“City visit”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Coventry, United Kingdom
“City visit”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here on Good Friday, and found the hotel very comfortable.
The room was clean and comfortable.
Breakfast on the Saturday morning was fresh and hot, and a limited choice, but also sufficient.
Reception staff are always very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Lincoln.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be comfortable and clean and the breakfast to be fresh and hot.

I am also pleased to read that you found our reception team to be always helpful.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I trust we will see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A Lincolnshire wedding brought us to Lincoln on a Friday night, as part of a two hotel weekend jaunt. I had booked a family room in the Holiday Inn, on Brayford Wharf North well in advance and got a good price, which included breakfast.
We arrived at around 8pm and our main difficulty was finding the car park. The Satnav directed us to the right road but the end that was stopped up with bollards! After a few circular trips around the city we realised that we had to drive along what seemed to be a pedestrian precinct to find our parking place. Interestingly, this short drive took us by many interesting looking eating places.
We checked in and found that process to be quick and efficient. I had to enter my car registration details on to a touch screen and pay £5 for the privilege of using the car park, which I thought was reasonable bearing in mind the nice area where the car park is located.
Our room was up on the second floor which was easily accessible by lift followed by a short walk down a very clean looking and pleasant smelling wide corridor. Our room consisted of two double beds with three tables and lamps and the usual television, kettle and a swivel chair on wheels. The bathroom was compact and functional, but it took a few seconds to work out where the handle to flush the toilet was located and also where the toilet paper dispenser was-definitely more of a design issue than one of comfort.
We decided to have a drink in the sports bar downstairs before we ventured out and I had a pint of my favourite Becks Vier lager which worked out at a very reasonable £2.95 per pint.
The following morning we came down for breakfast and ended up on a gallery above the sports bar where a "Help yourself" system was running. After we were seated we noted that the cereals and fruit juices were in one central area and the hot food and cold buffet and toaster were against the back wall. Coffee was available but this was brought round by the waitresses-personally I prefer to get up and pour my own but that's just my preference.
What really impressed me was the fact that there was a choice of bacon, in a metal container with a sliding lid. At the rear of this was a pile of back bacon and at the front was a pile of streaky. Beans and tomatoes were in a similar container and it looked like there was some kind of herb sprinkled on the tomatoes. Sausages, mushrooms and hash browns were available in small quantities and adjacent to the hot food was a good selection of cold fare. You could have eggs any way you wished on request. I asked for a fried egg which arrived very quickly after I requested it.
The breakfast experience was great, with attentive staff and good quality food. Our sleep was good, in comfortable beds and the total stay did not dent the wallet too much.
I only have one slight niggle, which is with the bar. I stood at the bar for quite a while before I was noticed and the server struggled and wasted quite a lot of lager before a full glass was produced. I did make the comment that the cellarman needs to look at the lager, to be met with the comment "That's not my job"! So that came as a surprise but the great taste of the Becks more than made up for that.
In conclusion, we thoroughly enjoyed the areas of the hotel that we used. Everything worked and we all agreed that we would not hesitate to stay here, or possibly in the future we would put Holiday Inn at the top of our list when looking for accommodation. Well done!

Room Tip: Difficult to say really but we had a room with a view over the wharf which was great. So ask for a r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn Lincoln.

I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and it is most pleasing to read that you would not hesitate in coming back to us.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

the hotel is in a great locatIon overlooking the wharf and with many chain restaurants nearby. the hotel itself is average and is in need of a refurbishment. the price of rooms is similar to the hilton next door but the quality is not in the same league. the gym room is pathetic too. my bedroom did not feel very clean and someone thought it was a good idea to place the flush in the shower...those who have stayed will know what i mean! the front desk staff were very polite and friendly so i do not want to do the, a disservice here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
thebathgriff

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to have a great location on Lincoln's stylish Brayford Wharf. It is also pleasing to read that you found our staff to be friendly and polite.

