“Very Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Lincoln
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Me and my partner booked the hotel as we had some spare money, we dont often get the chance to treat ourselves as we've recently bought our first house.

The hotel reception was nice and clean and the staff were friendly. There was a queue at check in (3.00) so we had to wait quite a while, they might like to consider staggered check in in the future. However, this didn't bother us too much as these things happen!

Once we got to our room I was quite disappointed. the room was dark with no main light. the lights consisted of a lamp and small light above the door. Extra lamps were available to use but not very effective and one of them didn't even work. We also had a view of the carpark which was a bit disappointing.

There were tea facilities available and a television which was good and the room was very clean.

However, I then went to explore the bathroom. It was very outdated and had a bright fluorescent light like you would imagine an american motel might have. The tap didn't work properly for the sink and the plug would work either. I had to get my partner to push the lever down to hold the plug in so I could wash my face.

Later I had a shower, I was very put off by the fact they still use shower curtains. The last thing you want is someone else grime and dirty water sticking to you. A shower screen would have been expected. I definately wouldn't of had a bath there if you paid me, it looked like it had been decorated in the early 70's and was very off putting.

I wont be staying here again, we regularly stay at the IBIS in lincoln which is only a 2 star and i would say that I would pay even less for this holiday Inn as the IBIS seems to have much nicer rooms and better standards.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Lornok19,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. I am pleased to know that you had a smooth check-in experience. However, please accept my apologies if you were dissatisfied with the condition of your room and its bathroom facility. We will consider your comments for upgrades needed.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope you can give us another opportunity to make it as best as it can be.

Regards,

Pam G

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Booked in for 1 night midweek. Had a room overlooking the marina which was very pleasant. Bathroom a slight negative as sink tap not great and difficult to turn on. Fitness room not very big and rower display broken, not a massive problem though. Overall a decent place to stay for a business overnight stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Delouche

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay with us, I am pleased that you found the room to be pleasant with views of the picturesque Brayford Wharf. I am sorry to read however that you had problems with your taps and the gym equipment but pleased rest assured that we will look into this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should you choose to visit the city again.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

To start with the good point, the hotel's location: it is on the rejuvenated and now very attractive Brayford Wharf North, towards the end of a row of lively eating places ('The Homemade Hamburger Co' is strongly recommended). It's within walking distance of the station and both the upper and lower parts of the city centre.

Now to the less good points: the approach is through doors which are not easy to open towards one if carrying luggage, into an absurdly small reception area. I actually had to check that this was Reception, which it's difficult to pass through if more than a couple of people are checking in or checking out.

Another poor design feature is that there are no shelves or drawers in the type of room in which I was staying, so those there for more than one night have nowhere to put clean clothes.

Anywhere purporting to be an hotel should provide the guest's choice of national newspaper, not simply say that only one newspaper is provided (admittedly free, piled up in the breakfast room). The directions to a newsagent were hopelessly wrong.

By now, of course, one is more likely to find fault, but it wasn't difficult. Luckily I travel with my own dongle, as the hotel's wifi was always showing 'Limited or no connectivity'. (As an IHG card holder I hadn't paid for wifi).

The light for my floor in the control panel one of the lifts didn't work throughout my stay, so was obviously not checked on a daily basis. A fellow guest in the lift said - I think seriously - that he stayed in the hotel at least monthly and that it hadn't worked for a year.

Breakfast can get busy and there's no organised form of receiving guests. By now I wasn't really surprised to receive a (steel) cafetiere which was overfull, so spilling coffee everywhere, and to have to find my own milk by taking it from an adjoining table.

The staff (with an unusually high proportion of English amongst them) were friendly enough, but things just don't hang together and I can't recommend this hotel. The Doubletree by Hilton next door looked better, but a colleague strongly recommended 'The Castle', in the higher part of the city by the castle and cathedral.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarum_Castle
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Sarum_Castle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities and the service you received. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a deal on the price so were not surprised that we were facing the car park at the rear. This was not important as we would rather spend our money on food and drink outside of the hotel. The check in was efficient and the room spotless and had everything that we needed for our stay. Many bars and restaurants within walking distance.Would return at the right price.

Room Tip: If you wan.t a view of the water it was very expensive
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pinpongcrazy

Pinpongcrazy

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I am pleased to find that your stay was a pleasant one. It is great to read that you found the hotel and it’s amenities to be efficient and clean.

