“Business stay in double booked room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Doubletree for a 3 night business trip which I had booked some 5-6 weeks prior to arrival. When arriving at the hotel, after booking a king room I was given a twin room, apparently some one ran out of fingers to count on. I was disappointed at such a simple mistake and was told no upgrades available even though there was online for every night of my stay. This tainted what would have been a great trip as the cleanliness and staff where excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Paul N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your review, please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced due to your requested room type not being available on arrival, please be assured if an alternative room was available we would have upgraded you to avoid any discomfort during your stay. I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed our hotel and would ask you to contact me directly the next time you are looking to visit Lincoln for business or a relaxing leisure break and I will ensure you are well looked after.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great position and nice rooftop bar. Rooms have very comfy bed and good quality bedding. Bathroom nicely appointed. Overall a great stay except the breakfast needs improving. Ok if you like a cooked breakfast but poor choice for those wishing to be healthy

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is well located near to Braysford pool and a not to long walk to the famous cathedral with plenty of eateries close to the hotel the town center is close by and some very small alley ways to be explored all in all a very good hotel with close by amenities.

1  Thank Henryno9
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here for business, and would recommend it particularly for business travellers. The room was very comfortable with a large useful desk, good lighting and internet access. The location is lovely too and it's restful overlooking the wharf. The choice of local restaurants was good as was the in-room dining. All round, an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brie S
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Reception staff were very helpful and happy. Location is great, rooms spotlessly clean. The bar on the top floor is bright and contemporary although getting served proved very difficult at the time we were there.
Breakfast was excellent and the service of the staff could not be faulted despite us getting to the restaurant 10 minutes before service ended on both mornings. This was a bit of a test to their professionalism yet they even brought out more food. Excellent service. If we returned to lincoln, without a doubt would stay here again.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were impressed with the location of the hotel on the waterfront in the centre of town. The receptionist who dealt with both check in and departure on our stay went out of her way to be helpful regarding all our requirements. We particularly liked the location of the breakfast room on the top floor and the range of food and drink available and service given by the staff there. The only criticism of the room was that the window could not be opened and the heat extractor by the door was so noisy that we had to remove the key card to switch it off in order to sleep. In summer this would result in the room becoming too hot.

1  Thank Howard M
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Dates: 18-20th April 2014 Inclusive Guest Name: Barry McBride (wife and young son) I write in regard to a recent stay at the Hilton Double Tree Lincoln - dates noted above. I am not an habitual complainer but feel that I should share my experience in the hope that changes can be made for the benefit of other guests. Booking I booked in advance on a bed, breakfast and evening meal basis. Our preferred choice of a room overlooking the Brayford Water was not available - I understand that the rooms at the front of the hotel are suites. The room that we did get was excellent - large and comfortable. Unfortunately the receptionist failed to explain the process for evening meals i.e. 'tokens' .This resulted in a full charge for the evening meals being applied to the room bill - Queried at checkout , I was refunded £150 immediately. Regrettably the £350 paid for the initial 2 night stay had not been deducted - but again now refunded. Because changes needed to be made to the bill I was advised that a revised bill would be forwarded to my email account - this was not forthcoming. Only received upon chasing this week. Thanks to Stephanie Morgan who has been helpful in explaining the bill - the bill invoice received was not itemised and caused some confusion. Restaurant & Service Friday - The restaurant was very busy but the food and service provided was excellent. Saturday Evening - The restaurant was quiet but I understand a large coach party were dining in the adjoining room. I chose the chicken dish but unfortunately the meal was served cold. Regrettably the customary enquiry from the waiter / waitress if the dish was ok was not forthcoming, nor was anyone available so I could ask for a replacement. The headwaiter did notice I had left my meal when he came to remove the plates - I explained the meal was cold. He very politely apologised and offered a replacement; given that my wife had finished her meal, I declined. The waiter advised that the chicken dish would no be charged for and apologised once again. Note: The adjoining table had a similar problem with the chicken dish - but in their case the chicken was served raw and was returned to the kitchen - the waitress acknowledged to my fellow diner that the chicken was indeed raw. When I received the bill the chicken dish had been charged for and I had to call the headwaiter to explain - again he apologized profusely and deducted the charge. Sunday Evening - The restaurant was busier than it had been on the Saturday evenings but still relatively quiet. The menu differed to the previous evening - We were somewhat surprised the combined cost for a 3 course meal (less any supplements) came to a combined cost of £20 pp. Given we were afforded an allowance of £25 pp - it would appear better value to just pay for the Sunday meal separately. Service was poor on this occasion, somewhat surprising when there seemed an adequate number of staff working - We waited an eternity to place our desert order - not lost on the headwaiter who duly removed the cost from the bill. The experience throughout somewhat spoilt the birthday celebration. Overall observations - Some aprons the staff were wearing were very dirty. Some wine glasses had water marks on the base and some cutlery was dirty - A simple cursory inspection before placing to the table would have identified this. Day 1 the waiter kindly poured the wine and refilled once, but on the Sunday evening the Champagne was not topped up - Not precious over such things but it is customary that the waiter top up the glasses at least once - given that it was quiet and waiters were standing around, I was somewhat surprised. Although waiters and waitresses were very polite and friendly, they were not efficient in what they were doing - apparently lacking supervision and leadership. Christmas Residential Package On the day of arrival we had lunch at the Cafe Bar - great food and service. I picked up the brochure for the Christmas Period and enquired at reception about the residential package, unfortunately the gentleman could not advise with regards a few questions I had (i.e. was evening meal included on the Christmas Eve). I enquired on the Saturday but again no one could provide further information but I was advised that they would endeavour to get information for when I checked out - This was not provided. Upon checkout I was advised that I should contact the Event Team. I have today sent an email and I await a reply. Individually none of the above are massive mistakes - these things happen and can be quickly remedied if there is a will to do so, Unfortunately collectively they combined to tarnish an otherwise great break and birthday celebration. This is our second visit to the hotel and hopefully not our last - Given that we are keen to make a residential Christmas booking for ourselves and other family members, it indicates our desire to revisit. Regards Mr & Mrs McBride.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Paul N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review and extensive feedback, I will take time in sharing with the team to ensure we have more focus on delivering consistency in our service for all future guests. I hope to see you return again in the near future for a more favourable experience.