“Out of standards”
Review of Queen In The West

Queen In The West
Ranked #25 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We booked a promotional offer in one of the mass booking sites after considering the customer rating of the place which was good. I didn't pay too much attention to the details as it was a one-night stay only. At the arrival, it was quite a surprise to find a pub at the indicated address and no sign of a hotel. But soon we were shown our room, one of the two (!) this place has. It was a pleasant surprise after all, we had the feeling to stay in some medieval kind of a lodge where the innkeeper offers some rooms as well besides it core business.
Our room (that one on the first floor) was nice and comfortable, with a huge adjacent bathroom. The room was a bit small, but it was enough for us. The only problem was that the guests of the pub were a bit noisy (obviously), so there was not so much quiet until midnight.
The breakfast was served in the pub and it was excellent. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. The overall experience was rather unusual, but memorable in a positive way. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Queen In The West

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for two nights whilst visiting Lincoln
The pub itself doesn't open till four so we had to ring to get access
Our room had a front and rear door, one onto the street and one into the pubs beer garden
The room itself ticked all the boxes, clean with a very comfy bed. The bathroom was a little cold as is only single glazed, but a piping hot shower soon lets you forget.
Pub owners are very nice people and serve a large breakfast with coffee, juice etc at the time to suit you in the morning
It is a ten min walk to the city and there is a local sainsburys on route if you need anything
Very enjoyable stay indeed

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a nice room with private access to the street outside which is good as you don't have to trudge through the bar area to get to your room. The ensuite was adequate but a little bit daunting as it backed onto the outside beer garden where anyone sitting there would hear any noises coming from the bathroom. You could hear every word people were saying at normal talking volume from within the bathroom too. However this doesn't affect the fact that the room was lovely and the breakfast yummy. The owner was very welcoming and chatted with us for ages which was nice as there would have been plenty of work he probably wanted to get on with.
Queen in the West is in a nice quiet street and the proximity to Lincoln is fantastic.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindyAustralia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The Queen in the west is a quiet back street pub. We only wanted somewhere for one night and after reading tripadvisor , we thought it was the ideal place to stay and for only £48 for the night it didn't break the bank. The room was compact good tv the bed creaked and the shower room was tiny. This was the down stairs room, which had the advantage of having its own front door out on to the street, so on returning from your night out you did not have to go through the pub. Breakfast was in the pub( which could do with a bit of a refurb), was quite nice. We were asked if we wanted fruit juice ,there was no cereal and where only offered an English breakfast ( not asked how we wanted our eggs - fried, scrambled or poached.) The toast was thin and there was no jam or marmalade. All in all you get what you pay for . If you want a breakfast to see you through the day and a room with a bit more space then I suggest you give the queen a miss.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms and from other reviews the upstairs room must be the biggest but the stairs...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A really nice little pub in the centre of Lincoln with two rooms. Clean and comfortable, a nice bar and a super beer garden. Would not hesitate staying here again. The breakfasts were excellent, we stayed two nights and had a super time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

If you don't want to read everything I've written here, just know that I would highly recommend The Queen in the West as a place to stay when visiting Lincoln. It was a perfect fit for me the two nights I stayed. Cheaper than most other BnB's or hotels in Lincoln, it still had everything important going for it.

First off, it is mainly an excellent pub in a residential area slightly west of downtown Lincon and southwest of the cathedral, castle and everything on the hill. Everything you want to see in Lincoln is within a fifteen minute walk. I'm sometimes suspicious of staying above pubs because of the noise and smells from the kitchen, but I was pleased to see that the rooms were in a connected building which overlooks the beer garden. You access the rooms through the beer garden, but have your own access to the street, so you can avoid the pub if you want to (I didn't). Some noise might reach your room from that beer garden, but I didn't exactly notice: I was in the pub until close every night myself.

The room itself was exactly what I was looking for: comfortable queen bed, more than enough space to move about, TV with Sky Sports and a million channels, etc. I believe the bathroom is shared between the upstairs and downstairs rooms, but I basically had it to myself. It's huge with an excellent shower. I would recommend the upstairs room over the downstairs because its one foot away from the bathroom, but you do go up a few precariously steep stairs to reach the room and the bathroom. This might pose a problem for people with legitimate mobility problems, but it wasn't for me.

Breakfast was excellent and they are flexible with times: Mo the housekeeper and I worked out a time and everything went great. I hate those BnB's that give you a 7-7:30 AM time window for breakfast and say tough [--] to everything else, so this was real boon.

Mo is very helpful and nice, as is the owner John and his wife (who's name escapes me, I'm sorry to say). They were happy to help me store my luggage for the day when I was moving about and very gracious hosts in every way. Basically everybody working in the bar is exceptionally friendly, as are all of the regulars. It's a neighborhood pub, not a loud commercial affair, and I would highly recommend spending time in it getting to know people.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a friends wedding. It was a third of the price of other hotels in the middle of Lincoln. Basically its two rooms in the premises of a pub. The pub is in need of a renovation but the rooms are clean, comfy and have a few nice additions.

The rooms have Virgin tv, the bed was comfy and clean, shower was hot. Stairs to the room were very steep, and the bathroom (next room along from the bedroom) was very big but empty. They could include soap with the sink.

Breakfast was quite good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

As a bed for the night I wouldnt have wanted anything more. Will probably return if I need an overnight stay in Lincoln again.

• Stayed: June 2013