“Nice hotel”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have been to Lincoln at least 6 times now, stopped in this hotel 4 times, lovely beds and friendly staff, bathrooms could do with a make over, the sink tap felt like it would snap off at any time it was so stiff, also the light sounded like it was going to explode, the lift are very fast, I personally think the breakfast could be better, if it's not included it will cost you £10! Very nice walk on the front with loads of restaurants and bars, then just a shot walk to loads more pubs and restaurants up the high street. Would recommend Lincoln if you like this sort of thing or if you like shopping, cathedral's worth a look too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to deliver feedback on your experience here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln and for choosing to return frequently. I am pleased to hear that you find the large beds comfortable and the team here friendly and will be sure to share your comments.

I agree that the bathrooms require attention and I am pleased to say that we have projects planned to combat the taps and lighting early this year. I would be very interested to hear more about the improvements that you feel could be made at breakfast as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest’s experience.

As you say we are in an ideal location with many bars and shopping just a short walk away, I trust you will visit us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Vilnius
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here over Christmas... it does what it says on the tin. What annoyed me was overhearing a fellow guest at reception say that she wanted a discount and threatening to write on TA.

It's a sad world when TA is used as a threat to save a few pennies....

I hope she reads this and feels guilty... it was check out on Dec 27.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review. I trust that you had a pleasant stay and will return when you are next visiting the beautiful city of Lincoln.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I had booked my birthday weekend in the so called Holiday inn Lincoln.
If this is operated by Holiday inn I will be very surprised.
I arrived in the smallest reception area I have ever seen in my life after trying to negotiate the parking instructions.
We traveled around 100 miles to get there n it took a further hour to find the place.
You have to drive down a road dedicated to pedestrians.
In the hotel we waited whilst the two staff were discussing their private lives in the "office" off reception.
When we did attract their attention we told to "give us a second"
Eventually we were told I 'm sorry no rooms available to 3.30 even though I was a Platinum member.
We were not best pleased.
We were then threatened with a fine if we did not enter our car number immediately in the computer screen on the counter.
I said, "surely that's what a hotel does look after my car"
I asked how could I be fined as the car park was on private land and the local authority could not impose a fine.
I was told fines were now being handed out readily by a private company, which I know to be impossible.
I stated I was not going to be threatened in such a way and my wife and I cancelled the room and left.
When I stated I was platinum member taking up a rewards night and expected more from IHG she said I could have free drink. Its something new we are doing!
I lost 25000 points a tank of petrol and had to book into another hotel, who were delighted to see us.

Room Tip: Hilton is great next door
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear john F,

We would like to first of all thank you for providing a review. It is truly unfortunate to see the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time with us. We take these reviews very seriously as they help us to identify areas that might benefit from additional attention and improvement. We would also like to follow up with you directly and have sent you a private message.

We thank you again for leaving feedback on your stay. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Adrian D.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Located on the marina the hotel is just a few minutes walk from the city centre and has a wealth of restaurants and bars right on the doorstep. This came in handy as unfortunately the hotel restaurant was closed that evening due to a Christmas party being held on site. We stayed for one night in early December, so the area was buzzing all day and evening with groups of people making it a lively location, but not to the point of disturbing a night’s sleep. This central location has to be the main selling point of the hotel.

There is a decent sized car park behind the hotel, but this is charged extra to the rooms, £5 a night. The check-in process was relatively swift with friendly desk staff and we were given a room on the fourth floor with a view over the car park.

The room itself was a decent size, although I felt the bathroom was feeling a little dated. Everything was clean and in typical Holiday Inn style a choice of firm & soft pillows on the bed. The biggest disappointment was that there was no free wifi within the room, instead with it being available at the usual extortionate hotel prices. Whether unique to my mobile network, but I was also unable to get a 3G signal within the room. It was also a shame that the soap / shampoo bottles within the bathroom hadn’t been fully topped up before our arrival. This meant that one ran out in the shower before our check-out the following day. However, the sleep quality in the room was great and it was a relief that the air-conditioning / heater unit was efficient! A very large LCD TV with access to all channels was a nice touch.

Breakfast was included with our room and we certainly had no complaints here - a buffet affair with plenty of choices, hot and cold. The hot items were topped up frequently and there were plenty of staff to assist. Free newspapers were also available, making a relaxing meal at the first floor window over the marina a pleasant experience. On a Sunday, breakfast is available right up until 11am, with room check-out time at midday.

