“Fantastic B&B”
Review of The Old Bakery

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lincoln
The Old Bakery
Ranked #14 of 48 Lincoln B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B”
Reviewed 30 May 2008

A restaurant with rooms, this B&B was great with a reasonable price. One of those rare places in the UK that charges per room rather than per person.

Atmosphere was welcoming but not overwhelming. Guests are introduced to the accommodation and allowed to get on with their stay.

Immaculately clean bathroom with a comfortable bath and piping hot water.

Very comfortable beds in warm rooms. The homemade cookies were great. The decoration is slightly worn but that is endearing

Delicious breakfast with really good black pudding and wonderful local sausages.

Very accommodating about an early departure and left breakfast for me in the refridgerator.

• Liked — Independence and price
  • Disliked — confusion about restaurant host area being the same as B&B check in
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Leeds
Reviewed 30 March 2008

Despite the fact that the guest house had the Times restaurant critics in and they were all on tenterhooks, the service and the food were great. The chef's Italian but no pasta/pizza - cuts of meat/fish and beautifuly cooked.

The rooms were clean and well equipped and the bed comfortable. Nice thick towels too.

The Bakery is set in a terrace of houses so no pretty grounds but there is a view of Lincoln castle if you strain your neck round and it is in walking distance of the ancient bits of Lincoln or a very quick car ride to the cathedral car park.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — View
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank beth305
Conder Green
Reviewed 5 February 2008

My stay at The Old Bakery was a mixture of business and pleasure and it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. The food was wonderful and the whole place very quaint. It was so convenient for the town centre and the main historical interests, I could walk to the said places. The staff were so friendly and helpful towards all my needs, it was like staying with good friends. Hopefully my business will enable me to return to sample the wonderful menu once again.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Marky53
Preston
Reviewed 27 January 2008

We have just got back from an excellent weekend. Alan, Tracy, Ivano and Lynne were very welcoming,hospitable and helpful with ideas of things to do and places to visit. The Old Bakery is very near to the Castle, Cathedral and shops. The restaurant had two main rooms, one being the beautiful conservatory that looked so different at night due to the lighting in the floor, and the front room that looked very charming still housing the origional bakery ovens.The food was the best we have eaten thanks to Ivano the chef. The menu offered a diverse and varied selection of main courses, we wanted to try them all!!! I have never seen such a large selection of cheeses, this gave us the opportunity to sample new flavours. In all a fabulous experience that we would like to repeat on at least an annual basis. You must book the restaurant when you book your room or you will miss out on an excellent meal. Thanks again Kath from Preston

• Liked — Complimentary home baked cookies in the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KathPreston
English Lakes
Reviewed 19 November 2007

At last a place to go that matches all the information given beforehand. The restaraunt was so easy to feel comfortable in. We were greeted in the small but warmly entrance by Mr Ritson who made us so relaxed with his story of the Old Bakery, and the food on offer that evening, made a perfect start to our wedding anniversary celebration. The meal was superb and that is not exaggerating. We only booked to stay the one night and how we wished it was for a couple more. As stated on another review the room was as expected overlooking the main road but never heard a thing when the pillows took control. Room, Spotless, Room, So Good my Dream fell asleep half way through it. Morning breakfast, did'nt really need it, but could not resist it. As many more visitors to this homely restaraunt will find out. Thank you Mr Ritson, Chef Ivano and all the staff who made my wife and I have a great anniversary. Mr & Mrs Carlos,Lake District. We shall be back.

• Liked — Entering it
  • Disliked — Leaving it
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TerryCEnglishLakes
Sunderland,UK
Reviewed 18 November 2007

When the waitress at the Old Bakery brought me the wrong starter it looked so nice that I didn't bother to tell her and ate it anyway. The next time we go I'm just going to say - 'bring me whatever you think is good - apart from soup which I don't much like- and I'm sure that it will be fine.' The food in the Old Bakery is not only excellent but it is cooked with a generous hand and this makes a cut above the rest. Gluten free presented them with no problems at all and the relaxed atmosphere and cheerful staff added to the pleasure.
Fresh fruit at breakfast would be nice but this is a suggestion not a criticism.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — shower needed a bit of oomph
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guilia
Shropshire UK
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Mr and Mrs Lardy 3 nights 12-15th Nov 2007 for anniversary

Booked direct with TOB via their website which was well produced and easy to navigate around. The 3 nights on a B&B basis included double room with En-suite facilities for a total of £189.We e-mailed the owner Alan RITSON to reserve a table in the restaurant for the Tuesday evening (closed Mondays) after reading rave reviews on various sites. I noted that TOB had featured in a brochure supplement by ‘The Times’ consisting of selective hotels/inns for the UK.

