“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 2 January 2014

After seeing the hotel listed as #12 out of 14 we were pleasantly surprised. Room comfortable, great big bed. Fabulous views of cathedral but be prepared for early morning bells! We were there for a 50th birthday and staff in bar & restaurant v helpful & food pretty good too. Great location for cathedral & castle & boutique shops of uphill Lincoln.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
LincolnWhiteHart, General Manager at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear LFandJF,
I really appreciate your kind words and thoughts regarding our hotel and your recent stay with us, I will certainly pass on your positive comments to the team. We have recently undertaken a full refurbishment of our 50 bedrooms so it’s pleasing to see that our efforts are being appreciated by the people they are intended for – our customers!

I was also pleased to read that you felt our team in both the restaurant and bar were helpful and the food was also a winner! I hope the birthday celebrations were enjoyed by all and the cathedral bells didn’t disappoint you too much!

Please don’t wait too long to come and see us again, we very much look forward to providing you with another warm, welcome and pleasant stay.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Oh dear!
Whatever has happened to The White Hart? This used to be a prestige hotel with an excellent reputation. Very similar to The George at Stamford; an old, historic coaching hotel of which, has been in Lincoln since Georgian times.
Gone are the gracious features and beautiful antique furniture and wooden paneling. In are the cheap leatherette bucket chairs ancd chipboard tables. No individuality or taste. Reminded me of a student common room. A lot of the furniture wass tatty; the cushions had burst through the covers and had not been mended, tables were bashed and scruffy.
We waited for ages to be served, but eventually left and went somewhere else.
I can a only assume that the hotel has had a change of management. Surely someone should get a grip and do something to restore the reputation of this once iconic hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank caroline g

Dear caroline g,
I was so surprised and disappointed to read your review and I would like to apologise for any shortcomings that you may have experienced on you recent visit. It is most unusual for us to receive negative comments such as these and I will be talking to the team to ensure that these issues are not repeated.

It must have been a while since your last visit as the refurbishment of our public areas took place over 5yrs ago and the vast majority of feedback has been positive and both increased and improved the profile of the hotel for the benefit of our customers since the work was carried out. We have also recently undertaken a full refurbishment of all 50 bedrooms. I do however, appreciate that change is not to everyone’s liking and I’m sorry that this is the case for you.

I do hope your experience will not deter you from visiting other hotels in Lincoln, we have a vast array of different styles, locations and budgets within the city. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is appreciated and welcome.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here in October with my partner in a suite for 2 nights. The issues that we had are as below:

1) On arrival the reception staff were very standoffish! We arrived early (and I was aware of that which is why I informed them on arrival that we had a room booked for the weekend rather than we were there to check in. I was encountered with someone telling me that it was only 10am and people were still using the rooms!). Finally, she asked if we would like to leave our bags (which is actually all we wanted and didn't need to be patronised in the meantime).

2) We hadn't had breakfast (due to setting off early) and I asked the receptionist if there was anywhere we could eat. She informed us that the breakfast is available as it would be served for another hour. She led us to the restaurant which was empty (apart from a few staff who were packing away breakfast and moving around furniture!)

3) We were then apologised to and given a room service menu and told that we could order at bar. Once we had chosen what we would like, I went to to the bar to order. I was told that there was no food until noon. I explained the circumstances to the barmaid and told her that we had been informed we could order from the menu (that I had in my hand) and again she said that the kitchen wasn't open. At this point, we left the hotel to look for breakfast elsewhere! Very unwelcoming and unprofessional!

4) Our room was very noisy. We could hear, people on the street until past midnight, squeaking floorboards above us, our bed shook every time someone walked along the corridor and there was a loud random gurgling sound which came from the bathroom (which I actually recorded as it was unbelievable).

5) We ordered breakfast in our room only to realise that although we had booked a suite, there actually wasn't anywhere we could sit and eat it so we ending up trying to eat it on our lap which was uncomfortable and unjustified!

6) On returning from being out on the second day our room had not been cleaned despite being out of the room early (as we were attending a wedding).

7) The list of items which should have been in our room when we booked were not there. These were small things but it starts to make you think what else they're being deceitful about!

So, overall a terrible stay especially for the money paid! Stay elsewhere when visiting Lincoln as this isn't worth it! Also, if you're thinking about a wedding here I would suggest against it! From what I witnessed, they seem to 'manufacture' weddings somewhat and it's more like a production line that you'll experience rather than 'your special day'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Holiday_Junkie222
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed over whilst the Christmas market was on so was a very busy weekend.Could not have a better location in the city,but the price you pay is the noise,We were on the top floor directly overlooking the cathedral,but the windows were constantly steamed up and running with condensation ,so don't think they were double glazed which meant we could hear all the noise from the street and the Westminster chimes.I had my ear plugs but my husband didn't-we are returning in September and I'm sure he'll have them then.Room was quite small for the price -but it is city centre and the bathroom a bit dated.Staff were friendly and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel is right in the middle of the city by the cathedral, it is good for a city hotel but it is old so you get that feeling. My room was quite small but okay, creaky floors as expected, but worse was to come. I was at the front of the hotel and the recycling lorry came at 6.20am and for 10mins made a terrible racket smashing bottles. Make sure you are at the back looking at the fantastic cathedral.

Room Tip: At the back or suffer the consequence
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This old hotel positioned in the heart of historic Lincoln has a long history.the rooms have all recently been upgraded to a high standard.The staff are friendly and the food,particularly breakfast is good.The car park is free and very handy.The only problem is noise from firstly,drunks then the emptying of empty bottles into a skip and then a dog that announces that the streets have been cleaned!All this can begin at about 4am-sleep thereafter is rare.The remedy would appear to either take ear plugs or ask for a room on the cathedral side.Apart from the noise it is an excellent hotel and base.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have just come back from a two night break which was a visit to the Chirstmas markets and also took my parents as a Christmas treat. We went expecting everywhere to be busy and noisy. Luckily I had read the reivews so packed some earplugs which I definitely needed. The rooms were really big and recently decorated (we were on the second floor) and of a good standard and the beds are very comfortable. But the soundproofing is diabolical. The wind howled through them and you could hear everything on the streets below. I really don't expect to have to bring and wear earplugs in a hotel that is costing £190 a night!!! This really is unacceptable and spoilt our stay. What is the point of a lovely, huge comfortable bed if it is too noisy to sleep?
The other gripe was the service in the bar. As one reviewer has commented, they have changed the bar and restaurant into 'dark, trendy, cold, modern areas'. We waited ages at the bar while the two staff fumbled about making cocktails. It would have been much better if they had a dedicated cocktail bar and left the residents bar area alone. And to only have two staff on at their busiest time of year is just plain daft
The food in the restaurant was nice, tasty and reasonable value for money. It was a limited menu, but that's what I would expect when they are so busy.
The staff however, were exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble and they were happy and friiendly - a top example of how great customer service should be. Considering the place was heaving, it would not have been surprising if they were stressed and off hand, but not one gave less than brilliant service.
The White Hart advertisies itself a being an umarket atmospheric hotel and to a degree this is correct. It is a shame that hotels feel the need to modernise so that the old world charm is lost. It is also a shame that they don't seem to think that it is important to make rooms quiet for people to sleep in! Please, double glaze the windows, sort the creaky floors out and get rid of the cocktail menu!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the cathedral and take earplugs....
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family