“Lincoln Cathedral visit”

Holiday Inn Lincoln
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 1 September 2014

On our tour of Cathedrals Lincoln was on the must see list. My wife found the place on trip advisor and booked us in for one night. The first issue we encountered was just getting there as the postcode provided had not been updated on the website which lead us to a dead end at the wrong end of the wharf where the hotel is situated.We were not alone in coming into the wharf the wro g way as another couple did just the same.Once we eventually got the correct address from hotel staff we were told their web site hadn't been updated. The staff at reception including a trainee were helpful and booking in was quite painless. Our room overlooked the wharf and unusually we were given two king size beds in a more than adequate room. Breakfast was excellent and there was no need to queue. The hotel is a good base from which to access the town and there is no shortage of places to eat and drink. Its a fair walk to Lincoln Cathedral and castle that are situated on top of a steep hill. You need to be fairly fit not to struggle up the last part of this hill.We managed it in the rain on a bank holiday Monday .

Room Tip: Opt for a wharfside view
1  Thank LondonDrac
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Lincoln, as you have mentioned we are ideally located for visiting the city and particularly Lincoln's iconic cathedral, which personally I think is the finest example in the country - perhaps a little bias though!!

I am pleased that you also found the hotel's facilities to be excellent.

The postcode is accurate on the website, however it does straddle a set of bollards, it does however mention that you should enter Lucy Tower Street in order to access the wharf for the correct end, I trust this will clear things up should you choose to visit us and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July with friends , we had a great time as the hotel is very clean and convenient for all the local sites in Lincoln it is well maintained and modern and we would not hesitate in booking again everything was there for you the rooms were comfortable as were the beds . The hotel is situated on Brayford Wharf where there are bars and restaurants close by and all that Lincoln as to offer . I would recommend this hotel to anyone .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JOHNNY1951
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to offer feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Lincoln.

I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am thrilled that you would recommended us. I trust, should you visit Lincoln again, you will choose to stay with us once more and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

It was our first time ever in Lincoln and what a surprise when we found the hotel. It's situated right on the waterfront of the wharf and it is simply heavenly.
The hotel itself is a Holiday Inn and like all Holiday Inns it is a specific standard, well maintained, clean and comfortable with an excellent choice of pillows (I love a good firm one myself). Wi-fi was free but I'm not sure if that is because I'm an IHG club member. Good sized secure car park to the rear of the property and a vast array of restaurants right along the wharf.

The views from this hotel are just stunning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the front overlooking the wharf
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Lincoln. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the hotel to be well maintained and cleaned. Our location is certainly an incredible one right in the heart of Lincoln.

I trust, after your first visit to the city, you will choose to visit again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed Thursday-Saturday for family event. Position is very good as directly on wharf with many adjacent eateries and bars and a better view than Hilton Doubletree next door. Easy access to main modern shopping centre which seamlessly blends into fabulous old Lincoln. Our booking was made a week earlier and at that time was better value than competition. It included breakfast; and parking at the rear of the hotel for £5 a night (Doubletree £10 a night). The hotel is accessed just off the main road and you then follow the wharf front (looks pedestrianised but access allowed). You could go room only as Harvester is almost next door and does all you can eat breakfast for £4.99, but you would have to check the opening time if you want early breakfasts. We had inside rooms. I am sure rooms with views of the wharf are lovely but you can also see it from the hotel restaurant and sports bar. Breakfast was a good selection of quality products. Scambled eggs available and other options to order. All staff in reception, restaurant, bar and coffee shop were wonderfully friendly efficient and helpful. The room was spacious, large bed which we found comfortable. Sufficient hanging space but no drawers. Bathroom had fitted soaps/shampoo/shower get and two hairdryers, one in bathroom and one in the cupboard. My only negative would be that as all chain hotels, there was a little black mold on the grouting, which is a pet hate and I usually ask to change rooms; I don't have it in my house and don't expect to pay for it, and the bath is very narrow, or perhaps I'm larger than I like to admit.

Room Tip: My party stayed in 106,112 & 114. It looks as though all even numbers do not have a waterfront...
1  Thank JRD10
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

It is most pleasing to read that you found your stay to be a pleasant one, and I am pleased to read that all staff that you encountered were friendly and efficient. I am also pleased to read that you found the breakfast to be of a high quality and the bedroom to be spacious and well appointed.

I apologise that you found black spots in the bathroom grouting and will ensure that this is looked into.

