“fantastic”
Review of The Lincoln Hotel

The Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 12 September 2010

we booked this hotel as a last minute, just wanted to spend the day shopping and have a meal out on the night time, we arrived a couple of hours early which wasnt a problem as we were allowed to park in the car park and use the hotel facilities before our room was ready at 2pm. the staff were excellent always willing to help and with a smile. we got a phone call from reception letting us know we had left our lights on our car!!! unfortunately we had flattened the battery. the morning we were leavin the receptionist got a member of staff to give us a jump start thankfully. there was a wedding on in the hotel but all was quiet after 12, the breakfast was fantastic too and i would definitly recomment this hotel to anyone and will be visiting again

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Lincoln Hotel

Reviewed 4 September 2010

My son and daughter in law picked the Lincoln Hotel as their venue for their reception. From the start of the process The Lincoln Hotel staff were efficient, highly professional, friendly and helpful. Words cannot express how the wedding day went. The service by the hotel staff was of the highest calibre. I could not have asked for a better experience. nothing was too much trouble. The organiser of the wedding, the master of cerermony, the staff, were excellent. If that were not good enough, the location, opposite the cathedral offered the best location for photographs for the wedding. The whole day was one of the best days of my life and it is down to the exceptional service we recieved at The Lincoln Hotel. Thank you so much. I could not recommend this hotel enough for a venue for a wedding.
To all the staff. Thank you so much for making my son and daughter in laws day so very very special. The food was excellent the atmosphere fantastic, the layout magical. /What a team of professionals you are.

Many many many thanks and the kindest of regards,

Peter and Helen Wilkie (parents to Jonathan Radley and his beatiful wife, Simone.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank petehell12
vicky121178, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. You can be assured I will be passing your comments on to all the staff, especially the wedding staff who you specifically mentioned. It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lincoln Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 August 2010

Im not going to go into a full review but me and my wife got married here on the 31st of July. The staff were perfect, and the food was the best ive eaten since. Everybody involved with our wedding couldn't have done any more for us (unless they can control the weather) We will be going back for a meal which we decided the next morning. Perfect, and the manager Vicky couldn't be more helpful and professional!! A truly high end service.

1  Thank AdiHouden

Thank you ever so much for a lovely review.

It was a pleasure working with you on making your wedding day so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lincoln Hotel soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

I arrived on a very wet day and got a great welcome and warm smile from receptiion which boded well for the stay. Paid a little extra for a cathedral view room and worth every penny. The room was very comfortable and far better than some chain hotels. I had planned to eat out but the rain continued and although the Green Room was closed for a few days ate in the bar/breakfast area. A delight-great waiting staff-all smiles all evening...the hotel must have v good HR !
Breakfast of clearly local produce where possible was very nice and a fast friendly checkout rounded the visit off. This is an independant hotel and all the better for it and it shows - and is well worth a stay for whatever reason. There was a wide mix of guests.. Finally one of the things that attracted me to the hotel is the frequent managerial responses on here......an important clue that they care about their guests and listen...you can't say that about many places. Not to be missed - esp for the price !!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for kindly leaving such a lovely review of our hotel, I'm pleased you had such a pleasant stay with us and I do hope the rain didn't stop you going out and exploring our magical city. If it did then I look forward to welcoming you back to Lincoln & The Lincoln Hotel in the future so you can explore the city and all Lincoln has to offer.
I will make sure that your comments are shared with the team as it is so rewarding to pass on positive remarks such as these.
Thank you once agian.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed here with my family for four nights earlier this month and overall I enjoyed my stay here. The location is lovely. You only have to cross one road before you get to the edge of the Cathedral's grounds then it's only a short walk to Lincoln's other main attractions (Castle, Musuem of Lincolnshire Life etc). The first night we stayed here there was a wedding in the main restaurant so we ate in the Green Room which is the a la carte one. The menu is pretty fancy (and probably not to everyone's tastes) but the food was very good. The choice at breakfast was also very good and of a decent quality. We also ate in the main restaurant and were pleased with the choice of meals. The rooms and some public areas do need some work doing to them but the same could be said of most hotels of this age in this country. Overall a pleasant stay. A bit more investment in updating rooms would make this a very good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website. I am extremely happy to see that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Lincoln Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive such lovely feedback. We are lucky to be placed in such a convenient spot for the city centre and encourage many of our guests to experience the city’s culture. I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you here again in the future.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend over a weekend in July 2010. The hotel is perfectly adequate for a weekend break but overall we found it to be a mixed bag.

The location is second-to-none with an excellent view over to the cathedral from the balcony of our third floor room. The room, while clean and fairly spacious, contained a comfortable bed but also a mishmash of new, old and ugly furniture (I hated the plastic desk and chair which looked like picnic furniture), the décor was a little tired and the carpet stained. The bathroom had clearly been done up recently but the rest of the room (including the prison cell-style bathroom door) hadn’t yet caught up. The catch to lock the balcony door was broken, making it difficult to lock. This was not a problem for us, but would be worrying for those with young children. The corridor on which our room was located also looked like something out of a prison cell – dark, dingy paintwork and carpets – and badly in need of redecoration. The bedroom doors still lock with an old-fashioned door key rather than a swipe card.

The Lincoln is clearly a popular venue for functions (there was a wedding on both nights we were there), so if you are looking for peace and quiet I would not stay here. The noise from the traffic, functions and cathedral bells didn’t really bother us too much but it’s worth bearing in mind.

We ordered breakfast in our room both mornings. The first morning the breakfast arrived half an hour early and we had been brought butter instead of low fat spread. The toast was cheap, rubbery white bread and the tea was cold and stewed. Bizarrely, both times there were no cups and saucers on the breakfast tray. I just had the impression it was all rather slapdash with not enough attention to detail. I am not surprised breakfast is included in the price as nobody would pay extra for that. However, my boyfriend had arranged for a box of handmade chocolates to be left in the room on arrival and these were delicious.

The staff at reception were also a mixed bag – some efficient and friendly, others gave us the impression they would rather be anywhere else but behind the front desk.

All in all, a mixed experience, but I have stayed in far worse hotels than this and for the location alone – close to all the major sights and some lovely little restaurants – I was just about able to grit my teeth and ignore the less favourable aspects.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am pleased you enjoyed Lincoln and all the city has to offer.
We welcome all constructive comments as it helps us to improve the service and experience we offer. I will be speaking with both the Food & Beverage Manager & Reception Manager about their staff and how we can improve our customer service. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Lincoln Hotel in the future and improve on your level of satisfaction with your stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Stayed for one night on our way to Norfolk. Decided to break our journey at the last minute to visit the castle and cathedral. Initially, we were discouraged from the outside by its corporate appearance but after looking at another so called 5star hotel featured in Lonely Planet where the car park was host to a number of men drinking cans of lager, decided upon The Lincoln. We were warmly welcomed by the young receptionist on duty and our room had a great view of the cathedral and was clean, comfortable and well equipped.
Had a very good night's sleep but for being woken by the corporation dustcart starting its round at 5am! - however, being a warm night, we had slept with the window open so this may not be a problem most of the time.
Not being fans of most hotel breakfasts, we were very pleasantly surprised to find an excellent range of fresh fruit, cereals and choice of hot food with decent coffee and tea served by a waitress. Did not bother with the DIY toast arrangements