“Would rate it a 4 Star” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Would rate it a 4 Star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

I was very pleasantly surprised about how lovely this hotel is. I paid £90 through late rooms for B & B Cathedral facing room and it was beuatiful, comfortable, clean, super modern and better then I have stayed in some 4 star raed hotels. It looked like the room had been recently refurbished because everything was so new looking including the shower. Downside if you are tall, the shower is built for people 5ft 5inches and under, but will still stay again because everything else was so good. Breakfast was very good as well.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Harrogate
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

This is a tricky one, half of me wants to give a bad review, the other half thinks that's unfair so here goes !
I had already spotted the 'Lincoln Hotel' on a day trip to Lincoln a few weeks previously and, yes, it does look a bit like a jazzed up version of Grange Hill School from the outside and I'm amazed such a monstrosity was ever built in that area, but its location to the Cathedral and the Bailgate area of old Lincoln was worth it.
Or so I thought. As other reviewers have pointed out on here, the first thing you are presented with upon check in is a 'price list' of all the things you will be charged with should you misbehave and damage the room. I'm afraid I found that rather off putting and made me feel uneasy, it's not very welcoming to be treated as a potential criminal. They also insist on swiping your card with the curious amount of £105.00 to be held 'just incase' Well the 'just in case' seems to be lasting rather a long time as a week later it is still held on my credit card e-statement as a pending transaction even though the full amount has been paid in full and charged to my card, so my beady eye will be on that one as well !
The other thing I spotted was the registration card quoted £90.00 for our one nights stay, I was quick to point out our deal off the net was £80.00 and after a bit of embarrassed spluttering the receptionist amended this. I did think it was a little suspicious though that previously I'd received an email offering me an upgrade for an additional £10.00 per night which I'd not bothered to take up , perhaps they were hoping I wouldn't notice.
After taking the lift to our room, which was nicely appointed, and clean with Cathedral views ( I take it this was the mysterious upgrade room they still gave us ) !
Unfortunately it was then downhill all the way, I decided to 'spend a penny' and on entering the newly refurbished shower room there was a very faint odour of drains and when I lifted the lavatory lid the whole seat came away in my hand, thank goodness I didn't sit down I could've been jettisoned into the wash hand basin !
If this had been a normal hotel, we would've managed for one night and reported it on check out the next morning, but with the thoughts of the hotel management and their 'price list' I was straight down to reception.
We were then moved to a room on the top floor, and I see what other reviewers mean about the corridors, very shabby and tatty, fortunately the room was ok.
My next quibble is the lack of hot water, I had to endure a lukewarm shower and by the time I'd finished there was no hot water at all for my Husband, so as we headed out to dinner, it was off to reception again to report this.
After a comfortable nights sleep, I'm pleased to report there was, at last, some hot water ! And we had a very nice breakfast which is buffet style but of a very nice quality with pleasant, attentive staff.
Check out went smoothly, I do think being charged £5.00 to park is a bit steep, but I was past caring by now to be honest.
so in short:
the good points,
good location.
pleasant staff, who must have to endure tongue lashings on a regular basis from hotel guests.
pleasant enough rooms.

the bad points:
ugly building.
carpets throughout that need a jolly good hoovering.
the damages 'price list' .
limited hot water.
parking fee for residents.

So all in all, I wouldn't personally stay there again, but it's ok. I'm also aware that it's a privately owned hotel, but I get the feeling everything must be run on a tight budget which is fair enough, however, I'm not keen on the way they seem to be renovating this place in fits and starts, very shoddy.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln_Hotel01, Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel, I am disappointed to hear about your stay. I will be speaking to both our House Manager and Reception Manager about your issues as these are things that should have been rectified before your check in and stay with us.
We welcome all constructive comments as it helps us to improve the service and experience we offer, so I will be looking into the signing of the damage waiver on check in and how the reception ask and explain why we pre-authorise our guest's cards.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Lincoln Hotel in the future and improve on your level of satisfaction with your stay.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

one of the best hotels i have stayed staff and service excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln_Hotel01, General Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Thank you for your kind comments I shall pass them on to the staff here at The Lincoln Hotel.
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I liked the hotel, the room was pleasant, the public areas have open aspects and are to a modern standard. The breakfast was lovely.

Just one thing I didn't like was being asked to sign for charges in case of breakages/damage to room on arrival - not very welcoming. Gives the impression that the guest is not trusted, or that the hotel has a lot of trouble.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here and you enjoyed your breakfast, we do try to serve the best breakfast in Lincoln!
The damage waiver is something that I am looking in to so thank you for bringing it to my attention.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip - the corridors were dark, paintwork shabby and the carpets were stained - bedrooms went from being very small to medium size with most of them with no views When a wedding is on do not expect good service. I waited for 1 hour for a panni

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that your stay with us didn't live up to your expectations, if you would like to discuss this with me in more detail please contact the hotel on 01522-520348.
Peterborough
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

This had been booked as a business group with our manager paying by credit card. Reception insisted on everyone having their credit card swiped and even after that some were unable to charge drinks to their room. Worse than that , thinking these little glitches had been sorted I checked out and it was agreed that my bill had been charged to our manager who duly paid the bill. Only later did I find that I had also had my credit card billed as well. After a number of phone calls their accounts dept refunded the money but absolutely no sign of an apology from the management. Also on check-in the receptionist advised us that we had been given an upgrade yet tried to charge for the upgrade at checkout. Hot water does not appear to exist in this hotel, even at 5 am. Restaurant not available although pre-booked earlier. All in all this hotel has gone seriously downhill since previous stays and cannot recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank teebee100
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am very disappointed to hear about your stay and I shall be looking in to your groups stay with us and what went wrong. If you would like to discuss this with me in more detail please contact the hotel on 01522-520348.
With Sincere Apologies
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

I had my wedding at the Lincoln hotel on the 3rd September and I could not have asked for more. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the whole experience was perfect, the staff could not do enough for us and looked after us and all of our gests wonderfully. The food was great, and not just the wedding breakfast we had but the breakfast the next day for all of the hotel guests as well, everyone who stayed at the hotel with us said how nice the food and the rooms were. We stayed in the princess suite which was a lovely room, I had a look at some of my friends rooms as well and they were all very good. So the hotel, food, rooms and location were all perfect but our day was made by the wedding staff, so a big thank you to all of them and to vicky for organising such a wonderfull day for me and my husband, we will be recomending The Lincoln and so will my family and friends. Thank you, Mr and Mrs Radley.

• Stayed September 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Mr & Mrs Radley for taking the time to review the hotel. I am delighted you had the perfect wedding day here at The Lincoln Hotel and I shall pass on your thanks to all the staff at the hotel who helped make your day perfect.
We wish you all the very best for the future.