“Disappointed is an understatement”

Dunston Pillar Farm B&B
Ranked #30 of 48 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Disappointed is an understatement”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My mum booked the B&B for me and my partner to go to after our wedding, as she had read excellent reviews and the photos etc looked lovely. It was a surprise to me and a present. Mum had good communication leading up to the big day. However on the day, our venue was in a setting where we had no signal, and texts regarding our arrival time weren't received. We were delayed leaving the venue and didn't get to the B&B until 12.45pm, normal check-in is 11pm. We arrived I. The dark, knocked on every door, shined the torch and left the cars full beams on, rang the doorbell, dogs were barking and a light was on but we got no response.

After a fantastic day, we weren't sure if we had got the wrong venue etc. we hung around for about half an hour and in the end we had to make the decision to either sleep in the car, find alternative accommodation or return home to a house of wedding guests. Not the way you want to spend your first night as a married couple!! Whilst we acknowledge we were late, in our experience (even when it is for a special occasion) keys are left in doors, under something etc to accommodate guests.

My mum had received correspondence about arrival time etc but due to having no signal they were delayed coming through. The final text my mum received read "I waited until 12.30 and then went to bed. They came just before 1am. Dogs told me! I can't check anyone in so late. Apart from the fact I need to sleep, I have to think of my other guests. If someone had called previously to collect key and run through check in it would have been fine. Really sorry. Just can't do that late. Hope they had a wonderful day. I did get room lovely and got pastries in as you said. On well :("

We accept we were late but the fact that Ellen could take my mothers money (as she prepaid to make sure it all ran smoothly) and leave a bride and groom roaming around and having to make alternative arrangements when she was well aware that they are outside due to the dogs barking etc can only be described as disgraceful. Even if she had come out and was annoyed, angry etc anything would have been better than leaving us stood outside.

Apologises to the guests that were there that night as Ellen's reasoning of not wanting to disturb you was quite ironic as we knocked, rang the bell and shined our torch in your windows to the sound of dogs barking in the background!!

What I am upset about most is how disappointment my mother is, we only had the venues postcode and she couldn't predict how late we were going to be, she just had to hear from us that her arrangements an come to no avail. In hindsight I am glad we didn't stay as I wouldn't have wanted to to stay at a venue were the owner has so little integrity and compassion for their guests

3 Thank Barry M
Ellen C, Manager at Dunston Pillar Farm B&B, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Darling I hope you had a wonderful day, prior to my terrible mistake of going to bed after waiting up late and clueless for a couple of strangers I didn't know were coming.

I extended your check in time from 10pm to 11pm on your mothers request. I texted your mother to ask where you were at almost 12am. I got no response, I had no clue you were even still coming. I was very tired after a long day, which included making your room beautiful with flowers chocolates and a special card.
When you arrived at almost 1am, you didn't stay long. You prowled around my property just long enough to wake my other guests, and my little girl as well as the dogs.
You didn't stay long enough to hear her crying, and checking you in at this point was not my first priority. You left just as I entered her room to sooth her back to sleep and tell her it wasn't burglars at the window.
Even despite your rude attempt to enter MY HOME at this unwelcome hour, I was prepared to offer you another night as compensation for your mistake of NOT collecting the key. (I'm sorry, but I will never leave a key to my home, outside anywhere for perfect strangers to let themselves in and invade all of the occupied bedrooms before they find a vacant one.)
However your mother did not contact me to sort out another nights stay.
So I'm terribly sorry, but I am a tad reluctant to check in drunk strangers at 1am after they have woken my guests and children. ( after neglecting to inform me of any late arrival. )

Perhaps next time you get married, you might look at staying in a Travelodge. I believe they have a manned desk at all hours, being a hotel 'n all.
I think it's probably much more your thing anyway.
P.S. The vomit you left in my garden was testament to the state you'd have left my room in. Cheers!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked this as a stopover on the way to Hull and were just amazed by the delightfulness of the place. We were greeted by Ellen (the proprietor) as we arrived and personally shown over our gorgeous room (the master suite). Lovely views over the surrounding countryside, a beautiful bathroom (with jacuzzi - just the ticket after a long drive), an amazingly comfortable bed and a perfectly cooked breakfast by Alison. We couldn't have wished for more except a longer stay, we will definitely return here and want to shout out it's delights from the rooftops but really would like to keep this place secret!!

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were welcomed by Ellen as soon as we arrived and from that moment onwards we had the best time. We just cannot fault this B & B in any way. Wonderful breakfast and extra touches such as fresh strawberries with my yoghurt this morning. The location was perfect to visit Lincoln and Heckington Show. and we just had the best time. Wonderful house and beautiful animals as well. Thankyou. I'm sure we will return and feel privileged to have stayed in your lovely home. Alex & Mark Watson

stockport
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Booked this before I had read the other reviews but I can only endorse all the good things others have said. Ellen is a natural host and her daughter and two dogs made us feel very welcome. The location is beautiful but very easily accessed (make sure you ask for directions because there are no signs up yet). We only stayed one night but felt very comfortable in the beautiful Stables bedroom. I imagine it must be a great place for star gazing with no light pollution at night. We will be back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz d
Reviewed 17 June 2014

a beautiful B&B surrounded by beautiful countryside. I had the pleasure of staying for 3 nights & it was sheer bliss I will definately be staying again it's quiet clean & very friendly the lady of the house is an absolute diamond nothing is a chore i would highly recommend staying here ***** see you again soon :) FANTASTIC

• Stayed June 2014
Reading
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic farmhouse Bed and breakfast, a great room with lovely en suite and warm and friendly welcome. A superb quiet location within a taxi ride of Lincoln and it's cathedral. Great breakfast with freshly laid eggs.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank WrightyReading
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Abbiamo passato una notte al Duston Pillar Farm io, mio marito e i nostri due bambini di due e cinque anni. Il posto era meraviglioso e l'accoglienza di Ellen eccezionale. I bambini hanno giocato nel cortile con gli animali e si sono divertiti moltissimo. La camera era molto spaziosa e pulita. Il bagno enorme con una vasca idromassaggio. La colazione al mattino di ottima qualità. E' stata la miglior colazione inglese di sempre. Posto raccomandatissimo.

We spent one night at the Duston Pillar Farm, my husband, my children (2 and 5 years old) and I. It is an amazing place and Ellen has been very welcoming. Kids played outside with the animals and they enjoyed it very much. Room was spacious and very well cleaned. The bathroom was huge and there was a Jacuzzi. Breakfast was terrific and the food great. We had the best Full English breakfast ever. We strongly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Miriam C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Premier Inn Lincoln (Canwick) Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddington
Eagles Guest House
Eagles Guest House
#1 of 3 in North Hykeham

Been to Dunston Pillar Farm B&B? Share your experiences!