“Fabulous Food”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2019

We were staying at the hotel so chose to eat in the restaurant. Myself & my partner chose the Monkfish Chana dish which was absolutely delicious - really tasty. We had 2 desserts both of which were superb, especially the chocolate torte with popcorn - words cannot describe it!

Date of visit: October 2019
DavidBeech18, Front Office Manager at Reform Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2019

Dear Julie M

Thank you for your review of the restaurant. I am glad to read you have enjoyed your stay with us, especially in the restaurant! If you stay with us again and would like to dine be sure to mention this at the point of booking and we will be able to book you on a residents deal.

Write a reviewReviews (486)

Reviewed 6 October 2019

Beautiful food. The midweek 2 or 3 course set menu ( all dishes selected from the superb a la carte) which includes a bottle of excellent wine should have people beating a path to the door, it’s such good value.

Date of visit: October 2019
DavidBeech18, Front Office Manager at Reform Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2019

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read you have enjoyed you dining experience with us.

Reviewed 6 October 2019

I took my parents for a Saturday night treat and we were all very happy with the whole experience. We were greeted by very friendly staff who took us to our table. The dinning room is very cosy and beautifully decorated. The menu is amazing, with plenty of options for all palates. The waitress was spot on from start to finish, always very polite and charming, attentive but without being intrusive. We went for lamb and salmon as starters, followed by duck breast, beef Wellington and monkfish. All the dishes are very clever and tasted incredible, and were beautifully presented. The price is more than reasonable for the high quality of food you get, we will definitely come back soon!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I do hope you will come again. For all the latest offers and menus please visit the website

Reviewed 28 September 2019

You would think that as guests of the hotel we would have been looked after by the staff, but from the moment that we tried to walk into the restaurant all we were met with was platitudes and lies. Your table will be five minutes was the opening gambit, have a seat in the bar.

Half an hour later I went back to the restaurant and tackled the staff, whereupon I was informed that we could be seated immediately. However they had no menus as they were all out at present. I asked the woman in charge to be straight with me as I felt it was apparent that they were understaffed and struggling. Your food will be fifteen minutes from time of order Iwas assured.

Our drinks order was taken and some fifteen minutes later we still had no drinks and our order had not been taken.We also noticed that people who had been sat in the bar area with us and had gone through to the restaurant well before us had not been served and still had menus sat on their tables.

When the staff finally came over to us we decided that enough was enough and we were going elsewhere as we couldn't wait for another 45 minutes (judging by the backlog of diners and orders), which would have been one and a quarter hours after our allotted booking.

Next time maybe they will adhere to the addage that honesty is the best policy.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank Graham S
DavidBeech18, Front Office Manager at Reform Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2019

Dear Mr Shaw

I have had a chat with the staff working that evening and I have been assured you turned up very early for your meal and we simply could not accommodate you any earlier then your booking because we was full at that time. There may have been a slight wait but not the one exaugurated in your review. They invited you to wait at the bar where you would be able to get some pre-dinner drinks.

The guests you saw going through to the restaurant was in fact guests who had pre-booked that time slot. They had not forgotten about you. The restaurant can get busy, especially on a Saturday evening. The timings you have mentioned are simply your own interpretation and we was not given a chance to prove you wrong as you left. We are more then capable of running the restaurant and had planned the evening as we do all of the time. There was no backlog of dinners just a busy dining room which one would expect on a Saturday evening.

Other guests dining that evening have given us such positive reviews and nobody else had an issue with wait times.

You have clearly not enjoyed your stay with us and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I also think it fair for the business to have their say on the matter as reviews of this nature can be damaging to an independent family run business and are not always a true reflection of events.

Reviewed 27 September 2019

The staff could not have been more pleasant but they could and should be much better trained. The setting is comfortable and the decor is smart, it is a pleasant place to eat, we had a round table for six. The waitresses didn't know what half the ingredients on the menu were and made frequent elementary errors like serving all the soups but not providing soup spoons. Vegetarian main course options were very disappointing, they clearly hadn't been well thought through, or had just been poorly cooked. Deserts were average and when you consider the prices the overall take away was a sense of disappointment.

Date of visit: September 2019
2  Thank 294stuart793

Thank you for your review.

I can only apologies about the errors made. I would be interested to know what date and time you dined with us so I can look into this further. Please could you email info@castlehotel.net for the attention of myself.

Kind Regards