“Girls nite out”

Admiral Guest House
Ranked #29 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed here a couple of weekends ago. A family room for us 3 girls was £65 . Which we thought was average. We didn't get up for breakfast as we had a late nite. There was no hurry for us to vacate our room iether. We also left our car in the car park all day whilst we went of to look at the city. What a lovely place with lovely people what mire could you want.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Booked a room by telephone..........
Arived at designated time to a smell of stale cooking fat. The owner was not overly friendly and gave us a bunch of keys to access our room and a shower room/toilet outside of our room and a very short walk along the passage. The room was very strange....let me explain........The wallpaper reminded mr of my grannies house in the late 1970s 'Peach and floral' no sign of anything to do with the SEA ! The bed was a small double and had seen better days and was not comfortable in any way. There was a light fitting above the bed with 3 x bulb holders,only one of which had a bulb in it,this was also a fan...we dare not try to turn this on as the pull cords were wound round the fitting. The bed linen was clean .....BUT one of the 2 small towels provided had brown marks on it when I unfolded it 'ugh!!' Good job I had packed my own large bath towels (Bonus) The room was heated to a very uncomfotrably high temperature and we needed to try to sleep with the window open. This was not good as the noise from passers by was at an all time high !
The Bathroom was large and roomy,but what let it down was again attention to detail...No glass for use when cleaning teeth......no light over shower stained and sad looking carpet and outdated basin and shower.
The only good part of our stay was breakfast it was hot and was tasty although a little greasy. I feel that the owners should pay more attention to detail...especially with regards to towels and carpets etc. You may say that at £50 for a night we are being picky (I don't think so!) the reputation of an establishment like this is worth building on....you could make this a special place to stay with a little bit of attention to detail.
And a theme that would make you feel that you were in an Admirals residence.
Another pluss point is the car park.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2010

stay at the admiral .on arrival was greeted to clutter. welcomed by a strange man and showed to our room. well what can i say. wood cladding and peeling wallpaper. a musky smell in the bathroom and a toilet that only flushed when it felt like it. plus side nice breakfast and only a few minutes walk into town
things didnt get better that night we were woken to the room above having rampent sex!! very thin ceiling and noisey bed!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2008

4 of us have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Admiral and I have to say we would not go back.
On arrival the owner "greeted us" with a miserable face produced 2 keys and told us which rooms we had been given. The property seemed very old and there were air fresheners plugged in everywhere, in fact there were so many it made me cough. The rooms were basic and smelled "fusty", although the beds were clean. The bathroom was also clean, but there was something about the whole place that made you feel as though it all needed a good scrub. I have never seen so many ornaments and knick knacks as there were in the dining room and most of them needed a good clean. I have to say the breakfast was good, but again it was served by the owner who seemed about as happy as "someone who had lost a pound and found a penny"
When we booked over the phone we gave credit card details and thought that we would receive the bill after Christmas, but the owner had different ideas. As we were about to leave she asked if we were going to pay ? I told her that she had our credit card details, but apparently her machine had broken and she wanted cash ! We said we didn't have the cash on us, that was the reason we had used card. She then had the cheek to actually tell us where the nearest bank was. I have to say I was not impressed, I think at least we should have been told when we arrived so that we could have made alternative arrangements. So we had to go into town to the cash point in order to pay our bill. I think this place is very overpriced and I will definitely not be going back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I booked here because it was close to the City centre and a good price. Thirty pounds a night and that included a good breakfast. TV, plenty of hot water and free internet Wi-fi. It's only 15 minutes walk form here to the city centre, and I'm disabled so I walk slowly, (10 minutes for anyone else). It's clean, and they don't mind if you stay in your room all day, they don't kick you out into the street after breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank oneleggedpom
Reviewed 24 May 2008

We stayed at the Admiral guest house while visiting family in Lincoln. We had a lovely double room with an en suite shower. The full english was delicious and hot, but they also offered cereals, fruit and yogurts for those wanting a lighter breakfast. There was a Tv in the dining room so we could see what was going on in the world and also get the weather report, which helped us plan our day. In all it was like a home from home the owners were very friendly and it was good value for money. The Admiral was in an ideal location to walk to the brayford pool area and the main shopping part of lincoln. Thank you for a very pleasant stay

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fluffy85
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We have recently returned from a weekend stay at the Admiral Guest house in Lincoln, we choose it based on the reviews on trip advisor –unfortunately we did not have the same opinion as most other people who have reviewed it!

How this place gets ranked no 2 in Lincoln is quite beyond us!

We were shown to a very pokey little room that was really far too small to accommodate a double bed, but it had one squashed in. all the same.

The “tasteful décor” was probably all the rage about 20 years ago & that was pushing it – not at all chintzy as we had expected, just very bland & mismatched & not at all “homely”.

The bathroom was freezing - we made the mistake of shutting the door to it to give us more room in the bedroom (not realizing there was no heat in the bathroom) so it was like an ice box when we wanted to shower –we left the bathroom door open after that which was a bit of a pain but at least made it a bit warmer.

It was all very clean though, so at least that was a plus.

Breakfast was good, but not very flexible – I asked for scrambled eggs instead of fried & was told I could only have them served on toast & not with a cooked breakfast, so they don’t really put themselves out for you.

During breakfast the TV was on the whole time –personally I do not want to watch “match of the day” while eating my breakfast on a Sunday morning- I know some will think of this as a plus but we did not!
The dining room was full of clutter & did not find it at all attractive.

We went to “The old bakery” for dinner one night & wished that we had stayed there instead as it was lovely - far superior to the Admiral & was more or less the same cost, it was in a far better location & the hosts were much friendlier too.

The old bakery is listed on here under “B&B in Lincoln” in a separate section, & unfortunately we didn’t find this until after we had booked the Admiral – a big mistake!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lindi