“Top class hotel in a charming city”
Review of The Castle Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Castle Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Top class hotel in a charming city”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Plenty of research went into choosing a hotel in Lincoln, a city new to us. Other reviews of The Castle Hotel were glowing and we have to say we agree with them after a very good three night stay.

Great location with parking and directly opposite the castle, so a pretty spectacular view. It sits at the top end of the city, not far from the cathedral and amidst pretty cobbled streets of great independent shops, galleries and some very good wine shops. Also, so many good restaurants to choose from within walking distance.

Hotel has a nice boutique feel, but with a warm and welcoming atmos. Staff are really very good indeed and we felt valued (not always the case with hotels in this price range).

Room was up 4 flights (no lift) but was fine as I'm desperately trying to get more exercise. nice sized room (I think we had a deluxe double) and great shower. Bed was a bit firm for us, so a few aching backs but not much they could do about that.

Very good breakfast menu! Local produce and very tasty with quick, cheery service. Can't fault anything here.

In fact the food all round was excellent. Delicious lunch menu, very good wine menu and a sunny space outside to enjoy it. I earn a living as a sometime restaurant reviewer, and we ate at the Reform on our last night. Unpretentious menu, some interesting veg choices for once (lunch and al a carte menus) and we found ourselves enjoying one of the best meals we've had in a long time. I'm not sure who they have in the kitchen, but they are excellent. Lovely plates with great combination of aesthetics and flavour, with not too many 'cheffy' touches. Can't recommend highly enough. Dining room has a lovely atmosphere too, welcoming, comfortable but not too 'fine dining'.

If we had any tips for things we'd add to make things absolutely perfect (for us) it would be these:

Some comfortable seating outside for reading, the chairs aren't quite there and we'd have given a lot for an outdoor sofa to lounge on. Same could be said indoors, the banquettes in the bar are a bit unforgiving. A sofa somewhere would have been a boon.

Feather duvet and pillows. We know we could have asked for these to be changed, and we know they'd have been happy to do it, but it seemed a faff, even though I'm allergic. I'd say put the non-feathered variety on first or ask at time of booking

Finally, the lovely lady who took our dinner order wasn't quite au fait with the menu and couldn't really answer our questions. It's a small thing but perhaps a better briefing would have matched the excellent cooking.

All in all, if you are looking for an exceptional hotel in Lincoln with truly great service and food, you've found it. It wasn't cheap but we've paid more for less and we felt we had value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We chose this Hotel from the reviews on Trip Adviser and I must say we were very pleased with it. The room was clean and very comfortable. The location couldn't have been better, very close to the Cathedral and Castle. The service was excellent as was the breakfast. My only negative comment would be that the room is quite dark and I didn't have a mirror near the window to do my makeup. But that was only a small negative overall very pleased with the overall experience.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The hotel has very friendly and helpful staff, the room was modern, very clean and had the normal amenities. Breakfast (included) was very good. Would be my first choice if returning to Lincoln. Enjoyed my stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I recently spent four nights at the Castle Hotel, Lincoln. I found the staff to be both helpful and charming, and as I was taking the short break on my own. They contributed greatly and the food towards making my trip pleasurable. That and the lovely county of Lincolnshire itself of course.
Michelle Pickering

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

From the time we arrived we found the staff extremely welcoming and helpful. We were shown to our room (104). The executive rooms are small but more than adequate. The bathrooms are nicely appointed with walk in shower. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows.

A word of advice if you are a light sleeper like me , - avoid room 104, as this is above the kitchen and dinning room sink and we found it very warm and noisy. Be aware that the Cathedral clocks chimes every 15 mins!

The breakfast was freshly cooked and once again the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bowlesuk
gosport
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped off on our way south, hotel is perfectly positioned above old part of town, room was good, clean and comfy. Staff were helpful and very friendly, breakfast was very good and this hotel has parking(free) bonus!!
Would definitely stay here again many thanks bob & angie

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rooster61
nottingham england
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

It's obvious to me that the owner of this small boutique hotel cares passionately about his customers requirements and what more can a customer expect. Quality in the bedrooms and presentation in the restaurant and I'm a retired hotelier and critic!
I big well done to Paul and thank you from Peter Groves.
(thelodgeatruddington.com)