All reviews the pub speed bumps passing places fish pie white chocolate cheesecake narrow lane separate block tow path single track access road nice meal car park birthday meal sunday lunch main building lovely location disabled room
Reviewed 26 February 2018

My husband and I booked here for Valentine this year as we had been the year before and it was excellent. It was a fixed menu again, no problem, as last years was wonderful. However, we did not enjoy the courses as much this year. Similar menus - steaks and fish etc, but my husbands steak was not as tender and my lamb course a little on the dry side and was not as delicious as the lamb cutlets I have had previously. For dessert we chose the white chocolate cheesecake as previously it was a to die for for decadence, but I am afraid this year it seemed a little ordinary. We did enjoy the meal this year, but it wasn't the same really thought out menu we had been used to. We always go to the Pyewipe as it is a more high end pub and we reserve it for special occasions. I would have said I can't wait for another visit and I am hoping the rest of the menu is as good as it always was, but now I am wondering if they are slipping just a little?? I hope not. Also just a mention the staff seemed a little ragged around the edges and it did result in a couple of meals ending up on the floor and almost on other diners. An accident yes, but off putting for a professional run establishment.

Room tip: Didn't stay
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Judy M
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Booked in to stay one night. This is a well known local inn strategically sited by the Fossdyke and canal footpaths. The forest of outdoor tables is testimony to its popularity. Room in an annexe was good standard- Wi-fi worked very well. En suite bathrooms could benefit from more tiling as painted walls tend to the scruffy.
Breakfast was Ok- menu asks customers to choose one of the hot options. Please note Toast and preserves was one of these options, NOT as well as!

Also:

1 As noted by others access is by single track lane with passing places- just not what you expect.
2 Speed bumps are not marked- and are high. Be careful.
3 Junction with the fast main road is not good at all, especially turning right.
4 Car Park in winter was a series of puddles- as also previously noted.
5 Reception is in the main eating area- not good practice.
6 Receptionist who booked us in had no paperwork and I had to write name and address on a scrappy bit of paper.
7 At lunch time big dog was walking around eating area sniffing everyone who came in- impression was that this is the dogs home. On this aspect alone we would not comeback to eat at lunch. This is below standard.

Give this a miss in future.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely little hotel with the accommodation separate from the main building,the room was very nice with everything you need and very clean, a very comfortable bed!. The food in the restaurant was very good and the staff very helpful. Even though I was only there for one night for work, it was a good experience and I would certainly visit the Pyewipe again.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2018

We stopped going to the Pyewipe Inn some time ago for various reasons, but we took our dogs for a walk today and then had a relaxing lunch there.
We ordered coffee and two baguettes, a beef and horseradish along with a bacon and brie.
Cut in half and swapped to have a piece of each. We also ordered a portion of chops.
The food came within ten fifteen minutes and it was clearly freshly made. Great food, crispy chips and a very nicely dressed side salad that was refreshingly tasty.
Service was with a smile and we had a chat with the landlord, who appeared genuinely happy to see us.
The lunch cost 20 quid, but it was worth it. We are now looking to have dinner there next time.
I note their three course Valentines menu is out for a total of £27 and it looks very nice.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2017

My first time visiting this location and I was very impressed. It had been booked by a friend and there were three of us. After perusing the menu I went to order at the bar and when I asked for a half lager for one of my friends I was asked which one and given a choice of three. I had no idea so my friend came over who also had no idea and so was given tasters of all 3! This was an indication of the level of service throughout the night and I was extremely impressed.
The food was also of a very good quality and at a reasonable price. We all chose different items from the entree and dessert sections and were all very happy with our choices.
I cannot recommend highly enough!

Date of stay: December 2017