You have clearly picked the right location if food and drink are you thing as you will have seen the Brayford Wharf offers a wealth of eateries, I do hope that you visited our Sports Bar before you ventured out though.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lincoln and the hotel, and once again, thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

When I arrived near the holiday inn I didn't realise that the car park was behind the hotel. You go down a road called Lucy Tower Street which brings you to a pedestrian zone. You have to turn right and go along the quay side through the pedestrians and this brings you right up to the hotel car park. There were ample parking spaces.
The reception staff were lovely and were helpful when we were asking for nice places to eat. Our room was an executive room, very spacious with a huge bed. The view was overlooking all the boats in Brayford Quay. The room had a sitting area, iron and ironing board and everything that you needed. The mini bar consisted of two bottles of water and a kitkat...which I thought was amusing.
We decided to have breakfast in our room and this service cost £3.95 which we were happy to pay. We ordered almost everything on the list and stated what time we wanted it delivered..the latest time is 10 am on weekdays. The breakfast was delivered on time by two really nice ladies holding fully laiden trays. The food was lovely, but the hot food available for the tray service is sausage, bacon and eggs and not the full English. Everything was fresh and it was a nice change eating in the room.
We left the room at 12 and checked out...again the staff were lovely. I would stay here again for sure. Everything is close by and as a tourist it's a well placed hotel.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have the best view.
1  Thank catmad1966

Catmad1966

Thank you for taking the time to offer you feedback on your stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the executive room you stayed in to be will equipped and the staff to be friendly and helpful. As you mentioned the Brayford Wharf is a lovely area in which to spend some time.

It is also pleasing to read that you were able to relax in the morning with our room service breakfast option.

I hope that should you choose to visit Lincoln again you choose to spend it with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

CHECK IN: Stayed two nights - £140.00 - apparently a special deal - did not include breakfast. Apparently, king-size bedded rooms are ALL located at the rear of the building overlooking the ugly car park so no chance of a room overlooking the harbour, we did ask, so be warned. Room located near a noisy heavy plant building (constant humming) and the bins - so had to keep the bedroom window closed. Lots of banging of bins etc around 2 am. Check-in was slow and laborious - more interested in getting me to sign up as a member and they wanted our bank card number to cover any eventualities - I'm guessing she means buying wifi or buying breakfast - what is that all about? I can do that at check-out!! No offer of a wake-up call or newspaper. Car parking is £5 extra/night. Room is overlooked on all sides so quite dark. BEDROOM: Two 'dead' light bulbs on arrival, replaced immediately but one replacement 'popped' minutes later - must be a problem with the electrics. Mirror placed too high over the dressing/general table so had to stand to dry hair and do makeup. No hairdryer in the room. One armchair only. Stupid hefty office chair - presumably to sit on whilst doing e-mails etc - but the raising mechanism was broken. TV screen needs a good clean. Open wardrobe and no shelving?? BATHROOM: NO hot water - only warm. Just acceptable for a shower but forget using the bath - the water turned cold within seconds of being drawn. Black mouldy grouting around bath. Large area of damage to the enamel of the bath and ugly rusting mark. Extractor fan doesn't work. I personally do not use the shower gels that are provided but I noticed they had just enough gel for one shower...all a bit strange. OVERVIEW: The location is excellent - good eating chains close by - and a great breakfast can be had at Weatherspoons - just a minute away. However, the hotel itself needs a refurb, our room was just plain tired and worn out and the receptionist needs to get a grip on processes...too slow. Overpriced for what we received. Shan't stay again - the Double Tree is next door - will go there.

Room Tip: Do not accept Room 106, near the heavy plant building (constant humming) and bins. Be warned, all ki...
1  Thank a l
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear a l,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. Thank you for bringing these to our attention. We will address these with the proper department to improve the quality of product and service that we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I just rung up to speak to someone and they seemed more interested in speaking to someone else rather than me on the phone the girl was very rude and wasn't bothered about what I said and hung up the phone it has put me off staying there now.

• Stayed: February 2014
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Beany390

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent interaction with a member of our team. I sincerely apologise for the way you were treated, our policy is to put our guests at the heart of all that we do, and it is clear on this occasion that this is not the case.

I hope that you still give us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you.