“Blooming good”
Review of Marcellis Bistro and Restaurant - CLOSED

Marcellis Bistro and Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is relatively new restaurant in Newport, Lincoln. Open just 4 months and has already established a very high reputation.
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Having read the reviews I am a little nonplussed. I am a local and I have eaten here on several occasions and I just do not agree with the negative reviews. I suspect that people are just not given to eating in this type of small, family run enviroment and expect quick, in out, high street service. Thank goodness they don't offer that!
It's so blooming good that my husband and I asked Fabio and Oxanna to host our wedding reception on a saturday evening in May. They seated 20 people around a large table, as per my request and Fabio came up with some lovely menu choices. Everyone felt welcomed and unusually, everyone was served their meal, course by course, at the same time. This is no mean feat and many other restaurants I have eaten in, fail that test. Without doubt the evening was an absolute success and my guests all fell in love with the super friendly restaurant and the great food. Keep it up Fabio and Oxanna, Lincoln needs you.

2  Thank LincolnBest

Reviewed 1 May 2013

first time visiting, set menu, excellent, excellent, excellent, great food, good menu choices, great service and friendly staff.

1  Thank thompma30
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Having found a Marcelli's business card whilst spring cleaning at home, I was curious about others' experience of this establishment. I have now read all the reviews after seeing quite a few being far more negative than I was expecting.

In short, I agree with most of the positive reviews and comments, but I was surprised to learn that some reviewers felt that they had a disappointing time at Marcelli's in terms of quality of food and service. I'd be keen to try dinner there and then pass on more comments.

I have visited Marcelli's on three occasions (2 lunches and 1 early lunch/'brunch').

Visit 1, Summer 2012. After a his and hers haircut (yep - no joke) at a nearby Bailgate hairdressers, several staff members and other customers were very quick to recommend Marcelli's for a quick coffee and snack when my wife and I asked about local restaurants and cafes in case we had missed a gem of a place even though we live very locally and, on counting just now, we have dined at 41 of the 208 Lincoln restaurants listed on Tripadvisor, as well as at many others in and around Lincoln, with a wide range of impressions, from really excellent to utterly terrible, for all cuisines, menu formats and price ranges, though, I have not posted many reviews yet.

So what did we find at Marcelli's?

Easy to walk to for us but low key kerb appeal, distance from where tourists and non-locals frequent (albeit a very short distance), lack of widespread publicity and the restaurant being easy to drive past with nearby parking being perhaps not straightforward for allcomers, may all conspire to not attract as much custom as the cooking would deserve if the restaurant is located at a more popular location with more invested in advertising and interior design, but this is a small, family-run restaurant that is charming in its non-pretentiousness.

We received a very friendly greeting, came across plenty of homely calm, charm and character, without being too chintzy or fussy, though definitely no cutting edge modern trendy interior design, glamour or any olde worlde antique/historical allure that are hallmarks of some of the most popular eateries in Lincoln. However, we merely wished to address feeling thirsty and peckish with good honest food on the advice of fellow local workers/inhabitants on this occasion, rather than a big night out with fine dining, Michelin starred gastronomy and associated theatricals .

The menu board was imaginative with some interesting dishes and ingredients, readily and clearly described to us verbally in contrast to some comments in other reviews. The waitress (aka chef's wife) was very helpful, friendly and happy to discuss any questions with the chef and feed back accordingly. For this first visit we enjoyed tea, coffee and sandwiches, all reasonably priced with great quality of service, We left the premises content with a desire to return.

Visits 2 & 3, Autumn 2012 & January 2013
We had lunch on each of these visits. Visit 3 was more of an a la carte style 3-course splurge (including an interesting duck/pasta dish cooked with some flair and an excellent homemade tiramisu) Visit 2 was a good quality pub grub style, not unhealthy 2-course lunch with hot drinks and cold soft drinks . Again, we received what we sought - tasty food, well cooked, reasonably priced with friendly, polite informative service. In fact, familiarity with staff, established on visit 1, facilitated opportunities discuss finer details about how the establishment came to exist and about how the menu has evolved, including choice/use of seasonal ingredients, recipes and the evening repertoire that we have not yet tried.

By the way, the food was described as home-cooked with decent ingredients and this certainly seemed credible, with no audible microwave pings (which we have heard in other restaurants in Lincoln).

Thus, we'll try dinner next and hope to be similarly or more satisfied than our experience from our previous three meals. I'll report back after our next visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Went for Sunday Brunch...or Sunday lunch? The roast was tender and melted in the mouth. Yorkshire pudding was light and fluffy. For someone who hates roast beef,I was totally sold on the way Fabio prepared the dish...I wanted more!
The big surprise for high quality lunch was the price- amazing! £ 6.99 per person!!
It is my regular Sunday Brunch Delight.
Thank you Oxannaand Fabio.

1  Thank Sonia R
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We booked a table for 23 Feb. When we arrived we were surprised the place wasn't a little more busy for a Saturday Evening and consequently had several tables to choose from. The food was superb and excellently presented. The waitress, Oxana was very friendly and chatty and made us most welcome.

Strangely the Soup of the Day was not available, which could have been made from any ingredients, even produced from a can for all I would have known .

My only small observations were the lack of info over the wine available and the lack of extraction from the kitchen appliances but apart from that we had a brilliant evening and the food was 1st class

1  Thank steve w