“Nice restaurant, great food”

The Old Bakery Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 451 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Old Bakery Restaurant with Rooms is ideally located in the Uphill area of Lincoln, close to Lincoln Cathedral, Castle and many other points of historic interest in the Cathedral Quarter with it’s popular mix of original shops, cafes and public houses which are to be found on the Bailgate and Steep Hill. The surroundings at The Old Bakery are rustic, relaxed and informal.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A Small well run restaurant with good well cooked food. Fairly limited menu but all good. Excellent resets. Staff very efficient.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Booked in at the old bakery for 1nights accommodation and meal. On arrival we were given choice of 2rooms. All rooms have been upgraded since our last visit, and been done very nicely. New smart bathrooms as well. Couldn't find fault with the room, lovely and cosy, very clean. Went down for the meal, we both chose the Italian tasting menu with wine. Absolutely fabulous, and I think we are both fussy. The food was first class, both taste and presentation. Just waiting now to go to breakfast which I'm sure will be great.

1  Thank Harrit123
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Our first visit to the Old Bakery will also be our last. Although the setting was pleasant, we cant say the same about the food.
Considering the reputation we were expecting something special, but were slightly concerned after reading recent reviews. The food was well presented,but lacking in quality. The restaurant boasted fresh locally sourced ingredients, but somehow managed to produce food that would have been more at home at Whetherspoons.
The quality of wine was poor and supermarket standard.
But we did enjoy the chefs selection of stale bread and popcorn covered in tumeric, which was worrying for an a la carte restaurant

13  Thank katie12Leeds
theoldbakery, Owner at The Old Bakery Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Katie,
How disappointing and almost expected this review is!

Lets go through "Your" brief and not well planned visit at our restaurant:

A young teenage couple, giggling all the 30 minutes you have been in our restaurant,
in which you were rude to the waitress and had Only 2 main courses! both of which you ate everything.

Complaining about our bread, which was made 2 hours before we opened the restaurant, i find it very offensive, we do not use frozen ready made bread.

Whom ever you work for, you gave a good plug to Wetherspoons.

i guess we all Love Tripadvisor!!!!!

PS: next time at least have a starter or dessert to make sure we don't realise what is the motive for your visit at The Old Bakery.

Ivano de serio

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I last reviewed the old bakery in sept 2012 and raved about our visit.
We visited last night and unfortunately the visit wasn't as satisfying as pervious ones.
We had the sampling menu as usual and everything was going wonderfully until the pork dish (Pork, prosciutto and sage saltimbocca on tarragon infused crushed pea and lemon sauce) came out. There were four of us at the table and none of us could tolerate the amount of lemon in the sauce, it tasted medicinal, the lemon had not been burnt off enough.
The owner/chef went to most tables to chat with the guests at the end of meals, he didn't approach ours but as we left I told him that everything had been good apart from the pork. I found him I little patronising, telling us that it was probably just not to our taste and it's the way the Italians make it.
I am not Italian but do have taste buds and there is no way the lemon sauce was edible, how often does the whole table dislike the same dish so much?
It somewhat spoilt things.

The staff as always were attentive and polite with good wine recommendations.

3  Thank cazlilly
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Wow what an experience ! Went yesterday for a belated birthday treat for my husband and had the privilege of delicious food and exceptional service. We went for the 5 course taster menu which was divine, there was an option of a wine to go with each course which my husband chose I was unfortunately driving :( so a nice soft drink for me.

The waiter was a delight knowledgable, polite and had just the right level of attentiveness, we were advice to try the wine before each course ( well I had to try a little of each one didn't I) and then with the food, in our house wine is either nice or not and will go through the whole meal, so to be talked through and experience these subtle changes was an education we were happy to be part of, and have now been converted from my beloved merlot to the moscato.

The food well fabulous, delicious and initiative, now I do pride myself on a good food palette and this was a treat, he in doors is a meat and 2 veg kinda guy but even he tried and enjoyed everything! I feel that my words are not enough to give these guys the credit they deserve which is frustrating.

The taster menu is a considered purchase but well worth the money, we went at lunch where they do a great 2 or 3 course option at a very reasonable price and great portion sizes. Please try this place in my opinion quality in restaurants are few and far between and we have one right here.

Thank you to everyone who was part of making the experience such a pleasure.

1  Thank Milos M