“The Lincoln Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“The Lincoln Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were both delighted with our stay at The Lincoln Hotel. The accommodation was spacious with a small garden patio for our use. Dinner was taken in The Green Room, which was excellent. Breakfast the following morning followed the same pattern. The staff could not have been more helpful. Yes, we will be going again!

Room Tip: The ground floor, at the back, have rooms which open onto a small garden with a patio where you can...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

The Lincoln Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
carshalton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here on a Travel Zoo offer last week and had a lovely large room overlooking the Cathedral. It was a Sunday and there was a Wedding on but it did not affect our enjoyment in any way. The location is second to none, there is a lovely outdoor seating area where we sat for a while enjoying the sunshine. We ate in the Green room restaurant and it was one of the best meals we have ever had. Our breakfasts were also lovely, plenty of choice and eggs cooked to order. Service was friendly everywhere and we felt valued; our two day break was certainly value for money. Lincoln itself is worth a visit although my husband was not keen on Steep Hill!!

Room Tip: Request a Cathedral view room
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

It is also very pleasing to hear your comments about the food in the Green Room. We take great pride in the fact that we recently won Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink and Hospitality Awards 2014.

A little tip for your next visit, the Walk & Ride 'Steep Hill Shuttle' bus is a super way to get around Lincoln and the quickest way up the hill. With 13 convenient stops across the city at all the major attractions you can enjoy the stroll down Steep Hill, then hop on the shuttle bus back up to the top.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Whitby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

on the positive side location cannot be beaten, the staff were pleasant and helpful, the check in process was the easiest ever. Our room was fabulous with the promised views of the cathedral. unfortunately it was also very hot and the air con was not the most efficient I have ever used. the room was a little grubby, the bathroom more so. I was unimpressed that the toilet roll wasn't renewed after our first night. we had dinner in the green room, the menu is limited. it sounded quite nice though. there was no atmosphere in the dining room, we were served warm beers, the two girls doing the waiting on were clearly willing but not well trained or organised. we wanted dessert but after waiting for ages and not managing to get the waitresses eye we gave up. when asked if everything was ok we said we had wanted dessert but had given up and she seemed surprised although she and one other were dealing with the only six tables in the room. oh the food was mediocre, dry and could almost have been the previous days, the only thing I really enjoyed was the new potatoes which were delicious. beds were comfortable. on checking out we were given a surprise of paying for a meal we hadn't had, it got sorted but it was just another minor irritation and given the impression the hotel is trying to give of it being a quality hotel with award winning restaurant they were things which shouldn't be happening. all in all I would happily stay there again, making sure that the cups and glasses were washed by me, and the shower cleaned before use, I would take an extra loo roll, fortunately we had one in our bag from a self catering holiday we had recently been on. I would not eat in the hotel. forgot to mention breakfast, again minor things, having to go to the self service area for your tea and coffee, no spoons at that area to fish tea bag out, being right next to the self service toaster and people not moving over, the food however was good if a little cold.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel, please accept my apologies for any problems you experienced.

I shall certainly address these internally with my management team, to ensure our usual high standards are maintained.

Once again, I am sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our short break in the Lincoln Hotel. Our room was clean, a good size and equipped with all we needed. The position overlooking the cathedral was wonderful and how thoughtful that the bells stopped at 11pm and did not start again until 7 am, though they were barely audible inside the bedroom. The staff were excellent, interested, helpful and unfailingly pleasant. They do the hotel much credit. Breakfast was good, dinner in the Green Room restaurant was delicious and with plenty of choice. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so pleasant. Ian and Ann

Room Tip: Top floor for a small outdoor balcony
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to all of the staff as they will be delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was very pleasing to hear you were able to enjoy dining in the Green Room restaurant and also found the bedroom to be clean and comfortable.

I’m glad that you had time to take in some of the best views of Lincoln Cathedral from the hotel as it certainly is very beautiful.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I started giving the Lincoln a 4 but when I put 5 in most of the categories changed this to excellent. The modest reviews from other travellers fail to reflect that it is 3*. Also we had a beautifully refurbished room with a Cathedral view.
To summarise, the staff were most friendly and helpful and were all local people including the bedroom cleaner. The hotel was spotlessly clean (as was Lincoln generally) and the food was good with an excellent breakfast selection.
We had a fabulous two days in Lincoln and will certainly go again and stay at the Lincoln Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, especially as you were looked after so well. I will ensure to pass on your kind comments to the team.

Although our building is quite old, we like to embrace the 1960’s features that we still have - they add to its charm and character. As you quite rightly point out we are still only a three star property and are limited to this due to some of our physical features.

However, this does not prevent us from constantly updating and refurbishing each room in turn to ensure that we continue to modernise our offer. As we are privately owned, we feel that we can offer a friendly, warm welcome with personable service to rival any branded corporate operation.

We hope to see you again soon and look forward to welcoming you back to The Lincoln Hotel.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Lincoln Hotel certainly delivers excellent food and service from a well constructed menu and relaxing environment under the watchful eye of GM James the team provide an excellent evening.
The Bar67 offers comfortable alcove seating creating an intermate environment to support the live music from good quality performers . The hotel supports local talent and provides the Bar67 to encourage their contribution. Good to see I wish more hotels had this vision.

Room Tip: Very popular book
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Graham Anthony R
Dear Graham

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

It was a pleasure meeting you, I’m glad that you enjoyed your visit to Lincoln. It’s very pleasing to hear that you particularly enjoyed dining in the Green Room Restaurant and of course listening to the live music entertainment in our very own “Cavern” Bar 67!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Lincoln Hotel soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My other half and I stayed here as a 30th birthday treat from our family, it was also my first night away from my baby girl. I was so excited. We got to the hotel and thought it looked a bit out of place with all the amazing architecture around it. But still full of excitement we let reception know we had arrived, our room wasn't ready yet, so we went on our way and looked around Lincoln. We got back to the hotel about 4ish got our key, to which the receptionist emphasised that they had a wedding and that they were full. I thought fare enough it was nice of her to let us know that it was busy, plus our room would be over the dining room where a wedding was being held. To get to the point, we got to our room full of excitement, opened the door and my face dropped, I just wanted to cry!!! The room was outdated, light fittings (may be picky) were not attached properly. Furniture was tatty, the room was small. It was like being in a travel lodge.For £180 I was expecting something a bit more. I was so gutted, we went to reception who stated they were full because of weddings, when I asked why the room was so expensive they said that was the cost at the time of booking. So I want to know why we didn't get a better room!! The only thing that stopped me going home was my other half and knowing we needed some time together as a couple not just as parents!!! We felt under valued. We had a meal In the green room which came to the total of £50 (included in the £180 price) which meant our room was £130!!! I wish we could say we had a fantastic stay as the location was fab, but it was just a big disappointment.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melanie M
Dear Guest

I was sorry to read the comments following your recent visit to The Lincoln Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment that you experienced during your stay.
I would be happy to discuss the problems you encountered further and ask that you contact me directly at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.