“Very Good but could be better”

Jews House Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 541 Restaurants in Lincoln
Price range: US$35 - US$71
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Housed in one of the oldest buildings in the beautiful and historic city of Lincoln, with food from award winning Chef Gavin Aitkenhead and exceptional service from Samantha Tomkins and her team, The Jews House Restaurant offers the finest food served by the friendliest staff in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Here at the Jews’ House our aim is quite simple: To give you an experience you remember for its remarkable flavours and polished, attentive service. Gavin’s food, Samantha’s service – the Jews House
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Been before. Great service and starters were beautiful. Lamb main course was very rare and we like rare. Quiet restaurant - surprising given Lincs Show was on. Not wow-ed as I have been before.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Excellent attention to detail, the staff were smart and efficient.
The food was delicious, however, the cost of the starter and main course was expensive for what I received; I left feeling hungry!

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Visited for our Wedding Anniversary and decided on the Taster Menu, partly to eliminate the need to choose dishes!

It did not disappoint and it was a very pleasant experience.

The wine recommendations were also successful and not cynical wallet emptiers by any stretch.

The service was attentive and courteous without being intrusive or patronising - well done!

Overall a great evening spent enjoying some delicious dishes.

Would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

Reviewed 13 June 2018

My wife and I dined in Jews House during a recent trip to Lincoln.

I spoke with one of the owners beforehand about my dietary requirements with the tasting menu – Pescetarian – and was told no problem, although this could be more challenging at weekends I understand.

We were given a decent table in the window of what we assumed was the primary dining room. Probably half a dozen tables occupied throughout the evening. We came in at 7.30pm and were the last to leave.

The up to date menus are on the website so I won’t repeat them here. Suffice to say that most dishes were really very good, and my dietary requirements were handled very well indeed.

Probably some technical lapses, particularly the gin cured trout – chunks of fish sitting in a pool of gin – a far cry from a similarly named dish we ate at Winteringham Fields a couple of nights later. But this was the exception as some, particularly the pork dish were memorable.

The service was undertaken by one of the proprietors and one other quite young person. Whilst they were very efficient and knowledgeable, I feel that the whole atmosphere was a little cold and stilted. The dining area, and those looking after it could do with a little chilling out (and this is coming from a couple of near 60 year olds !!).

The only real niggle was that as we were the last to depart – before 10pm ! – the proprietor was nowhere to be seen and therefore there was no goodnight/thank you for coming/bonhomie given to us on our departure. A bit sad methinks.

Shame about the few shortcomings , because we admire and applaud what this couple are achieving and would certainly visit again.

2  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Our usual bolt for a Saturday with the kids is Harvey Nichs in Leeds - but Lincoln is so pretty and we wanted a trot around so we struck out to Lincoln.
Booking was easy (on the morning) and they took us in early as we were peckish.
2 courses were just over £20, and were fresh, as described, and very tasty.
The service was impeccable, and it felt like fine dining at the price of a fancy cafe.
I had the cheese on toast with guinea fowl, followed by lamb (tiny bit too salty) - we were in and out in less than an hour - which was great to make the most of our day.
Very nice - and would go again.