“617 Squadron hanger tour”

Royal Air Force Scampton Museum
Ranked #15 of 78 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The RAF Scampton Heritage Centre is housed inside the Annexe offices of the former 617 Sqn Hangar which is an English Heritage Grade II listed building. After a period of extensive renovation work carried out by volunteers, the Heritage Centre re-opened in June 2012. There is now the opportunity to see Wg Cdr Guy Gibsons office as it would have looked like in 1943. The Heritage Centre is open to the public by appointment only. To arrange a visit, please send an email, or use the contact us page on our website. We require a minimum of 14 days notice to complete security screening. We can accommodate groups large or small, including school trips.
Havant, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“617 Squadron hanger tour”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Booked a tour here, whilst up this way, and we were not disappointed in anyway. The 2 gentleman who took us round were both very passionate about the whole base. The highlight for me was the hanger tour of the red arrows, apparently this is not always done and we just happened to be lucky. And were we lucky, up close and personal with the red arrows. That aside the tour of the 617 hanger was very interesting, well laid out and extremely informative. The only down side was the displays in the actual hanger. Needs some work on this bit. This is a must see for anyone interested in bomber command.

5 Thank Barry P

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A really informative and interesting commentary from Mervyn throughout the time touring the base and the heritage centre. A free event, but must boogk prior to visiting, and well worth a donation to keep the experience open and available. Everything you need to know about the Dambusters, Guy Gibson and his dog.

3 Thank 193DaveC353
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Help”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My great granddad buried this dog when he was killed as he looked after guy gibson. I was wkndering if you can visit where he is buried

5 Thank Emmamarrin3003
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“It makes you proud!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I took some American friends and they were so interested in RAF Scampton. We were guided by Tom and his wife who were so welcoming to the group and very knowledgeable. All the group I was with ended up friends - also giving Tom and his wife a hug! Tom made the Dambusters experience come alive! He even pointed out to my friends that the Americans were involved too! It is so worth a visit! I won't give any details but you MUST go or you will be missing something very very special! It doesn't cost a penny but leaves you with so much! I will return with others.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Grumpyoldsoandso
Holyhead, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A trip down memory lane”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Well what can I say, the curator and his colleague who showed myself and my wife round where very knowledgeable, friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The museum is brilliant, Mervyn goes into a lot of detail about how many Sqn's have been at Scampton, it's history, and it's role throughout the Station's history. Anyone with an interest in the history of Scampton or Lincolnshire as a Bomber County would find this interesting.

Visited May 2014