“Very good views.”
Review of The Lincoln Hotel

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. I initially stayed in one of the cheaper rear rooms which I didn't feel was very good value, but then I moved to one of the front rooms and I felt that for the amazing view of the Cathedral it was much better value. The staff are very professional and quite friendly. Breakfast is very good, with a great selection of fruit, pastries, cereals, yoghurts and your more traditional Full English (good coffee also). I stayed for between 10-14 days and they had two wedding receptions during that time, however it didn't bother me and wasn't noisy as the hotel is quite large and any noise didn't seem to carry. The beds were comfortable with good linen and the rooms are kept spotlessly clean. My one minor gripe was that I had a constant battle with the cleaners putting loads of cushions and a throw onto my bed when I don't like them- I took to hiding them around the room in cupboards etc but they always seemed to find them! That is certainly not a reason not to stay there. The hotel is in a great position opposite the beautiful cathedral and the Bail (the old part of Lincoln) and it is only a few minutes walk to the Castle and the steep hill which takes you down to the city centre. There are many great places to eat and drink nearby.

Room Tip: I would certainly pay the extra for a room overlooking the Cathedral (one of the front rooms).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us; the food served at breakfast, cleanliness and comfort of your room and of course the service offered by our team.

I promise that we will not play ‘hide and seek’ with the cushions next time you visit if you just let our Housekeeper’s know that you prefer the bed made without them on! That won’t be a problem at all.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Lincoln Hotel soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Visited Lincoln for a weekend break to see friends. Pleasant reception staff to greet us on arrival, we were given a room on the 3rd floor, lovely room overlooking the cathedral, therefore be prepared to listen to the chiming of the clock, although it doesn't chime all through the night! 2 Wedding parties going on over the weekend, so of course there was some disruption for hotel guests, the bar area was out of bounds and the residents lounge was taken up with the wedding overspill. The breakfast was lovely, with good quality ingredients. The hotel is ideally situated for the city and attractions. Car parking free and secure. Overall an excellent time had and will stay again when visiting friends.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the beautiful views of the Cathedral from your own private balcony. The noise of the bells create a fantastic atmosphere in the area, however, they do cease at 23:00 and remain silent until 07:00 so as to prevent any disturbance.

We do endeavour to minimise any potential disruption to any guest that may not be part of a private function, as all of our guests’ experiences are equally important to us.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

just been on an overnight break to lincoln, decided to stay at the top of the steep hill and found the lincoln hotel.got a good deal at £75 for the room with breakfast, 2 guests.
parked in the free secure car park and were welcomed at the reception.quickly booked in and went to the room.the room was nice and clean , just as expected tbh.view was a little disappointing (ask for a cathedral view) didnt ask to swap as it was only one night.a bit noisy with the window open, sounded like an air con unit or something.unpacked and had a quick lay down, unfortunately the mattress was very poor for such a nice hotel.we went out for some beers at widow cullens well, a pub with real character and excellent prices....got back in to the room and had a great shower before walking to the brayford and setting back off for the steep hill.for a change J.A. couldnt decide on where to eat, it was her birthday so it wasnt my call....we ended up in ribs n bibs, an american themed restaurant.we opted for a burger each, seemed a little expensive until it arrived - huge.we had barely eaten all day and still failed to clean our plates,great american style service too.
back to the lincoln and the rubbish mattress, woke up and went for the breakfast, it was excellent, really good J.A. was so pleased cold salmon was on the menu. after breakfast it was check out and i asked if it was ok to leave the car as we were going shopping, that was fine.
overall a great hotel for a break in a great city, just that lumpy mattress.will be stopping there again, just going to make sure the view and mattress are better.our thanks to all the pleasant friendly staff.

Room Tip: cathedral view

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that we were able to help you enjoy your recent stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

I will ensure that your kind comments about the cleanliness, pleasant and friendly staff are passed on to them as they all work extremely hard to provide a good service.

However, I would like to investigate further the comment with regards to the lumpy mattress and ask that you contact me directly at the hotel when it is convenient to do so. Once we are aware which room you used I will rectify this situation immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at the Lincoln Hotel on a Travelzoo deal for two nights in August 2014.
The location is perfect with free car parking. The moment we arrived at reception, the staff were smiling, welcoming and most helpful.
Our rooms were overlooking the wonderful Cathedral and we found them clean, spacious and comfortable. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was a lovely experience and the quality of the food first class. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a visit to this lovely and interesting city.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cathedral view room

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay at The Lincoln Hotel.

I will ensure that your kind comments about the staff and your welcome to the hotel are passed on to them as they all work extremely hard to maintain high levels of customer service for all our guests.

It is also very pleasing to hear your positive comments about the standard of food, in the Green Room. We are very excited as the Green Room Restaurant was awarded Restaurant of the Year in the Select Lincolnshire Food, Drink & Hospitality Awards 2014.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

From the outside the Lincoln Hotel looks like a step back in time to the 70's. Inside it's a little more up to the minute (the 90’s) but the true value in the place is the staff. Here’s an example I'd forgotten my toothpaste and asked reception if they had any spares or testers. The young lady said not to worry she'd get some on her way into work the next morning (this was 10pm at night) and I could get it from her at 7am. This she did and wouldn't accept payment from me. How goods that?
The breakfast was varied with good choice and excellent freshly cooked poached eggs all I really need to set me up for the day.
So yes 70's in style but well placed (opposite the Cathedral) and great staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, especially as you enjoyed the quality of our breakfast.

Although our building is quite old, we like to embrace the 1960’s features from when it was built; we think they add to its charm and character. However, we are constantly updating and refurbishing each room in turn to ensure that we continue to modernise our offer.

What was especially pleasing to read, was the fantastic level of service from our staff that you received. We are extremely proud of our team and encourage them to provide the best possible level of service that they can and we are rarely disappointed!

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Lincoln Hotel soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Best points - brilliant staff, good breakfast.

Bad points - tired room, stains all over carpet, pubic hair in bed, noise every few minutes from a boiler or generator, very poor for the price we paid. My bedroom at home is better and we wanted something for a special occasion. The whole vibe of the hotel was strange.

Booked cathedral view with balcony, images on site nothing like reality. Balcony was so small, just one chair. Just about enough room to stand. Gorgeous view though. Booked this hotel because of good reviews, noticed most of the guests were over 60, so perhaps not for younger guests.

Room Tip: We booked best room and even this was poor.
1  Thank mrsfoodiepops

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read the comments following your recent visit to The Lincoln Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment that you experienced during your stay.

I shall certainly address the problems you mentioned internally with my management team, to ensure our usual high standards are maintained. On a more positive note, I’m glad that you consider we have “brilliant staff” and that the breakfast was of good quality.

I hope this did not mar your experience too much and that we can still have the pleasure of welcoming you on a return visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

As a Lincoln resident this was the perfect place to sit outside in the sunshine facing the Cathedral for lunch. Smoked salmon sandwich was lovely but was on poor quality sliced bread. Same with the wine, lovely white & chilled but served in a chipped glass.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a response on our trip advisor website. I was sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent visit to The Lincoln Hotel.

Obviously, we wouldn’t intentionally serve wine in a chipped glass, apologies that this was missed. The customer feedback that we receive is usually very positive so I would encourage you to visit us again, to hopefully restore your confidence.

In the meantime, thank you for your comments as we do appreciate all feedback. Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Lincoln Hotel in the near future.