On the weekend we visited, Lincoln was obviously busy as there were few other hotel options available to us. Possibly as a result, our one night was quite expensive, and even with the inclusive breakfast we were surprised at the expense. With the lack of free wifi and car parking not included, it didn’t seem great value for money. The room itself was fine and I’ve no complaints with the cleanliness or features etc, and the breakfast was lovely. I would stay at the hotel again, however before doing so I’d look around elsewhere to see what better, more value for money options are available.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view over the car park can see the cathedral in the distance.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevebintley
Dear MK_Steve_B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with some amenities in the bathroom and for the inconvenience you had with the lack of WiFi service in your room. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights 28th/ 29th November at this Holiday Inn.
We stayed in one of the executive double rooms, which offered excellent views of Brayford Waterfront Marina. Breakfast and free wifi was included in the tariff for the executive room. We also had free mineral water and snacks along with bath robes/ slippers.
I have to say the room offered excellent facilities and to be frank I don’t understand some of the negative reviews posted.
The hotel itself is situated in a prime location on the waterfront and is an ideal base to enjoy all that Lincoln has to offer whether it be the first class shopping facilities, Cathedral or Castle.
I must advise though that there is quite a steep climb from the waterfront up to the Cathedral and Castle area via the notoriously named “Steep Hill” (and it is steep!)
To compensate for this there is a shuttle bus service that runs on a regular basis from the waterfront.
Brayford Waterfront has a vast array of restaurants, bars and eateries to cater for most tastes, we ate at the Harvester restaurant next door to the hotel one evening and the “Ask Italian” restaurant the following night, both first class. There is no need to walk into town but it’s only a five to ten minute walk if you choose to do so for the many tea rooms and pubs Lincoln has on offer.

Breakfast in the hotel was buffet style and I have to say was excellent, the dining area again overlooks the waterfront.
The room was well maintained, hot water a plenty, comfortable and decorated to a high standard. Reception staff very efficient, friendly, helpful and genuinely customer focussed. There is a car park to the rear of the hotel; no problem getting a space and it was £5 a night.
One thing I must point out is to get to the hotel you have to literally drive down onto and along the Brayford Waterfront pedestrian area, the hotel is not signposted well and I would advise you to use your Sat Nav (if you have one) to locate the street that leads to the waterfront (I think it’s called ‘Lucy Tower Street’.

I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again and would recommend both the hotel and Lincoln for anyone looking for a quality relaxing short break.

Room Tip: Look for deals on the Executive rooms, these offer fantastic views, if unsure ask.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
P Cartlidge

Thank you for taking the time to offer you feedback on your stay with us.

It is lovely to read such positive comments regarding the amenities, staff, location and the breakfast we offer here.

Rest assured that access is allowed along Brayford Wharf North although signage is something we are working on.

I hope should you choose to visit Lincoln again you will give us the opportunity to serve you and your wife again.

Once again thank you for your kind words
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great position right on the waterside lots of restaurants within easy walking distance, perfect for a spot of shopping.

Parking available at the rear of the hotel £5 a night extra, ran by a parking company so make sure you register properly.

Public areas: very limited with no lounge and a small reception. Internal entrance to a Starbucks and a sports bar. The sports bar seemed to be manned by Holiday Inn staff was smart and bright with comfortable sofas. Large screen TV with a constant feed of Sky Sports. As this bar was serving as the only public area I am not convinced this will suit everyone (Not everyone wants sport all the time) although pleasant enough. All reception staff were very helpful and keen to please.

Bedrooms: Typical Holiday Inn Room (An ex Travel Agent of 25+ years experience) clean comfortable, acceptably sized but minimalist décor. Good sized and modern Samsung flat screened TV, huge boat sized comfortable bed. Not one drawer in the whole room ??. Smart little bedside reading lights. Big thing made of 7 different types of pillows being available ?? (random or what?)
Bathroom: Small functional and clean. Nasty permanent stain round the plughole (Room 204) and a hideous yellowed plastic hair-dryer.

Breakfast and Xmas Dinner: Meals were taken on a mezzanine floor above the sports bar, the area was pleasant although the lack of festive decorations was disappointing; the views over the waterside area were very uplifting. The food at breakfast was excellent and plentiful although why the aircon was freezing everyone and we had to suffer background potted music I do not know. The Xmas dinner was a mixed bag. The food was quite good although when my wife asked what she had ordered and what the soup was (she had pre chosen 3 months earlier) the pig ignorant staff member said she didn't know and walked off, no apology or attempt to ask anyone else! During the meal there was no background music so the festive feeling was lacking. The dance part of the evening was a bit of a joke, 2 DJ's plus rig were set up at the bottom of the stairs in the sports bar and clearly had no idea what they were doing, the music switched from genre to genre with little or no pattern and certainly no idea of how to get a party started. Worse still the dance floor blocked the main thoroughfare from the entrance of the bar to the hotel so you had strangers walking though the middle of the dance area whilst you were trying to dance.

Facilities: Most of the facilities were available via the remote control on the TV, although my parents would have struggled to navigate this and may not have been able to watch the TV at all. A bit less reliance on the TV remote would have been more palatable. Now my personal gripe! - £15.00 a day for internet, come on UK hotel market WAKE UP .. 7 choices of pillows could have paid for my meagre internet needs, FREE down at MacDonalds, FREE everywhere in the USA.

Summary: Brilliant position, facilities would not suit everyone - the midweek business traveller would probably be very happy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear JoeyVincent,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We are delighted to read you liked our location. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I've been staying here for the month room was always cleaned great location food could be better not the worst I've had but more choice would be great staff were very friendly especially Kayleigh and Connor these two are a credit to the holiday inn.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Itfc74
Itfc74

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your stay with us. It is pleasing to hear that you found the room to be clean and the hotels location to be great. It is obviously most pleasing to read that you found Kayleigh and Connor to be so responsive.

When people stay with us for extended periods of time the menu can soon seem sparse, should you stay with us again for any length of time be sure to speak to any of the team and we will be happy to provide bespoke dishes for you.

I look forward to seeing you in the future.