I trust that should you have a need to visit Lincoln again you will stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions, both on business and with my family. My recent stay was the first time since a rather complex food allergy was diagnosed. As a result of the way this was handled, I will not be staying at this hotel again, given the choice.

The F&B Manager claimed that they can deal with food allergies using food on their menu, as their franchise policy does not allow them to store guests' own food, or to prepare guests' own food. However, as he had not heard of, or encountered, my particular allergy, this sweeping statement clearly was nonsense. How can you KNOW you can deal with an allergy when you have never heard of the allergy?

As a Platinum Member of the IHG Rewards scheme, I use Holiday Inns a lot. I came to this hotel having just stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hull Marina, where they handled my allergy without a problem, storing and cooking the food I provided. As Lincoln is a different franchisee, it seems a different policy applies. As a guest, I have no way of knowing this before arrival.

I can't risk not being able to eat given the number of nights I stay in hotels. Consequently, I will not use this hotel again, unless there is no other option.

Room Tip: Try the Doubletree next door.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the to offer feedback on your recent stay with us.

As a platinum member of the IHG Rewards Scheme we recognise that you offer great loyalty to the brand and it is regrettable to read that on this occasion you feel that you have been let down.

However as we stated at the time, due to food safety regulations, and the inability to trace the storage and preparation of the food, we are not able to store or cook guest's raw food. As also stated at the time we are able to prepare food to meet specific dietary requirements with advanced notice of the specific ingredients that need to be omitted. Most of our food is prepared freshly on site so, despite that fact on this occasion our staff had not encountered this particular allergy before, we like many other restaurants in the area could have prepared a fresh dish for you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights, excellent position reasonably close to the Castle and Cathedral. The room and bathroom was very clean and well maintained. Bed was average as far as comfort goes. Front desk staff very efficient and helpful. Free wifi but signal not always the strongest. Close to a good selection of restaurants

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel's location to be excellent and the rooms to be clean and well maintained. I am also pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and efficient.

I trust that should you wish to visit Lincoln again you will choose to stay with us once more and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for 1 night as part of a coach tour. Location could not be faulted and view over river lovely.Situated just minutes from town centre. Check in quite reasonable, and quick, given the numbers arriving, and we were extremely pleased with our allocation of a standard room overlooking the marina area. 2 double beds, good size TV, sufficient hanging space and hangars but no drawer facilities, even though there appeared space for some. Bathroom had well powered shower over bath. Usual towels but no flannels. Fixed cream/gel dispensers. Our bath had a persistent drip but did not cause us any problem. No noise from corridors or surrounding rooms. Good quality sleep. Plenty of pillows. Excellent air con unit. Internet is only free if part of IHG the host hotel group - membership to this is free once signed up.

Our deal included set menu for dinner and breakfast. Bar and restaurant area adjoining the hotel ok, seats comfortable enough - part of a sports bar. Food was very disappointing - my Chicken Caesar Salad was made up of extremely hard chunks of chicken, and the the Chicken Fillet I had for main was well overcooked and dry - as was the second one I was offered. The coffee tasted like it had been left warming for hours as very strong. However the young staff were very pleasant and seemed happy to try and accommodate various requests. What always surprises me is people who won't speak up - 2 others near us also commented on how unpleasant the chicken was, but when asked if everything was ok said fine. If folk wont speak up the standard will never improve. Breakfast next morning had a good selection of cereals, pastries and choice of hot items. The scrambled eggs were dry and overcooked and the sausage a bit hard going. Beans and toast were very good as was the pain au chocolat

As part of a set rate overall I would say we had a good deal - the location more than made up for the food disappointment. There is a Harvester next door and a Lloyds part of wetherspoons down the wharf and many other eating options on hand.

No one was on reception to see us out, and take in door cards etc and we therefore were unable to report the ever dripping tap. If management read this its room 217.

Room Tip: Request a front facing room, over the river and marina area, as others said they overlooked the car...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to deliver comprehensive feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Lincoln. It is great to read that you enjoyed the view overlooking the Brayford Wharf and that accommodation appears to have everything you needed to a great stay. Thank you for bringing the dripping tap to my attention, I shall be sure to have this looked in to.

Naturally it is disappointing to read that you were not happy with our dinner offering and some parts of breakfast, I agree that it is only with feedback such as yours that we can improve our facilities and services. Please know that had you requested alternatives these would have been provided to you.

I trust given another opportunity to serve you we would not let you down.