“Ok, but...”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Looks inviting, but the fact that it was empty before we arrived for lunch perhaps speaks for itself. I don't really understand the "express" bit as it doesn't seem geared up for quick meals and those at anther table asked if they could order. Some of the food was tasty, although my vegetable pasta was bland. Also, a cardinal sin in my book, the bowl was not warmed, so the meal went cold very quickly. Overall, steeply priced for a straightforward "express" Italian.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Whilst staying in Lincoln visited this lovely Italian decor coffee shop. Decked out very modern furniture, colours of Italian flag, red, white and green. Pictures of famous (though I could not make all of them out) film stars on the wall and the front of an Italian racing car. The coffee was very good. It was a little late in the afternoon so cakes were rather lacking, just one piece of carrot cake and a cream muffin, but it was late on in the day. The waiter was very pleasant, efficient and welcoming. It was late on, so we were the only customers in, this seemed to make the place lack an atmosphere, very quite, but I bet at busy times it is a lively place to go and have a coffe, great fun.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Went for my birthday, all other restaurants were full, so as we hadn't booked, we went here even though we had sworn never again. The menu has changed nothing except the prices in the last 10 years, which now have reached up to £30 for fillet steak, just under £30 for stroganoff. I ordered their speciality pizza at £13 thinking that it must have a lot of topping, my husband has seafood tagliatelle. The topping was stingey - seriously who cuts an olive into 5? The base was raw dough - disgusting, and I sent it back, my husband had finished his meal by the time my very burnt offering was returned (over 15 minutes) any decent restaurant would not expect a customer to eat something black, and would have replaced at no charge, instead of bringing it to the table. My husband's food had no flavour, and had not been seasoned. We asked for the dessert menu nearly all items were based on ice cream, and not worth the price. They didn't charge for my meal, but you don't get your birthday for another year. Over priced, rubbish. If you want a pizza go to any chain or high street take away, this is not special. Our table was in the cellar, so close to the bottom of the steps that I couldn't move my chair out, and cold. Don't go here, there are plenty of others to choose from, if they are all full, go to Tescos and buy a sandwich and a packet of crisps for a more pleasant dining experience in the car.

3  Thank Lincs-Lady1
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Good food, pleasant & friendly staff who were attentive and helpful. Despite nearing their closing time, we were not rushed at any stage, the good was fresh, hot and tasty. Very reasonably priced and although we all had different food, it was all fine - no complaints and would go back again.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

In terms of food it was hot, so hot it burnt our tongues - perhaps this was to disguise the fact there was no discernible difference between the dishes we ordered. It was all nice enough, though why you can't order from the lunch menu at 1pm I don't know. Sauces were ok, rich & creamy, pasta a bit overcooked but all 'ok'. The service was truly terrible, barely a greeting on entry, pointing us to a table (only other 2 tables used), not asking if the food was ok, walking past our empty glasses 3 times without asking if refills were needed, and taking so long to bring a drink when we finally did catch his attention that we'd finished eating so it was no longer required, he also had the audacity to walk off correcting our manners by muttering "please!" under his breath when we had asked for a refill - quite the insult when he'd managed to consistently provide such poor service. Service makes a big difference to the overall impression, and Gino's 'ok' food could even be 'good' if there was either a good atmosphere or good service, but both are seriously lacking here. If Cafe Zoot or Thai#1 hadn't both been full we'd have eaten there, but at least now we know why it was so empty. Don't bother, wait for a table to become free just about anywhere else.