“Friendly hotel in lovely location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Faversham, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel in lovely location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This small hotel is right beside Lincoln Castle with its beautiful walls, opposite a sweet little garden and close to the Cathedral.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful (although my middle-aged husband and I don't really fit the epithet 'guys' which is how one member of staff addressed us).
Our courtyard room was smallish but well furnished with a comfortable bed and both firm cushions and soft pillows (feather, but the brochure says they will change if there's an allergy). It was clean and had an en-suite with good shower. There was a hospitality tray in the wardrobe - being a bit dim we didn't find it for a while!
Breakfast was certainly adequate - I only take Continental but my husband seemed to enjoy his cooked breakasts.
There was not as much information on Lincoln itself as I would have liked to find in the room, eg a map and a bit of the history (perhaps the Tourist Office have suitable leaflets).
The car park is rather small, but we were advised of this in advance and there is a large carpark just across the road.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are opposite the kitchen which can be a little noisy and of course there are kit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the hotel.
Good points: Ideal location

Bad points
Parking is a nightmare,especially when the hotel is busy.
Cobwebs in the room during our stay,torn wallpaper,mould around the bottom of the shower cubicle. They may have spent £1m on a refit but there is no attention to detail in the cleanliness of the rooms. The en suite was tiled in Grey/black tiles thus making the room sombre. Some tile feature would have improved the look. (see photos). I would have informed the hotel about the cobwebs but I wanted to see if they were dealt with during our 3 night stay. Sadly, they were not. Definitely not worth the price paid. Breakfast was adequate but nothing exceptional.
We were in a courtyard room with spectacular views of the small car park. Try to avoid having one of these rooms if possible.
For a hotel centrally situated you would have thought that the least they would do would be to have leaflets for both the Castle and Cathedral at reception. The very small display of leaflets on the reception desk did no have either.
I hope the management take these points on board and improve the customer experience.

Room Tip: Do not have a courtyard room. There are no views of anything other than the car park and the room is...
2 Thank c r
SarahA, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

There are a number of issues raised but the first one I would like to answer is the Housekeeping issue. This is certainly not the norm and this is now being dealt with internally. I would like to apologise for your issues on this during your stay.

\With regard to the other issues. Parking is offered complimentary which is something most guests see as a benefit. There are two large car parks across the road from the Hotel which offer 24 hour parking if our parking was not to your satisfaction.
The décor of the bathroom is clearly a personal taste and not something we have had a negative remark about previously.
Your stay was in one of our three Courtyard rooms which do not have views, this is something we advise every guest of and is reflected in the price of the room. As you booked through a booking agent, we do not have this direct contact but it does state on their website that this is the case.
We offer maps of the area and leaflets no Reception which clearly we run out of regularly. As we are so close to the Cathedral and Castle and only a couple of minutes walk to either, we do not worry too much about leaflets as most guests wonder there anyway. We will however improve this.

We take customers comments very seriously and are already acting on your comments. We always ask if you have had a good stay on check-out so we can deal with issues then and not in this forum.

Regards,
Saera
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at the Castle Hotel for a one night business trip. Overall it was a very comfortable and pleasant stay. Arrival with the rather stunning view of the flood lit cathedral certainly puts you on a good mood. Rooms are well furnished and very comfortable. I was able to do a good couple of hours of work using the very good internet connection in the room.

Parking is a little limited, but there is parking opposite in a council car park. Its probably worth being aware that the hotel does have parking permits for "residents only" spaces before you buy a parking ticket if the main hotel car park is full.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my boyfriend for 2 nights. We had a 'suite' it was gorgeous. Couldn't fault it. Especially loved to twin sinks an 'drench' shower. We didn't want to leave!
Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely go back

• Stayed May 2014
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights in the apartment. The hotel itself is well-placed for the city centre and has a modern but welcoming feel.

The apartment has a private parking space which is s blessing as parking seemed fairly limited. Our accommodation was lovely: a comfortable lounge area, well-equipped kitchen, two quiet bedrooms and a small but functional bathroom. Cleanliness could not be faulted. The bed (we used only one!) was lovely.

One complaint - we had to call twice to get the heating on. Reception came back with some tale about it taking a while to heat up etc. Now, at the price of this accommodation, it should be on and warm BEFORE I arrive. I told them and I hope they sort it out as it was the only fly in the ointment.

Breakfast was OK. The buffet items were lovely and service was attentive but the full-English was not the best I've had - in fact, I disliked the sausages but that was a matter of personal taste (odd blend of seasoning).

Bear in mind my finicky tastes and intolerance when reading this review! We loved this place and certainly will be going back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
britabroad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the Castle Hotel for 2 nights booking a deluxe room. We were given a room in the eaves with no window just a couple of skylights which could not be opened and the only view being sky. The room was oppressively hot and there was no air conditioning and no fan. When I complained I was told to turn off the radiator - I already had! They were totally disinterested that we were unhappy. Also our coffee was not replaced when the room was cleaned and we had to phone to get that. The only good point was that the breakfast was okay except that the first morning we were not given any toast and on the second one we had to ask twice before we got some. I will most certainly never go back there again or recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
3 Thank jbjw21
SarahA, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Having read your review, I feel the need to answer immediately as I hope people reading your review will understand it as not typical for the Hotel. In fact, the review left also on the 5th May titled 'Excellent Hotel' following your review is for exactly the same room in the eaves.
I take solace from their review.

To answer a few points; the windows do open. If we had known you were unhappy in the room, we would have moved you. One of our Deluxe's is in the Eaves as described on our website, if you had booked direct with us we would have made you aware of this as we do with every booking. We are unable to offer air conditioning - not many hotels in this country do - as we are a listed building. If a fan had been requested, one would have been provided immediately to you.

We work extremely hard at customer service which I think shines out from other reviews. I have complete confidence that my staff would have done everything in their power to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

We are a small, independently owned Hotel and our guests experiences matter to us. All that we ask is that we are given the chance to put right any issues while you are still with us, writing a damning review once you have left helps no-one.

Regards,
Saera
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to visit Lincoln en route and stayed one night. We booked at the very last minute and took the last room which was in the eves of the hotel. The hotel is located by the castle and is in an excellent location to walk to all the places of interest. There is free parking which is an added bonus. The room was spacious and very comfortable with a good sized bathroom. There is free wifi throughout the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not cheap but the service and the quality of the rooms are very good and as stated the location could not be better. The breakfast was also very good. This part of Lincoln is lovely and the hotel added to our enjoyment.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple