“Very friendly host with delicious home made cakes” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Allotment House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lincoln
The Allotment House
Ranked #20 of 52 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Grenada
“Very friendly host with delicious home made cakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed in The Allotment House by accident really. I had booked next door at Eden House but Jane was unable to accommodate all our party. We needed a double room and a triple room, so she suggested The Allotment House for the triple room. It was perfect for our needs. Barbara was very friendly and accommodating. We were met with a lovely cup of freshly brewed coffee and wonderful home-made flapjack with ginger. Delicious.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was very good. In fact I requested a couple of things which were not on the menu and Barbara very kindly accommodated me and my son did not finish his breakfast so she provided a takeaway container so he could munch on it later. She also offered a take-away breakfast for guests in a hurry.

We had the room at the back of the house which overlooked the garden and had a lovely view of the cathedral. It was very large (enough for 3 singles beds with plenty of room in between). The room is not en-suite but the bathroom and toilet is just across the hall. We had exclusive use as the other rooms are en-suite. The bathroom and toilet were exceptionally clean and well designed. The shower was quite possibly the most powerful shower I have ever experienced. There was a lovely dish of complementary toiletries in the bathroom.

The guest house is about 15 minutes walk into the older part of Lincoln - maybe 10 minutes (we walked slowly). A taxi from the centre of Lincoln to the guest house should cost around £5 or less.

There were quite a few very good restaurants within walking distance and a few supermarkets (co-op and a discount store).

I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone who wants a convenient place to stay whilst discovering Lincoln.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are to the back of the property so all have good views of the cathedral and ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you for writing such a positive review about your visit - your very nice comments are much appreciated and I'm really happy you enjoyed your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orange, NSW Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

It was situated a good 15-minute walk from the centre of town. The twin room we had was very comfortable with our own bathroom just along the hallway. Other rooms had en suites. The room, was situated at the back of the house, so we weren’t bothered by the noise of the traffic in the busy road outside. Barbara Abbott was a very attentive hostess and went to considerable trouble to make us feel welcome. There were some nice added touches such as a tea-tray in the room and fresh cake was provided each day. A very nice breakfast was served in a pleasant dining room overlooking the garden. Barbara also allowed us to eat our take-away dinner in the dining room. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review - your comments are much appreciated and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay here.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here one night whilst on business and found this B&B to be exemplary. My hostess was very friendly and helpful without being intrusive, full of excellent dining advice (the Thai restaurant was superb) and even offered me a lift into town which one doesn't need, it is a pleasant 10 - 15 minute walk into town.
The location could not be better! One has views across a spacious rear garden, over allotments to Lincoln Cathedral...very pleasant.
My room was large, very large by British standards with extra double bed, desk, wardrobe, tv (I didn't watch it), nice bath with shower. Fresh cakes were ready for me along with a expansive selection of tea. The bed was very, very comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. A nice touch was a mini-fridge stocked with fresh milk and bottled water, thank you!
Breakfast was very good, well cooked standard English.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The double bed with views over the allotments to the Cathedral.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for this very nice review - really glad that you enjoyed your stay and were happy and comfortable.
Dunchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

What a find!!! We would strongly recommend this lovely B and B from all points of view. Barbara our hostess was so very welcoming and she could not do enough for us,even offering to drive us into the city on more than one occasion. On arrival, we were served tea and home-made cake in the garden, and the second afternoon more home-made cake was left in our room. We asked for recommendations for dinner, which on both evenings proved to be very much to our liking, in fact VERY good. Lovely room which was very tastefully decorated, overlooking the garden and with a great view of the Cathedral, Such a pity we were only there for 2 nights, but if we are ever in Lincoln again this would be our first choice. We were made to feel very much at home.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harris33a
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review - it's very much appreciated. Really happy you enjoyed your stay, in spite of the weather and also your dining out experiences. Have now printed a good selection of street maps, bus times, restaurant recommendations etc!
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I was visiting Lincoln to undertake research at the Cathedral, as I am a post-graduate student. Barbara gave me early access to my room on the day of arrival so that I could drop off my bags and my car before heading out for the day. I was made to feel very welcome, and I was well looked after. I have a wheat intolerance, but Barbara left me gluten-free cakes in my room, and bought in special ingredients for breakfast. The breakfasts were delicious, especially the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon! I was able to bring takeaways back with me at the end of the day rather than having to face eating out alone, always to find the dining room table set for me.These little touches were very thoughtful, and made me feel almost like a member of the family!
My room was lovely, incredibly spacious and well equipped. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was lovely and quiet. The location is also good, being about a 15-minute walk away from the Cathedral.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and hope to come back again soon for pleasure rather than business!

Room Tip: The double room at the back of the house is very spacious, with wonderful views of Lincoln Cathedral...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for writing this lovely review Becky - really pleased you enjoyed your stay and felt at home and hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had a lovely one night stay at The Allotment House over the early May bank holiday. What a lovely place. The owner very kindly offered to pick us up from the train station which was most appreciated as we don't drive. She was very welcoming. She showed us to our room and I was blown away straight away by the view of the cathedral from our window. The room was bright and very clean and modern - you can tell a lot of effort into this. She even provided a small fridge just outside the room with some bottled water and fresh milk which was a great touch. The bed was very comfortable and the ensuite bathroom lovely. There is a lounge for visitors use. The breakfast was a choice of full cooked or full cooked vege or scrambled eggs and salmon. We opted for scrambled eggs and salmon which was a lovely treat. She also had out some tasty fresh fruit, a choice of cereals, preserves, juice and she brought us a huge pot of tea which was lovely. Overall a great stay - shame it was only a short stay but I will certainly return there when next in Lincoln. The b&b is walking distance to most things that we needed. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments which are much appreciated. So glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 and was absolutely blown away by my hostess who was kind and accommodating and by the high standard of accomodation.

I booked an en suite double bedroom and found my room beautifully appointed with a neutral relaxing decor. The en suite shower room was very clean and even the toiletries were a little treat, hand made orange hand soap! There was even a shower cap which in my experience many B&B owners aren't considerate enough to provide.

The bed was very comfortable and there was ample room to store/spread/strew my things as needed. The view of Lincoln Cathedral is gorgeous at night and I think there were two or three rooms that face that direction.

There was a small refrigerator on the landing outside my room where my excellent hostess left a jug of fresh milk and bottled water for me to help myself, she even made sure there was cake for me in my room when I got there.

I walked a short distance to Burton Road to get a takeaway one night and on my return found that the table in the dining room had been set for me to sit and have my meal like a civilised young woman instead of pigging out in my room which was MUCH appreciated!

Other than the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs I had requested the night before, there was a breakfast spread of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and juices.

I cannot fault this B&B on any account and the price was on par with what you would expect to pay for a quality B&B in uphill Lincoln. I was very pleased, will definitely return and can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone visiting Lincoln.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the double en suite room, sunny and spacious, very quiet as it overlooks a large al...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Barbara A, Owner at The Allotment House, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review about your stay - this is a very happy start to our trip advisor listing!