It is located only 5 minutes walk to the Castle which is in immediate view as soon as you walk out of the front door. There are some convenience shops, cash points and good pubs all within a short distance. The Lincolnshire Life Museum is also located 5 minutes away

On arrival at 11am we were greeted by the bright and cheery Alan. After a brief update of TOB and the facilities Alan helped us with our bags up to our room, Room No 2. The room had a warm welcoming décor with an extremely comfortable bed (very surprising for a Guest House) The view was nothing special as it overlooked the road but we knew this at the time of booking. Unless I am spending a lot of time in a room this doesn’t bother me one bit. I was aware there is another room which has views of the Castle but as above, not bothered. One thing that is important though, is that although we were on a ‘Main Road’ sleeping was no problem as there was hardly any traffic at all after 10pm and both me and Mrs Lardy are quite light sleepers.

You could tell immediately on arrival that TOB had character and it was the little things that impressed me - as follows.

Rooms were spotless, were a good size and tastefully decorated. Your ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign did not exist. A local artist has crafted a painting of a cat with your room number on it outside your room. If you don’t want disturbing you leave it hanging outside, take it in if your room is ready for making up - quirky and cute. Warning signs of minding your head near to the restaurant consisted of hand painted laying cards on the floor. The painting covering the doorway to room number 4 was also a nice touch

Now for the Restaurant, this was set out with a rustic, Mediterranean feel complete with Bang & Oulsfan music system playing discreet tracks. It’s appeal caters for all, romantics and both formal and informal meals. For my evening meal I had Roast butternut squash and red onion risotto cakes for starters, Pernod flamed ostrich fillet with gratin potato and lentil Kale cream sauce. Dessert was Apple and Nougat semi-Fredo (semi frozen apparently). Now I kid you not, do believe the hype if you check out the website. This is probably the best meal I have ever had without any exaggeration.

I don’t want to go on about the food too much as this review is about the hotel. Although it did complete our stay and I even got excited going to bed each night and looking forward to the full cooked breakfast (Alan, no tomatoes LoL). Alan told us there is an average 8 week waiting list for the restaurant so book early. The restaurant hold’s 40 and there is an extension being built at the rear to cater for the same again. Again this caused no problems as all work was done during the day whilst we were out sightseeing.

I would definitely stay here again. I felt that the service we received from Alan and his staff was genuine and not just a ‘thanks for your money do come again to give us more money’. You can tell that a lot of hard works goes on here to keep the standards so high. You will see from other hotel reviews I have submitted that these mainly consist of those from overseas this is because
1. Mrs Lard is pregnant so cant fly.
2. Never really liked the hospitality at home as much as abroad.
My faith has been restored here and I will be recommending it to friends and family.

PROS - Location, Clean and comfortable rooms, warm hospitality and food, food, food

CONS None-

TIPS - Parking - resident parking outside hotel non residents only 2hrs. To get round this all you do is drive round the corner (30 seconds walk) Upper Legs Road and park there as there are no restrictions at all.

I will also be submitting a Trip Report on Lincoln and have included some photos of the places we visited on this report

• Liked — Genuine hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LardyUK
theoldbakery, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this review, 17 November 2007
We would like to formally thank lardyuk for his glowing report on our establishment.
It is extremely gratifying when a guest takes significant time and trouble to produce such a report since it is an unfortunate fact that whilst a significant number are always quick to complain, people are rarely as quick to pay compliments. This couple were a pleasure to have in our establishment and we look forward to their return hopefully at some stage.

Alan Ritson