“Utter Crap.”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Utter Crap.”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

If you are happy with being bellowed at by miserable, plastic-police jobsworths in pointless hi-vis jackets, ring-fenced like cattle, ripped-off like the sheep they believe us to be, and treated as a total inconvenience, then you will love it. Otherwise just steer clear, and ignore the hype which is evidently all lies. It is utter crap. I would rather scrape my eyeballs out with a rusty fork, than return to this shambles ever again. Other than that, it's okay.

<*)))))><

12 Thank CoastalRider1975

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Bad bad bad ”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Sadly this is a very commercialised event and has no christmas feel to it. It's cheap food stalls, and a great deal of imported chinese tat. There is now a charge for entering the Bishop Palace, which is advertised as “mediaeval market” all inclusive with the well known mediaeval plastic dinosaurs... Save yourself the disappointment, lincoln is worth the visit but not on that week end!

3 Thank delphine s
Corby, United Kingdom
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I was expecting this to be the start of the Christmas season for us, unfortunately I have to tell you we were both pretty disappointed by this trip. Wherever you go and wherever you look Lincoln Christmas market is supposed to be one of the very best Christmas markets in the UK. I have very high expectations and unfortunately the market did not deliver to the standards I was expecting.
If you go to this market you will have to be prepared to face massive crowds which is somewhat expected when the event is only on for 4 days, however the sea of people that we have encountered in Lincoln was a bit too much for my taste, people pushing you along the way without a way to stop or breathe and all this at midday.
If you go to Lincoln you will have to consider climbing up a massive hill in order to get to the markets location. I haven’t seen this shown anywhere and I found it somewhat tiresome. So as natural I was expecting something amazing after climbing up the hill and unfortunately I wasn’t impressed. There was a one way system in place going up the hill and down. You would think this is really good and it gives structure to the event. The only think you have not taken into consideration is that this whole market is not in one place but scattered over several locations that go in a circle, so once you’re in you’re unable to turn around if you have been disappointed with what you’ve seen or if you’re tired. This is highly impractical.
The Christmas atmosphere was not there, cheap vine smell, very few authentic stall and plenty of stall selling crap cheapy products that you can buy in any shop ( magnetic healing is definitely not authentic Christmassy).
Making the most of what was available we did manage to find a German couple who sold cakes and coffee, a son and dad who sold handmade pedants and key rings and a few artists who made gifts out of wood.
This was definitely not my idea of a perfect and authentic Christmas Market and I doubt we will return.

4 Thank Worldbackpackrrr
Kent, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lincoln Christmas Market”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having been to bath Market last year this was such a disappointment and being in a sheet chair and the cobbles where a problem.
Even though my daughter is is at uni there we will mot repeat our trip to visit her and the Market at the same time.
Found a lot or stalls where tat and it was very laid out on a long walk for my husband pushing me also there was no where to sit and enjoy a drink which would have been nice
SORRY LINCOLN WE WILL NOT COME AGAIN ALSO NOT RECOMEND TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY

3 Thank DeborahbB631
Grantham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The worst 'Christmas' market I've ever had the misfortune to visit.”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had last visited about twelve years ago and was hoping for an improvement this time so I could actually get near the stalls to see the tat that was on offer. But no, this time was worse. No atmosphere, no Christmas music, no street entertainment just a huge gang of overzealous security apes dressed in high viz jackets from some company called Octavia who were shouting at us to 'keep on the left' . We inadvertently went past the way into the market thinking we could U turn and just nip round the corner into the 'food / slop' tent only to have four, yes four of these idiots come towards us menacingly and bar our way.

At this point I thought I was living in some kind of police state (North Korea, old East Germany etc) not our so called 'free' country. It started to feel claustraphobic and unsafe at this point. We lost total interest at that moment and just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Considering that LIncoln / Lincolnshire probably has the highest density of RAF / ex RAF people in the UK and whom most have probably served in Germany at some point (and know what a proper Christmas market should be like) .. you let them and me down getting us there on false pretences.

Improvement notice to Lincoln city council / market organisers: I suggest some of you very quickly take the time to visit the real markets in Munich, Cologne, Vienna, Bruges etc Talk to the organisers and learn from them. Take good note of the pricing, the layout, the organisation and ATMOSPHERE.!.... are you taking note??? ... knock, knock !

5 Thank DUTCHMARTIN