“A happy anniversary indeed!”

Holiday Inn Lincoln
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
UK
“A happy anniversary indeed!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife and I decided to stay at this hotel for our wedding anniversary - without the kids. Booked through Topcashback / Expedia, £99 for a double room with breakfast, no problems checking in earlier than we really should, we had a room on the 3rd floor near the lift with a good view of the castle and cathedral. Well sound insulated - we were not bothered with people coming and going on the lift.
The bed was very comfy with both hard and soft pillows. Tea and coffee making facilities were there, but instead we drank wine and reveled in the child-free quiet.
The hotel is well placed for all of the amenities of Brayford Pool - lots of restaurants, a cinema, and the rest of Lincoln's a short walk away. As a result the only meal we had at the hotel was breakfast, a perfectly fine buffet arrangement.
So why not five stars? Well, a couple of issues, really: the bath was rather small. I'm no giant - well under 6' - and was rather hunched up in the tub. And the room was quite cold, you had to juggle two different heaters, one of which was rather slow to react to changes in the settings. Minor things, but enough to knock off a star.
No problems with the staff, all of whom that we spoke to were efficient, friendly and polite.
Shame it all had to end and we had to go home and pick up the kids, really!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan W
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dan W

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to read that you found the hotel and it's amenities to be pleasant and comfortable.

As you mention the hotel is ideally placed for so much of Lincoln's fine attractions.

I am sorry to hear that you found the bath to be too small for you and the heating systems to have left you cool for periods of your stay. While this is naturally disappointing to read I hope it did not effect your anniversary too much and hopefully you will choose to stay with us again in the future. It is feedback suc as yours that allow us to improve our service so we are thankful for that.

Once again thank you for taking the time to feedback to us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The service was 5 star from start to finish. Before we stayed, I emailed to ask for the name of a local taxi firm. The email reply was immediate, informative and helpful (an offer to book a taxi for us once we arrived.) Finding the hotel and parking there were both very easy. On arrival, we were greeted by a wonderfully friendly receptionist, Lisa Mc, who also turned out to be the efficient emailer. Lisa Mc, Lisa W and all the other members of staff were invariably smiling and said hello whenever we passed them. Our friends who arrived just after us were also greeted in the same way. Our rooms were very clean and had nice little touches such as a bathroom night light. We received extra teabags and coffee straight away upon request. All four of us had drinks and snacks in the bar area both evenings which was a relaxing way to end the day. Free wifi! The location was very good. Along with our friends, we walked up Steep Hill a few times which only took about 20 minutes and was very interesting, so being out of the city centre was not a problem. Closer to the hotel was Brayford Wharf with a good selection of restaurants. The retail park across the street also proved to be very handy. All in all, I would stay here again and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road as I assume there will be less traffic noise (not that the traffic...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TransatlanticTwo
United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Myself and my Husband stayed here for a romantic night before he went away in March, I was quite disappointed really at how average this hotel was, especially considering the price. We stayed on the first floor and our room could of done with a better clean and a touch up on the paint-work. We stayed for breakfast, not the best, needed to be hotter. The staff seemed helpful and the hotel was situated in a good place, right next to the brayford. I would not class this as romantic at all and defo not worth the price.

Room Tip: We wasn't happy with our first floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln. Naturally it is upsetting to read that you found the hotel only average, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our facilities and services and your feedback is key. Thank you for bringing the cleanliness of your room to my attention, I will be sure to inform our housekeeping providers.