However I am disappointed to read that you found the hotel to only be average, and the placement of the toilet flush to be confusing.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I trust we will see you again in the future.
Birmingham
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is located on Brayford Wharf in the centre of Lincoln. Despite being only a five minute walk from the High Street, and having excellent views of the boats on Brayford Pool, the hotel has its own car park (payable £5 per night) at a very reasonable rate for 24hour city centre parking. There are many restaurants and eateries within a couple of minutes walk, as well as the usual coffee outlets and even a cinema, most with excellent views over the Pool. Check-in was swift and troublefree; rooms were of a sufficient size, clean, and with en-suite facilities. Executive rooms also offer an iron and board, slippers and a bath robe, and tea and coffee-making facilities. There is a hotel restaurant but, with so many eateries close by, I chose to eat out and did not regret it. Attractions such as the cathedral, castle, and Museum of Lincolnshire Life are all within walking distance (though be warned that the climb up to the cathedral is via Steep Hill, which is very appropriately named and will definitely need a pause for breath even for the fittest!). A lovely city to visit, and an ideal location if you stay here at this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an Executive Room with a view over Brayford Pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on the Holiday Inn Lincoln.

It is lovely to read such postive comments about your stay and I am sure that you enjoyed looking in the ideally located boutique shops on steep hill to catch your breath!!! I trust you will join us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Firstly the staff were all very helpful and our room clean and tidy. Finding the hotel car park was quite a mission as the sign was VERY badly damaged and does not give a very good impression. There's a lack of any drawer space so had to leave most of our clothes in the case which is not ideal when you are staying for 4 days. We only had one dressing gown between the two of us.The tap in the basin needs replacing as you could hardly turn it on. We had to turn off the air conditioning as it was very loud and we could not leave the window open at night because of the noise from the street. On our second day we came back and found our room had not been made up, it was after 5pm. The view of the Wharf was lovely though and the hotel is very central.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln.

It is great to read that you found the staff friendly although I am sorry that our mini totem sign is not in working order, unfortunately a lorry drove into it and whilst we await a replacement the eyesore that is left is unavoidable.

Naturally I am sorry to read that the lack of drawer space was an issue along with the bathroom tap, which I will be sure to look into. I can assure you that had you mentioned that your room had not been serviced a member of staff would have done this for you, as with the missing bathrobe. I will be sure to discuss these issues with our housekeeping partners to ensure no repetition.

I trust that our great location and friendly, helpful team will bring you back to the hotel.
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Lovely location.
Friendly staff.
very nice breakfast.

No drawers for storage in the room, despite loads of space under the dressing table.
Hairdryer - looked like something from a B movie job lot. Very noisy. as well.
bath very slippery when shower is being used, should have a rubber mat.

However, the management need to look at some things. The main sign outside needs replacing.The entry and exit to the car park has arrows on the road making you change 'lanes' when driving in, I suspect that was done for when there was a barrier to get out.

1st night, just about to get into bed and noticed some dried blood on the quilt cover. Contacted reception at approx 00.45. The night manager was very apologetic and said it would be sorted in 10 mins. Wrong, 25 minutes later, I went to see what the hold-up was. They didn't have the right combination for the housekeeping store. 10mins later, another very apologetic person turned up and changed the cover. He also promised us a discount for the inconvenience!

Saturday night everything was fine until we were woken at 04.50 by grown men from a stag party running up and down the corridor. Reception were very good and reacted very quickly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 11 June 2014

It is regretful that you had cause to comment regarding the lack of drawer space and old bathroom hair dryers, we do provide an additional, modern hair dryer in the unit under the dressing table. Thank you for bringing the slippery shower to my attention, I shall have this looked into immediately as the safety of our guests is of the upmost importance.

The minim totem sign outside the hotel was unfortunately driven into by a lorry just last week and I can assure you that a replacement is on order, naturally we have made the current sign safe however in the meantime the eyesore which is left is unavoidable. We are due to have the car park road markings re-done very soon and I will consider your comments regarding the arrows.

I am truly sorry about the stain on the quilt cover, I will be sure to raise this with our housekeeping partners to ensure no repetition.

