“Fantastic and Central” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Lincoln
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
“Fantastic and Central”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Just had a 1 night break at this hotel,just wanted somewhere central,good price and parking. It didnt dissapoint.. Spotless,friendly staff..breakfast was gorgeous and the staff couldnt do enough for you. Cant wait to come here again,and Lincoln is beautiful place.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
GW1980

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and hopefully you’ll be able to spend a little longer with us to see all that the hotel and Lincoln has to offer.

Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I didn't stay at this hotel, but have just attended our works Christmas meal! Well I use the term meal very loosely! I have received better quality food at 2 for £10 venues. I don't like huge meals anyway, but even for me they were tiny. The food was cold, nothing as described in the menu and if I had 3 slices of carrot I was lucky. The dessert was a Lemon n Lime Tart, with soggy pastry that came out warm, probably warmer than the Main Meal. They couldn't even supply cream with your dessert. For some reason the tart had a strange flavour of aniseed to it! Bizarre! My friends husband had to send his meal back as it was cold, and I could see several other meals going back too! Meals came out missing potatoes, all 3 small ones at that! Apparently the Gents toilet facilities were disgusting too! Well Holiday Inn if that is all you can offer, I don't think you will be seeing any of our party again in a hurry! I did ask to see the manager, who was a waste of space, and all he could do was apologise and say we would have to contact the party organiser! Oh yes don't worry we all will be! I think this has to be the worst meal at a Christmas party I have ever had! If they can't cope with this volume of people then they shouldn't offer to cater for such large parties! AVOID EATING HERE!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Lisa H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
Cromer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Last year I gave this hotel a really good review, and that hasn't altered. However, I didn't mention that we'd had a problem booking in, because I thought it was a one-off, but went to stay there this year and again had the same problem booking in. Again they had no record of our reservation and whilst we were at the front desk sorting it out, several guests returned to reception to say the room they were given already had people in them! The person who attended to us was a girl called Gemma, and she couldn't have been nicer or more polite. It's not her fault that the Holiday Inn booking system is faulty. Once we were finally in our room, with which we were very happy, we had the experience of someone having been given our room! Then about an hour later, a woman from housekeeping opened our door and walked in, and she was really surprised to see us there as she thought the room was empty! Not good at all. So Holiday Inn, if you're reading this you have to get your act together! Apart from that, our stay was just as good as last year, I can recommend this hotel wholeheartedly. We were on a special deal which included dinner on one night and that was really delicious. Just be prepared for and anticipate possible problems when you book in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Lia H

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay with us, I am pleased that on the whole your stay was everything you expected. It is pleasing to hear that you would recommend the hotel to others and that you found the meal to be delicious.

Obviously on the other hand it is disappointing to hear that you experience problems checking in on two consecutive occasions. This is not the norm and the procedures have been looked at recently, I offer my most sincere apologies for this experience. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and we can put right that final thing to make your stay as perfect as it should be.

Thank you once again for you comments and I look forward to seeing you in the future.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I always book this hotel as it is in an excellent location for exploring the town, but I wasn't impressed this time. The room was mostly fine although the bath needed a good clean and I spent ages trying to work out where the flush was for the toilet (behind the shower curtain).
Check in was ok. Although the key didn't work so I had to go back downstairs to get a new one.
They charge for wifi in the hotel, which I can't believe when they charge so much for the hotel rooms.
The breakfast was excellent as ever, although on the second morning they poured me tea but didn't give me any milk. After 5 mins, I asked where the milk was for my tea, they said to get a glass of milk.
In the bathroom, the toiletries include handwash by the sink and all in one showergel/shampoo by the bath. However, on the second morning, there was no showergel left, which meant I had to get out the bath to get some handwash to use.

When I checked in, I was not told the check out time, so I looked round the room and on the back of the door there was a sign clearly saying that the check out time was 1300. So having spent my morning shopping, I went back and just got out the shower when I got a phonecall to say that check out was at 1200 and I needed to vacate the room. When I said there was a sign on the back of the door saying it was 1300, she basically said I had misread the sign and that was for people who had arranged late check out. This was not the case - it said 1300 unless a late checkout had been arranged. Her attitude was rather rude so I ensured I took a photo to prove to her that it was the sign that was wrong. I then rushed to pack my bags and vacated the room with soaking wet hair and generally looking a complete state. Arriving in reception, there was a large party wanting to check in and she made them say out loud the checking in and out times - I felt that this was aimed at me as the party had obviously heard the phonecall. I silently stood there getting more angry. I then had to wait at least 20 minutes whilst the group checked in. However, there had been a problem with their booking so I had to wait whilst this was sorted out, still stood there looking like a drowned rat.

When she finally got round to serving me, I showed her the photo clearly stating check out time is 1300 and she made a rude comment, as if I should have known better - really?!? To make matters worse, she then gave me the bill and they had charged me extra for breakfast, which should have been included in the price. So they then had to sort that out. I left the hotel furious, but had kept quiet throughout.

There are hotels nearby of a similar standard where the wifi is free and the staff don't patronise you, so I'm more likely to go there next time. Although the room is nice, the problems I experienced this time will mean I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear wheretonext1979,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is delightful to know that our location was of convenience and the breakfast served suited your liking. It is disappointing though that the level of service received did not completely meet your liking. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Holiday Inn Lincoln is in a fantastic location, central, in the hustle 'n' bustle and has its own car park, a great bonus in a city where parking is as freely available as bananas at the North Pole. Being a slightly needy guest, only at times, the staff and in particular management were enthusiastic in their endeavours and no request was too much trouble. The rooms are large and very clean living up to the Holiday Inn standard as you would expect. The bar, themed Sporty, have a great range of meals and drinks with a Starbucks at the front tops off the experience nicely.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel and will hopefully, one day in the future, I will be able to return.

Room Tip: Take your time on the wharf - it's magic
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
ScaryBadgerFace

It is so pleasing to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us from rooms to the Sports Bar and the Starbucks.

What is particularly nice to read however is that you found our staff and the management to be so enthusiastic towards your needs, we do pride ourselves on making our guests feel valued and going that extra mile.

As you say, you hope to return in the future, and we look forward to welcoming you back should you choose to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Friday to Sunday with dinner first night deal. Location is excellent and hotel parking in city centre is reasonable. Staff were friendly and welcoming and the room was a nice size however bathroom decor was dated. The first night dinner was only ok and we did complain about the fatty meat and received a round of drinks free. The breakfast was excellent though and the room was nice a quiet. Overall a nice but not special place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear 2bestmates,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area and found our staff to be friendly. We would like to apologize you were not satisfied with your in-room bathroom and the dinner you had did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Balderton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed for one night and the room was clean and the staff very friendly. The location of this hotel is good and easily accessible. Just out the front door and you are on the Brayford with lots of restaurants and the cinema, very useful.

At busy times it might be necessary to have more than one person on reception.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear MurfinK,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay and impression of the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us what a positive experience you had with our convenient hotel location and appreciate the kind remarks on our clean rooms and friendly staff. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Zelyn N