.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

If we return to Lincoln the Lincoln Hotel will be sought out for a booking.

Room Tip: Cathedral view room - the cathedral bells finish at 11pm and recommence at 7am!

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your comments about our Green Room restaurant. All the staff are extremely proud as we have recently been awarded Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink & Hospitality Awards 2014.

Equally your comments about good customer service are very much appreciated and will of course be passed on the hotel staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very nice hotel staff very helpful, every were was clean. Very good breakfast with plenty of choice. Rooms very nice quite and a good nights sleep.Had no problems at all would recommend it to anyone. It was across.the road from the Cathedral.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side were very quite
1  Thank 41liz41
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us; the food served at breakfast and of course the service offered by our team. I am glad that you appear to have been well rested.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I have actually stayed here twice, once for a wedding and once to visit friends who live nearby. Both stays were very pleasant. Because the hotel is in town it's very easy to get anywhere you want to go. It's right opposite the cathedral too so nice views. The staff are nice, the rooms are clean,if a little hot as the aircon is woeful. The breakfast was acceptable. If you work here please tell the manager to stop doing fish and spend more budget on the other items as the salmon was disgusting.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiserableOldChef

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us, the cleanliness of our rooms and of course the service offered by our team. I will pass your kind comments onto the staff members concerned.

Apologies that you were not impressed with the salmon that you had, I will look into this and rectify anything out of the ordinary immediately.