“Friendly staff, lousy food.”
Review of Stags Head

Stags Head
Ranked #10 of 470 Restaurants in Lincoln
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Stags Head is under new management, and we now serve locally sourced, fresh food. We have two menus: daylight for the classics and lunchtime offerings and candlelight for the more adventurous and evening diners. We also have a daily specials board to showcase some of our food. We serve from5pm until 930pm Tuesday to Friday, and Saturday with a carvery on a Sunday from 12pm until 6pm (service hours subject to change). We recommend booking as we do get very busy and have limited seating. We also boast a function suite for upto 70 people - we have buffet menus which can be tailored to suit your needs and can cater for most events. Alongside the function suite, our cathedral restaurant can hold upto 40 people for smaller events.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly girl who showed us to our table, which was unfortunately right next to a party of very loud women. As we were still waiting for our other diner we stayed in our place. After 5 minutes or so the waitress must have seen our discomfort and offered to seat us in a quieter area of the pub. This was most welcome and kind and considerate. All the waiting staff that served us were wonderful and if it was just for the service I would hastily recommend it. But unfortunately the food really lets the place down. I had steak pie which was soggy on the outside and dry on the inside. The jug of gravy didn't pour out gravy, just one sticky lump fell out. The vegetables were soggy and tasteless. Except the cauliflower which was wonderful in texture but tasted of nothing. The chips were stodgy and heavy. The food sat on my stomach all night and prevented me getting a good night's sleep, in fact I did wonder if I was going to be sick. Thankfully I wasn't. I won't be going back.

1  Thank JackieJ19

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Eight main courses, every one unhappy with something. Medium steak was tougher than boots, 'Codfather' orders were told 'all the big fish gone, but we've got smaller ones', one of those turned out to be a hollow batter with no fish in it, item sent back replaced with the worse 'posh fish pie', vegetables were wrong on EVERY order, just a pile of cack really. Our own damn fault - we all ate here a couple of months ago and thought it was poor but decided to give them another go!

1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We visited the Stags Head restaurant for their Sunday carvery and found it excellent. Aswell as being very reasonably priced the quality of the food was excellent. A good choice of meat of excellent quality was complemented by a comprehensive range of vegetables which were not overcooked and well presented. Friendly staff and good service were the icing on the cake. Can`t wait to visit again. George

3  Thank Sunflowersfloristsli
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I have visited this pub on many occasions and found that the Sunday carvery to be the best in Lincoln, the mid week food is usually good and well presented but the meat pie is often too dry.The staff are friendly and willing to help and the live bands on a Saturday night make for a great night out with a friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Where to start. Two girls and one guy working the bar/floor. Got to the bar to order a drink to begin with to have one of the girls making remarks to the other over how disgusting the drink was i ordered. Great Start. Then when it came to ordering the food one of my friends got a friendly 'well you need to tell me is this steak & ale pie from the mains menu your ordering or what?' Well we figured you would know working their surely???? She then asked twice if it was with mash or chips. When the starters arrived the second friendly girl did not say one word when placing the food down, just stood staring at us to guess what starters she had in her hand. The best part of the meal was when the mains arrived. My friend who asked twice for mash got chips. When asking for it to be swapped the young guy who was now serving us in all fairness was pleasant enough offered to bring some mash out though seemed a little confused when she asked for him just to take it away and replace the chips. He came back quick enough though with her pie and smash. My meal was the best, creamy chicken and new potatoes. The creamy sauce was tasteless, the chicken..again tasteless, in fact the only thing which did have flavour was the new potatoes. They tasted exactly how playdoh smells. Yum. With that we waited for someone to come over so i could discreetly let them know how bad the food was we gave up after 15 minutes as the staff were to busy chatting between themselves at the bar. Alas we left still hungry and very disappointed, especially after reading some really good reviews on here in the past.

1  Thank lincolnboopeep