“Easter Break in Lincoln”
Review of The Old Palace

The Old Palace
Ranked #12 of 48 Lincoln B&B and Inns
London
“Easter Break in Lincoln”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Old Palace is a beautiful hotel in the centre of the historic part of Lincoln, a stones throw from the Cathedral. I stayed in a twin room in the lodge, which is out the back of the hotel in a converted little church. The room (a twin) was described as cosy and I feared it would be small, but it was a lovely, a very well decorated room which we were very happy with. The breakfast was plentiful though sometimes a little chaotic. The orders weren't always right and they weren't particularly busy.
The two things which needed attention were the signs (there are no signs to say that it is a hotel) very difficult if you're not local. Luckily I was born nearby and knew where the hotel was.
Although in the main the staff were very friendly and helpful the male receptionist was dreadful, it was almost an effort for him to speak to us and didn't give us the time of day. We had to extract information from him. He was the same on all of the days we were there, quite off putting. Everyone else was great.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the 'cosy' twin room. I believe it is the only twin room and it'...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I took my Mum for an overnight stay so she could see Lincoln Cathedral - she is 85 and hadn't been for 40 years. I booked The Old Palace as it was so near to the Cathedral and I am so glad that I did. What a beautiful hotel in such a wonderful position. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the hotel which I would thoroughly recommend as the service was excellent and the food delicious - with lovely little extras like speciality breads and flavoured butters. Everything was fresh and made by the chefs. The view of Lincoln from the dinning room was fantastic.Breakfast was equally as delcious - locally sourced food and such a good choice. My only wish is that we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank josettem344
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed one night here very recently. I found the lack of signs to find the hotel frustrating as we are not local. There was one small sign at the entrance door, but no others, so it is not clear how to find it. Once you are there there are still no signs inside the building so I wasn't sure if I was going through the right door, or if I had found reception. Having said this, once I had found the right place the welcome was warm. As others have said, I was shown to the lift, with a point towards a staircase where breakfast was served the next day but that was all. There was again no signs directing you or telling you what any of the many rooms were for, so I'm not sure if there was a guest lounge, for example.

Once we got to our room we found it was small, but very clean and comfortably furnished. Two single beds pushed together was a surprise, but not a problem, though they were quite firm. We had booked an afternoon tea and it is here that we were a bit disappointed. The spring/summer menu which we were looking forward to (and had been sent in an email) apparently does not start until May. The sandwiches were uninspiring and (unlike with the spring/summer menu) there were items that we either did not like or are allergic to. The cakes were varied, but tasted mostly of sugar rather than cake. This we felt was a shame.

However breakfast the next morning was very pleasant. There was a wide range of items to choose from and the cooked breakfasts that we had were very tasty with good quality ingredients. The room this was served in was very pleasant and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Overall this is a very nice hotel, with the friendly staff being a particular asset, but one or two things let it down.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The staff at The Old Palace are incredibly friendly and helpful. They worked with my partner for months to help plan a surprise proposal, and subsequently gave us wonderful service in their beautiful hotel all weekend. Our room in the lodge was impeccable, breakfast was superb and our dinner in the restaurant was gorgeous with wonder service from Hannah.

Thank you to the team, especially Danielle and Martina, for everything.

Room Tip: The rooms in the lodge are wonderful, room 35 is especially stunning.
1 Thank Natzfree
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

As previous reviews mentioned not well signposted but as locals we knew where it was, however more signs might be appropriate for visitors less aware of location. Beautiful historic building which in places was a little worn but only to be expected given its age. Service on arrival was ok nothing outstanding shown to lift not room and not given much information other than directions to room. Room was a suite in the main building and with a quirky lounge up a flight of stone spiral stairs within the room. The bed was initially disappointing as was actually two singles pushed together however it wasn't an issue really as very comfortable. Room was clean only a dusty extractor fan in bathroom let it down. Talking of bathroom it's not for faint hearted as sani flow toilet sounded like a plane taking off not great for a trip to the loo in the early hours of the morning, however given age of building can understand why it's there. Internet access in room is limited and only if you bring a laptop with correct wire to plug into wall sockets as iPad is not an option. There was a fire place in the upstairs lounge which wasn't set up or lit and this would have been a nice option to add to ambience etc. We ate in the small hotel restaurant which though expensive was worth it with views over the city and lovely food with surprise extras and a very polite helpful waitress. Breakfast was very good with super polite staff and a very we'll cooked meal. Would return again and try a different room.

Room Tip: Ring and ask about the room you have booked if you book online to ensure it meets with your needs. O...
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I have just returned home after a few nights stay at the lovely hotel and just had to write a review. This is the first hotel I have wrote a generally good reveiw about because there is nothing I can complain about. The room was lovely and was catered for all my needs even when I had needed something it was a quick call to reception and it was done straight away without question. This hotel is brilliant the restaurant was amazing foid was outstanding and service was brill . Our first night in the restaurant we was taken care by Natalie she was very good and was also helpful on our questions about the hotel we were then served by other members who was just as great. The team on reception was alwats kind and helpful and made us feel very welcome with a help with our bags and being showed to our rooms which was very helpful. Breakfast was just as good service as restaurant there was a lot of helpful staff one in which called Rachel and a young man who made sure we had everything we needed when our breakfast was brought to us who nicely brought me some hp sauce and more coffee. I had a lovely stay at this fine hotel an will 100% return to this hotel as its not just the nice building or stunning veiws its the staff that makes the hotel so amazing.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Old Palace last weekend, had a little trouble finding it, we came up the wrong street up the hill and had to double back down the hill, but once I put the post code in the sat nav we found it no problem.

What can i say ? A fabulous hotel, we were in the Lodge, formerly the church of St Michael on the Mount converted into hotel rooms. The room was lovely, clean and great bathroom with fabulous shower. Only disappointment we had no view of the cathedral, only over Lincoln, but you had to stand on a chair to see it. The room was very warm and woke in the middle of the night, but could not turn the heating off.

Breakfast was lovely, home cooked to order local produce, also plenty of cereals and pastries, all very well presented, breakfast staff very pleasant and accommodating, we were offered vegetarian sausages. All staff were very good.

Location was fantastic, right next to the cathedral in the old quarter, also the hotel is amongst the ruins of the Medieval Bishops Palace and 5 minutes to Steep hill and the castle.

We will definitely return as the Magna Carta was not at the castle and the castle was not fully open to the public. highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: the lodge is very quiet,
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends