“Pub food at its best”
Review of The Swan Holme

The Swan Holme
Ranked #97 of 447 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Swan Holme in Lincoln is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
“Pub food at its best”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great pub serving good range of hot and cold food and at very reasonable prices

In the good weather you can sit outside and admire the views of the lakes

Visited February 2014

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Good Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Would add this pub is closing for a complete refurbishment .
Sunday lunch served for two on a platter 3 meats veg £21
good friendly service , views of the lake ,outside seating
plenty of parking , good walks nearby round the lakes
for walking off your meals !!

• Visited March 2014
“Poor Service”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We've visited the Swan Holme a few times in the past year and every time the service has been very poor. The food is ok but overpriced. On one occasion one of our party ordered a mixed grill only for them to forget to cook it! He had to wait for it while the rest were eating their meal. In December we booked a table for the Christmas menu but were still waiting for our table to be cleared 20 minutes after our booking time. My sister in law booked on a Sunday recently for her birthday and we were sat for about 25 minutes before anyone came to us, I ordered a Sunday lunch only to be told they'd run out of most of the veg. Some of the food is very overpriced as well, I've ordered the fish pie for £9.99 and it was the smallest fish pie I've ever seen, about 5 forkfuls later and it was gone! There's only so many chances you can give the place so I'll not be going again.

• Visited December 2013
Sam E, General Manager at The Swan Holme, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologise for the issues mentioned in your review. I would like the chance to discuss these with you further. Please feel free to contact me on 01522 509859 or reply via a message with a number to contact yourself on.

Kind Regards

Sam

Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Nice place, OK food but terrible service”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I tried the Swanholme on a Sunday evening when it really wasn't busy. We were first kept waiting like lemons whilst someone came to greet us and show us to our table. Drinks were provided quickly whilst we looked at the menu. I ordered the Sunday roast and my wife a salmon dish. After a long wait the food arrived and looked great. Indeed my wife's was really good but I quickly discovered the roast beef was undoubtedly the product of leftovers from lunchtime. Veg were fine but the beef was tough as old boots and the yorkshire puddings seemed to be warmed up or re-heated versions.
We twice had to request more drinks and for our table to be cleared as the staff were much more interested in talking to friends and/or family who were in the pub. Throughout our entire meal the table next to us had uncleared plates from previous diners. We persevered and asked to see the dessert menu which the waitress immediately forgot, so 5 minutes later we had to request it again from the barman.
At the end of our meal, I asked for the bill twice and my wife asked once before finally - once again the barman stepped in to help out.
Staffing is the issue here. Both quantity - not enough certainly when we visited, and training. At one point the chef also came out to chat with friends for at least 20 minutes, whilst we witnessed a family at an adjacent table complaining about the delay with their food. Finally, we really don't want to see the waiter/waitress serve us food with a FILTHY apron on, can't the aprons stay in the kitchen....?
Shame really, its a really nice place and the food generally looks good. Perhaps we were unlucky.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LincDiner
Lincoln
“Disappointing. Won't return”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Went to the Swan Holme this lunch time for the first time in about 2 years.
Decided on the 2 course fixed menu (£8.50?), I had Breaded mushrooms for a starter, the wife had soup.
When the starters arrived I was disappointed to see only 4 mushrooms on the place on top of one lettuce leaf, upon further inspection I realised there were in fact only TWO mushrooms - halved! Garlic mayo was ok .

My wifes soup was tomato and red pepper and was actually quite cold, with the odd hot spot - presumably heated up in a jug in a microwave but not for long enough.

She ate it though and the bread, but when the waitress came to clear the plates and asked how it was, my wife told her it was quite cold. No apology or explanation was given.

Mains arrived 10 mins later ( Scampi and a chicken breast thing in paprika breadcrumbs), Scampi was acceptable but the chicken although moist was seemingly just chucked in a fryer and served with frozen chips and a slice of tomato. A few garden peas and maybe a salad garnish wouldn't have gone a miss. There seemed to be no love or skill put into the meals whatsoever.
Over £4 for a "regular" glass of wine and £3.50 for a beer probably average nowadays, but with so many places to eat good quality pub food in Lincoln at even cheaper prices and better quality we won't be going back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank AS_Tourist
Sam E, General Manager at The Swan Holme, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that it appears that our food has not met the usual high standards we set ourselves at the Swan Holme. Please be assured that I will look into the invdividual issues that have been brought to my attention. I would like to discuss this personally with you, please feel free to contact me on 01522 509859

Regards