“A totally bad experience!”
Review of The Electric

The Electric
Ranked #56 of 462 Restaurants in Lincoln
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our Electric Bar and Restaurant offers dining experience like no other in the city. Situated on the 5th floor with unsurpassed views of Lincoln and the Cathedral, you can experience fine-dining amongst stunning surroundings.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Expected at least a 3* standard at this obviously over-hyped restaurant! It doesn't even deserve 1 *!AVOID!

Booked for 1.15 p.m. Hot day. Outside balcony had several empty tables. Asked if we could have one. Waitress said "no they're already booked". We were there well over an hour and only one of these became occupied. One remained empty the whole time and another became vacant soon after we arrived and stayed that way. In my opinion the waitress was restricting diners to actual dining room so that she had less distance to travel. She seemed tired and a bit grumpy (heard her swearing as she showed a couple to a nearby table "and now I've forgotten the B..... menu! she said loudly." Not what you expect in that sort of establishment! We did not have starters. My husband had paella but it was nothing like proper paella. Each of the main ingredients were arranged individually on the plate with just a "scraping" of rice. A slice of tomato was shrunken and blackened. It all looked dried out on the plate. It was sacralege to serve a classic dish in this way. Why ruin a superb traditional Spanish dish that has "worked" so incredibly well for centuries and separate it all up on a dish?

I ordered the classic fish and chips. To my horror my fish arirved curled up at both ends and they were pointing up towards the ceiling. It looked like a horseshoe was standing erect on my plate with the open ends pointing upwards! The fish was obviously overcooked as it was an unappetising dark brown. There was a thin streak of pureed peas on the dish which had dried up! It is such a cheap veg - why so mean? The chips were okay but the fish was so dry and tasteless and there was far too much batter. It was inedible.. I complained and it was returned to the kitchen. I had to wait a long time - in fact my husband had completely finished his "paellla" before another fish was brought to me, curled up as before and still dark brown, but it had been freshly cooked and the fish inside was moist and had some flavour but the batter was still overcooked. Having to eat at separate times was not what we planned and by this time we were really annoyed. We didn't bother with pudding. I had ordered a small wine and it came in an enormous glass - filled about 1/6th of it and it looked most odd.

When we received the bill 10% service charge ahd already been added in spite of our complaints. I really dislike it when these charges are "sneakily" added to the bill. I prefere to tip separately according to the quality of food and service. In our case both leaved a lot to be desired. The charge should NOT have been added as we had suffered a really bad and dissappointing experience!

I asked the waiter who brought the bill for the name of the Hotel Manager but I was given the name of the Food and Beverage Manager instead a(Lee) and it was he who replied to my letter of complaint instead of the General Manager, Philip Walker, who was the person I had sent my letter of complaint to! He said he was away but aware fo my complaints. My complaint was NOT dealt with by the correct person.
Briefly Lee's reply stated:- "Balcony tables had all been booked that lunchtime or booked for a later time". I don't believe this. Several tables were vacant for over an hour whilst we were there.
He stated -"Lunch shifts are busy - staff get stressed but bad language is unacceptable" but he did NOT apoligse for this.!
He stated - "Paella - chef serves this deconstructed/modern". In my opinion the chef ruins the dish by doing this!
He stated - "Fish - sad to hear we did not deliver to the level of quality, despite a replacment dish being arranged a.s.a.p". He also admitted my husband's meal should have been kept warm whilst I waited. However, this would have dried up the paella even more! He made no apology!
He stated - "Wine - Dining room has only one size of wineglass" He then incorrectly interpreted my complaint. He seemed to think I was accusing them of too small a measure. I was not. I complained that the huge wineglass was far too big (like goldfish bowls) for a small wine. Again, no apology!
He claimed - "Service charge -.All service charges on bills are discretionary". He then said he was proud that all service charges go to staff. He failed to address my complaint and that was because we were so dissatisfied with the meal etc. that serrvice charge should NOT have been put on the bill at all! Once again, no apology!

