“Rather a pity...”

Description: Authentic Thai Cuisine
Bath, United Kingdom
“Rather a pity...”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Thai Room was formally called Thai Moon. It is on the Bailgate and personally I have always preferred it to the other Thai up there, but I may have to reassess this opinion. Having not been for about four months my partner and I headed here on a Wednesday evening and decided on the buffet menu where you get a starter mix, soup, three main dishes and a veg and rice side, along with jasmine tea to finish. This priced at about £21 per person and is a pretty good bargain, or at least it would be if the food was good.

The problem with the food was that nearly everything tasted cooked from frozen, processed and bland. Of the mix that we began with the spring rolls were quite poor (on a par with supermarket frozen ones), and the chicken satay skewers tasted (and looked) odd and flavourless. Also, if you're going to add salad as a decoration make sure that it doesn't look brown... The soup, which was a hot and spicy mushroom and prawn concoction was ok, but the mushrooms were not fresh, and I even gave one of my prawns (of two) to my partner, because they were literally flavourless. This kind of food needs to be cooked from fresh, because it is very obvious when it is not.

Onto the main meals. The chicken massaman was again cooked with weird thin shaped slices of chicken and the sauce was thin as if it had been watered down. The beef and duck dishes were satisfactory. Nothing wrong with them, but neither did they sing. I didn't try the veg side, because it looked rather unappetising but my partner said it was rather bland. The egg fried rice, which I normally love here, was again rather unseasoned. By this point I felt the meal was more of a trial than a celebratory dinner and so we ordered the Jasmine Tea, which was OK and asked for the bill. Finally the house red was so cheap tasting that I had to order a beer instead; sometimes I can drink through that kind of wine, but this evening I just couldn't.

All in all it may have been just a bad day. It could also have been because we were one of only two couples there when we went. But we've been before when it's been quite empty and the food was never poor. In fact, normally we've always very much enjoyed our dinner there. I hope it is a one off, but for now I won't be going back.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank bathreviewsmc

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Delicious.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

All four of us popped in for a quick lunch while on a quick visit to Lincoln, my Dad and step mother had been before and assured us it was excellent Thai food. The experience was very authentic. The Thai sweet and sour chicken and steamed rice is the best I've ever had (I recommend you try it), all four of us have eaten Thai in competitive restaurants in London and agree Thai Moon flavours would not be out of place there. Four main courses, 3 Jasmine teas and an orange juice came to £32 which is very cheap, especially considering the great food. We will be returning should we visit Lincoln again.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Hollie and Soph... H
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“delivery service”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful food we were told that the food would be with us within the hour, it came in 20 mins astonishing for the quality the delivery personnel was very polite and also very comical definitely be ordering again soon

Visited March 2014
3 Thank 54mistress
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“non existent takeaway”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Ordered a takeaway at 8pm for collection and was told it would be ready at half 8. Arrived to find a power cut so restaurant dark but food still being cooked. A member of staff said she would collect my takeaway from the kitchen and then disappeared. Whilst I was stood waiting a woman arrived at the door, ordered a takeaway which was cooked and given to her within 10 minutes. I asked where my food was and was told they couldn't cook anymore due to the power cut! So from ordering to leaving with no food I wasted 45 minutes. I appreciate that the situation was difficult but to be left standing whilst someone else's food was cooked ahead of mine takes the mickey - not impressed.

Visited March 2014
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Tasty Food, Great Staff, Good Value for Money”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We visited the Thai Moon on Saturday night, a party of four who had been let down by another Thai restaurant in Lincoln.
We thought we would take a chance of getting a table at 8pm on a busy Saturday, and we were in luck. We were given a very friendly welcome by the staff who quickly found us a table and took our drinks order.

Drinks arrived quickly - the house white and house rose wines were very good, and the lager went down well too.

We ordered the mixed starter for four. A plate of prawn crackers and chilli dip arrived first, quickly followed by a massive starter platter. Prawn toasts, satay chicken, ribs, chicken wings, thai fishcakes, salad and dips - all well cooked, fresh and delicious.

Between us, we order 4 mains; thai green curry, a steak sizzling dish, a beef dish and a sweet and sour prawn dish, accompanied by various types of rice and a noodle side dish. Every dish was very well cooked, tasty and the portions are very generous. One minor quibble was that two of us had to wait a little longer for our main course than the others, but that really wasn't much of a problem. We ended our meal with a couple of portions of chocolate mousse cake, coffees and a pot of jasmine tea.

Despite the restaurant being very busy, the staff were attentive and quick. The male waiter was especially helpful, going to the kitchen to find out some of the ingredients in one of the dips that we really enjoyed.

This is not a plush restaurant by any means, but it is comfortable with authentic thai decorations and most of all, there is a very welcoming atmosphere. We were never rushed to finish our meals, and were able to keep the table for as long as we wanted.

The total bill for four of us for: 2 bottles of wine, 2 beers, mixed starter platter for 4, 4 mains, 4 side dishes, 2 desserts, 2 coffee and 2 jasmine tea was just over £130. Excellent value for money, we will certainly be visiting again, and would recommend.

• Visited February 2014