“ONE OF THE WORST PUBS IN THE AREA”
Review of Ye Olde Crowne - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ye Olde Crowne
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Ye olde crowne now open after a £400,000 refurbishment, To create lincolns most amazing pub. Drinking, Dinning, Accommodation. New menu using the finest locally sourced produce from our lincolnshire independant suppliers. We also have a speacial theatre menu for our theatre customers. We have also created butique style letting bedrooms. Finest choice of cask ales and real open fires.
Retford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ONE OF THE WORST PUBS IN THE AREA”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I visited this pub for a second time giving it a second chance that was my biggest mistake. It was 25 times worse than the first time i went. The service is very very poor, toilets are a joke and the food came out cold but then came back piping hot in 2.5 mins lol DING. I asked for a fresh meal which the first time took 50 mins the ''FRESH'' meal only took 5 mins ??? when i came to pay my bill they charged me for all 4 meals what a joke and when i argued we only ate half of two of the meals they said if we dont pay they would ring the police!! we paid and will NEVER return again be very carful if you decide to visit this pub.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank LEE1981_12

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Great food nice place”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We went with an open mind after reading reviews on here! It was lovely and my dining partner is a food snob.We went on a groupon voucher. I ordered two glasses of wine and the barman asked if they were the groupon ones or did I want to have them with the meal. Very pleasant lad. The place was quite so the bar staff said we could choose to sit where we liked, i dont see this as a problem as usually you get sat where you dont want to be. Menus were on the tables, he came over after a few minutes and told us what the soup of the day was and that there was no fillet steaks before we made our minds up which was great. Food arrived quickly was piping hot and well presented. We had mushrooms and prawns both very nice. Mains of belly pork, lasagne and steak and ale pie again hot lovely loads of it and sides of veg and salad brought out.

• Visited May 2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Nice food, mediocre service”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Visited this pub as other reviewers with a groupon voucher. Having read recent reviews just before we left, I was a bit apprehensive. The girl behind the bar said to sit anywhere, in spite of the fact that we had reserved a table. We ordered drinks ( a great selection of beers), found some seats away from where a band was going to set up, as advised by the girl, and waited to be brought some menus. After waiting for over 10 minutes my husband eventually asked for them. When the waiter/barman came to take our order, we were informed that we couldn't choose the sharing platter on the groupon voucher, in spite of the fact that it was actually a cheaper option than two separate starters!! So I plumped for something else, only to be told that they had none left, so the starter was my third choice - but it was still very nice when it eventually arrived. I had the goats cheese tart and my husband had the mushrooms. I then chose the pork belly and my husband had the chicken, both of which were very tasty. The voucher also included a glass of wine each, which again we had to ask for - I get the impression that they wouldn't have gven us that bit had we not asked.
We decided that we might have room for a pudding between us so asked for the dessert menu, only to be told by the waiter that they didn't do desserts - and anyway the kitchen was closed now!! (half 8 on a Friday night!!)
We stayed for a while to listen to the band, and then left.
To summarise, the food was very good for the prices being charged, but I felt that the service could be vastly inproved.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank SwindonMoomin
lincoln
“Poor quality in disappointing surroundings”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Was really looking forward to a meal (groupon deal) as the pub/hotel has had a big makeover last year. Table wasn't ready even though we had booked, then when presented with the menu the waiter who was also the barman reeled off all the things not available leaving quite a limited choice. We both ordered king prawns in garlic butter described as "the best large fresh crevettes with fresh crusty bread" . Oh dear....3 not particually large prawns on a piece of dry thick sliced bread daubed with a little chopped garlic with no signs of butter! Awful. Then the chicken breast stuffed with stilton on tomatoes and mash, bland and unappetising. It was a very amateurish meal and in a chaotic surroundings as a band was trying to get all their kit together and the door was constantly left open blowing a gale. The only star that night was the poor chap running the bar, setting the tables, taking orders, delivering food and organising the band!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank sunnydaysLincoln
Lincoln
“Needs looking at by Management”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We arrived early for the theatre, and decided to call in for a drink whilst waiting, We had heard fairly good reviews of the pub.
Firstly, there was hardly any real ales available, the range of soft drinks was very poor, and the draught cider was appalling.
The bar surface as very sticky, thus too were the tables, there was a significant amount of dust around the wood panelling and brass light fittings.
The barman was dressed in black skinny jeans and large boots, rolled up shirt sleeves and opened neck shirt,and was reading a heat magazine between serving customers, which didn't add respect to the pub.
To top it all off , when male and female friends went to the toilet, there was no toilet paper in either,and the sinks were covered in liquid soap.
I understand why you only had 1 member of staff on at tea time, but surely all the nitty gritty things that help to make a pub worth revisiting, should of been dealt with before only one member of staff was left on duty. Its a real shame that so much effort went to to refurbishment, but that details are being over looked to keep the pub up to standard.
From my experiance of the cleanliness of the pub I personally would be reluctant to eat there.

• Visited April 2012