“Sullen staff, slow, poor customer service”
Review of Gino's l'express

Gino's l'express
Ranked #283 of 467 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were a party of six looking for a meal and were initially pleased to feel welcomed into the lively but not full restaurant. While we were waiting for starters two friends arrived and were given a separate table After our starters the restaurant started to empty and a table for eight became available so we asked if we could move and sit together. This was agreed and the table made ready. They served our two friends' main meals first which was not unexpected as they had not ordered a starter. However the rest of us waited an unacceptable length of time for our main meals. One of our party required twice and was first told they were on their way. The second it was implied the delay was our fault as we had moved tables ~ ridiculous as the chef would presumably not know unless the front of house staff deliberately asked the order of service to be changed. When the food did arrive a chicken dish was tough and a pasta dish barely warm. The staff remained surly, we never received an apology for the delay and they made us feel more of an inconvenience rather than their reason for being there and getting a salary.

3  Thank ossmh

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We left with mixed feelings.The food was well presented but unfortunately did lack flavour. We had ordered a starter of olives and bread,however this arrived after our mains. There was no apology from the waiter. At the end of the meal I explained that we were unable to eat most of the starter as it was brought out after the main. The waiter did not apologise or make any acknowledge which left us feeling frustrated. We were charged for this starter and therefore made the decision not to leave a tip. Unfortunately the staff did not make us feel welcome or give us an overall enjoyable experience. However our meal did finish on a positive as the coffee was great!

2  Thank E_W123476
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having returned to Lincoln having moved away we found this new Restaurant. It had the identical Menu to what had been my favorite Restaurant which had closed down. The food was just as good as the one GINO had previously closed down in Lincoln City Center.

The food is first class, the rib starter is to die for, Service first class.

1  Thank 963PaulT
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After reading other reviews I was a little concerned about eating here, but as everywhere else was full we decided to give it a go. My 11 year old daughter and 20 year old son dined with me, and we all enjoyed the food which was hot, plentiful, tasty and served promptly. The waiters frequently checked if we needed anything and if we were happy with our food. The only reason I didn't give it 5 was because there was no children's menu or offer of half portions. I find this unusual for an Italian restaurant, and a shame as my daughter couldn't manage the 12 inch pizza alone. We were offered the option of taking the remainder home, but we were all so full none of us could have managed it. It would be lovely if they could offer smaller portions of the delicious food to cater for smaller appetites. It wouldn't be difficult, but I have found this lack of catering for children seems to be quite the norm in Lincoln. It's a shame to waste good food.

1  Thank JackieJ19
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Looks inviting, but the fact that it was empty before we arrived for lunch perhaps speaks for itself. I don't really understand the "express" bit as it doesn't seem geared up for quick meals and those at anther table asked if they could order. Some of the food was tasty, although my vegetable pasta was bland. Also, a cardinal sin in my book, the bowl was not warmed, so the meal went cold very quickly. Overall, steeply priced for a straightforward "express" Italian.