“a week spent at the Tennyson”
Review of Tennyson

Tennyson
Ranked #25 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Lincoln
Reviewed 17 August 2012

very well located just 10 mins walk to the city centre .
the b&b has its own parking besides the building , , the room was clean and the owner Paul and its girfriend very kind ... I would definitley stay again there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Once again my son is off to Afghanistan and I have driven up from my home in France to see him before he flies out and to let him know first hand how much I love him ,and to keep your head down. I went online and found the travellers dream. A small hotel/guest house that really looks after you. It is called the Tennyson and has just[two weeks] been taken over by a young couple. I booked in for three nights, After a long drive up from home I was met at the door by the owner and invited in with a wonderful cup of tea and shown my room.After a sound nights sleep and a refreshing shower I went down to a breakfast that was fantastic.My three days went too fast,but my stay at the Tennyson was absolutely great. Next time I am back in Lincoln I will be staying at the Tennyson as it is the perfect Home from Home. Alan Normandy. France

Room Tip: My room was great as I am sure all the others are. If you stay more than a week you will put on ooun...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Clean and friendly, and such a lovely breakfast, nothing was too much trouble for the owners.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Tennyson

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

So many places are easily forgettable because they are just like all the others. I find that the memorable ones (not the bad ones) stand out because of small but different features. The Tennyson was one of these: the home-made biscuits, renewed every day, clean towels every day, teddy bear on the bed (!), breakfast menu in 13 different languages.
The single room was spacious enough, though the shower room was tiny. It was on the ground floor and traffic noise went through the night ( no great Problem for heavy sleepers like me, but worth knOwing if you're not). Very comfy, clean bed.
Breakfast varied and well cooked every day-will give you any version of a cooked breakfast within reason.
Good value for money if you stay more than 2 nights cos 3rd night is free. Free wifi access.
20 mins walk from town centre. Places to eat of varying style and quality.
Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Yorkshireman27
Reviewed 20 March 2012

lovely place situated just outside the city outskirts yet a nice walk into town or short bus ride from round the corner rooms are nice and cosy and the breakfasts are superb! Nice choice of different language menus..proprietors were very helpful and couldnt do enough..took advantage of the 3 for 2 room rate special and am glad i did..would definitely stay here again..Lincolns pubs are well worth a visit but be warned...the hill is not for the faint hearted but its a beautiful city and well worth visiting and a lovely place to stay.excellent overall

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I recently stayed at this B+B and was made to feel welcome by both Jeff and his wife. The accomodation was clean and spacious and a good location for walking into Lincoln. Breakfast generous and cooked to order. Would recommend a stay especially if you are in Lincoln for 3 days and avail yourself of the 3 days for the price of 2 offer - good value for money.

Room Tip: Mr and Mrs Brimbles room is quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This hotel is situated right by a very busy main road so make sure your room is not facing the front or you may not get much sleep. As a lone female I was made to feel uncomfortable by the male owner. Apparently my arrival at 3pm (check in is 4pm, not stated on my booking information) was wholly inconvenient and boy did they make that crystal clear. The female owner avoided any eye contact and did not speak to me at all despite me sitting alone at breakfast, no attempt was made to ask how I was or if I needed anything. I was making a difficult trip to see an elderly relative and they managed to make my overnight stay the worst part of the whole thing.
Perhaps they could learn some people skills if they want to offer a service in the leisure industry or if not change profession.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the house
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank debstar00
TheTennyson, Owner at Tennyson, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

All booking confirmations whether by letter, e-mail or internet clearly state check in is after 4 pm unless alternative arrangements are made. This is because like all owner operated B&Bs, rooms are serviced in the morning and grocery shopping, medical appointments, etc take place in the afternoon. This is why, when the reviewer telephoned us whilst we were shopping we were surprised. However, we immediately curtailed our shopping trip and returned to give her access to the premises only to be greeted by a hot and very grumpy guest who had walked from the railway station with luggage. An effort was made to explain that had we been aware of her plans we would have been on the premises to meet her, but to no avail.

The reviewer had been in contact with us on 3 previous occasions with various requests and demands. On each occasion she had been asked what time she expected to be with us and she had been most vague just stating that she was visiting relatives. She had also been advised that a senior citizen, on a hot summer day, with luggage, should take a taxi.

She was not ignored by my wife at breakfast. My wife with a further 12 breakfasts to provide was somewhat engaged.

We have many guests travelling alone and were I to follow her advice and not respect their privacy I would be considered, at best, condescending & patronising and at worst intrusive & offensive.