It is very pleasing to read that the team replaced the bedding for you as soon as they possibly could and discounted your stay for this inconvenience, as well as ensuring the noise from neighbouring guests was stopped quickly. Above all we pride ourselves on delivering great customer service and I do hope that all team members who you came into contact with displayed this and trust that this will mean when you next visit Lincoln you will be sure to contact us.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Thanks to other reviewers I had a very good idea of how to find the hotel but still managed to drive straight past the car park entrance. I was only going at walking pace but the hotel sign with one of the most recognisable hotel logos on the planet was so damaged you could not make it out. It looks like something has driven into it but whatever happened was not recent judging on the amount of rust on what remains of the structure.
The car park itself was fine apart from the fact you have arrows on the road indicating you have to drive on the right. It just seemed an accident waiting to happen to me, it makes no sense.
The reception was just plain weird, it must be quite disheartening to work there. It is a much smaller check in desk than usual and it can get a little overcrowded. Its not helped by the fact that there is no seating area in the lobby. I cannot recall ever going to a hotel where you have nowhere to sit while awaiting friends, taxi etc. There is a desk with 2 chairs but that is occupied and run by Hertz car rental. There is a bar adjacent but that has so many tv's (including mini ones on back of beer pumps!) it is not a restful place to sit and relax. There is also a starbucks which makes no sense to me at all, a few steps outside the hotel are numerous coffee shops. I think the space would be better utilised by having a proper lobby, I suspect thats what it originally was anyway. Compared with the Hilton reception next door it just looks an eyesore.
The bar itself is unlike any hotel bar I have been into before. We had been out for the day and when we got back decided to have a drink but we couldn't get in due to number of people in there. It was bedlam, hen parties, birthday parties or something similar and very very loud.. Just like you get in any city centre on a Saturday night nowadays I suppose. Just not usually happening in your hotel!
It just seemed to us that the bar and starbucks along with Hertz were not part of the hotel and were run completely independently of it. It is not a welcoming environment.
Check in itself could do with improving. We were not asked if we needed a wake up call or a newspaper in the morning nor offered any assistance with our luggage.
The room was ok but tired and the bathrooms in particular need refurbishing. The safe in our room was also defective and although I reported it immediately I was told that nothing could be done until the next day. To be fair we were offered the use of the hotel safe but decided to keep our valuables with us for that one night. On raising the subject the next day we were offered the keys to another room because they would not be able to fix the safe that day either. It was a little annoying and would have been much better if we had been offered that option the day before. Packing, moving and unpacking again is not ideal when you are somewhere new and want to get out and explore as much as possible in the time available. There was no offer of help to move either.
The next room was of a similar standard to the previous one. However the bedside phone did not work in this one. I mentioned it at reception but it was still defective when we checked out a couple of days later.
The bar itself earlier in the day is fine although I detest tv's in bars. The bar staff were both friendly and efficient.
Breakfast was fine and again the waitresses were friendly and efficient. The restaurant is immediately above the bar and accesed by a staircase in the middle of the bar itself. There did not seem to be any access from floor one inside the hotel and you had to go down to ground level and then back up which seemed a bit strange. There is a lift in the corner of the bar for the less able.
The location is great and Lincoln itself is a beautiful city with plenty to see. Do make the effort to visit the museum of Lincolnshire living its a gem of a place and a fascinating window on a world gone forever.
I hope to return to Lincoln within the year and I may even stay in the same hotel so it obviously wasnt all bad. It just needs a bit more get up and go and for heavens sake fix or remove that sign!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel overlook Brayford pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisSG
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln. As you state our Holiday Inn mini totem sign has been driven into, only last week and the replacement is on order, naturally we have made the sign safe until such time although the eyesore that is left is unfortunately unavoidable. The road markings are planned to be re-painted this month and we will consider re-allocating the arrows as naturally we do not wish to confuse or cause accidental harm.

I appreciate your feedback on our reception area, although small we try our very best to work with what we have, the building is over 20 years old and we currently have no plans to expand although the team here provide a very warm welcome and The Sports bar and outside terrace of Starbucks provide ample space to relax or enjoy the waterfront setting. The Sports bar can get busy from time to time as it is very popular with guests and locals alike, as you can imagine large sporting events attract many followers and we are proud of the space and the many screens which are available, ensuring that from any area viewing is not restricted. The Sports Bar and Starbucks are very much a part of the hotel and well-liked by many of our guests. Hertz also adds value and is utilised regularly, particularly by our regulars.

I take on board your comments regarding check in and although I am surprised at your comment regarding our bedroom product as these were refurbished only two years ago, the bathrooms I agree require attention and we are hoping for a refurbishment soon. Thank you for bringing the issue with your in-room safe to our attention, please be rest assured should we have been able to fix this we would certainly have done so, although I am pleased that the team offered alternatives. I realise that not having a bedside phone may have been inconvenient although I do hope that this did not detract from the rest of your stay.

It is very pleasing to read that you found the bar and breakfast team friendly and efficient and I shall be sure to share these comments with them. I agree that our location is ideal, we are very central for the many attractions, dining options, shopping areas and historical features that Lincoln has to offer and I do hope that other readers follow your tip regarding the museum of Lincolnshire Life as I agree it is great!

I trust we will see you again on your next visit to the city and I am sure that the sign will be back to how it was little over a week ago!