An apolgy, of sorts, came in the last paragraph of the letter but to be honest the whole tone of Lee's letter comes across as arrogant and condescending and some of my complaints were not properly answered at all.

We will NEVER go back to the Electric Restaurant. It is not welcoming, decor is drab and gives a rather "cold" effect. Some staff give you the feeling it is all too much trouble and too much like hard work serving at table and it would seem they are not interested in trying to give customers a good experience. In all my many years of eating out, this is the first time I have heard a waitress audibly swear in front of customers. Food is pretentious, dried out, overcooked and unpleasant. They don't have the correct sized wine glasses for "small" glasses of wine. Sneaky service charges added to bill even if you have a bad experience. Actual Hotel Manager fails to personally answer complaints. Give the Electric a miss!

Mat R, Manager at The Electric, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I am disappointed to see this review on here. What you fail to mention is that this incident was from June last year, I've looked into this and I believe the situation you mention as regrettable as it was, was handled professionally with an apology and compensation offered to alleviate your bad experience.

This is why I'm slightly puzzled you've decided to publish this review now after all this time. Everybody you mention in the review are no longer with us in the business and we have moved on with new management and team alike. I feel this is a unfair evaluation of how we are now as a restaurant, and we take great pride in what we have achieved in the last year,

Regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in numerous Double Tree hotels, we had very high expectations of this restaurant. After being seated we were given a menu which on first impressions didn't blow us away as there was a very limited choice. We ordered our starter and main with a bottle of wine. We were given a complimentary amuse-bouche and then our starter arrived in good time. The starter was very nice but we had to remind the waiter to bring our wine. After the starters were cleared away, we had to wait about an hour for our main course to come out. Myself and my partner ordered the 'Chump of Lamb'. We were very disappointed with the portion size and there was a lot of fat on the Lamb. The carrots were hard and tasted as though they'd been soaked in petrol.
After this we decided against the dessert and asked for the bill. We had to ask twice and the bill finally came out over half an hour later. The waiter took off the service charge to apologise for the delay but the bill, given how average the food was, still left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Mat R, Manager at The Electric, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant, I'm disappointed you didn't receive our usual high standards in food or service.

We try and appeal to all palates and believe the menu we currently have in place as 'limited' as it is, is so we don't stretch ourselves to thin but concentrate on delivering what dishes we have well. We are in a transitional period in terms of our menus and are working on something really special for the summer.

The Chump of Lamb is a new dish and the feedback has been really good, but of course we welcome all types of feedback and change our dishes accordingly, but we certainly don't soak our carrots in petrol.

I'm glad the waiter noticed your inconvenience at the time of asking for the bill and took off the service charge. I hope your experience hasn't out you off visiting us again and next time we will have something of the menu you can enjoy.

regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Went for an evening drink in the electric bar as were staying in the hotel and it was convenient. The view is superb overlooking the marina at night and the selection of cocktail gave us much to choose from.

Would recommend even if just for the view.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

It was a Thursday Night with streamed Jazz music very nice with excellent views of the Wharf. The evening meal was very good although the service was a bit slow and it wasn't that full at the time. Went again the following night completely different music, drinks where nice with interesting cocktails. Nice effective staff.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We decided to have dinner at the Doubletree by Hilton restaurant on Sunday (27 April)

To be honest, we were expecting corporate blandness as is often the case with hotel restaurants (particularly chain hotels) but we couldn't have been more wrong!

The food was of high quality, fresh and very enjoyable and being the only one drinking alcohol on our table, I was pleased to see the offer of half a bottle of either Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon or Rose for £5 if having three courses.

The staff were very attentive and pleasant. The only thing I disliked was the fact that a service charge of 10% being automatically added to the bill (this seems to be standard practice in hotels) as I would rather determine whether I leave a gratuity & the amount. On this occasion, I was happy to leave a 20% gratuity as an alternative.

1  Thank Deborah Louise G
Mat R, Manager at The Electric, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant recently. We are very proud of the product and service we deliver. The service charge is optional and can be removed upon request but all the monies go to the staff on the floor.

regards