It is great to read that you found the team here helpful and yes I agree that we are in a great location. I trust you had a great holiday and would be delighted to see you at the hotel again.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This will undoubtedly be the WORST review I ever write on a hotel. Yes, the service was at best average. there was a long queue at check-in and check-out (1 receptionist) and the Starbucks coffee shop was NEVER open in time for me to have coffee before leaving to work at 07:15am. And, yes, the only "public" rooms are a tiny sports bar with (smaller) breakfast area above. so, all in all, more of a Holiday Inn Express than a "proper" Holiday Inn. There WERE, to be fair, ample parking spaces and the room was spotless.
How-EVER...... when changing work commitments caused me to leave 1 day early I was charged a £50 excess - in spite of notifying them in good time. I have traveled internationally for 30+ years and have NEVER been charged such a fee when my plans change - and this was on what IHG described as a "Flexible" rate! ! I politely expressed my surprise (£50 is hardly worth getting angry over - but they DID know I was disappointed and unhappy and I DID say the charge was unfair) the duty manager SHRUGGED HER SHOULDERS and said it was Holiday Inn policy and to "Try reading the small print next time". Oh yes! I was speechless.
I shook my head and just paid up. What would you have done?
Then I called Holiday Inn who said I should take it up back with the hotel.
No-one has since responded to my formal telephone complaint - made 4 days ago.
So, I have shared my experience with Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Go and stay at the Hilton next door or the Holiday Inn Express round the corner!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank done_too_many_miles
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln.
It is regretful that you had to queue upon arrival and departure and I am sorry to read that our hours of operation for Starbucks were not convenient to you. I am surprised to read your comments regarding what we have done with the space available to us in our restaurant and The Sports Bar as these tend to be very popular on the whole.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and our ample on site car park which is of great benefit to our guests.

While we cannot change the experience you have had we would like you to give us an opportunity to serve you and try to put right where we have evidently failed, as such I have written to you today.

Please know that your feedback is extremely important to us, feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and will be addressed.
Rugby, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night out with friends for a birthday get together. The postcode I had wasn't quite the right one and it lead me to a dead end street, we called in at the other holiday inn (just round the corner) and got exact details how to get there, it looks like you cannot drive past the bars and restaurants when you arrive, but you can! Once we arrived the car park was surprisingly big, and very well priced actually! The lady who was on reception that night was beyond excellent! She literally couldn't have been any more informative or friendly. Telling us the exact rules for the car park, finding out why we were there and recommending places for us to eat that weren't your usual 'same chain' food. She welcomed me as a gold member, provided me with all the benefits etc. once we had arrived at our room (2 double beds booked for 4 adults), we were surprised at how spacious it was, expecting it to be very cramped. It was very modern, fresh and clean. The bathroom was quite old fashioned, with a wall mounted pipe that looked like a Hoover but was a hair dryer apparently. However it was in brilliant condition, clean and usable. This hotel obviously checks when things look old and re-grout, replace tiles etc. the room only had 2 small towels, a quick call to reception was all it took. "Go out for dinner sir, your room will be perfect when you come back, do you need anything else at all". What more can you ask? The hotel is very central to bars etc but was extremely quiet, we all slept amazingly (only just making it up and out for check out time :p ). All in all, if you want somewhere near the nightlife, clean, comfy and friendly, and great value. This is it! Shall be back!

• Stayed February 2014
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Receeptionlady2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay.

It is very pleasing to read that you found the hotel to be clean and comfy and the staff, in particular the receptionist, to be attentive, informative and friendly. We pride ourselves in being welcoming and helpful so it is pleasing to read such positive comments.

I am sorry you initially found it difficult to find us, but please rest assured the route you came along the Brayford Wharf is indeed correct, and I am pleased that you found the hotel to be excellent once you arrived.

Thank you again for taking the time to feedback to us and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Modern hotel, smart design and the breakfast is fantastic. Car parking extra is excessive, should be included in the price of the room. Bar closed early. Pleasant location on the waterfront, with a good selection of restaurants nearby.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Paulf1566

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us on your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be smart and modern, and it's great that you found the breakfast fantastic.

I am sorry you found the carparking to be excessive however with parking being at a premium in Lincoln we do feel the need to charge a subsidised rate for our secure parking.

I am pleased you found the hotel to be set in a pleasant location and we look forward to you returning in the future.

Thank you once again for you feedback.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were a family group of 17,stayed for 1 night,1st timer Holiday Inn &was pleasantly surprised,location excellent,great size bedroom & bed ! Very clean throughout & excellent breakfast,would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Karen o

Thank you for such lovely feedback, you clearly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we hope that should you and your family choose to return to the city you choose to stay with us.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.